Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Budgies escaped and I am heartbroken

slightlycrimson

• Members
slightlycrimson

My two baby birds made a break for it out of a window that unexpectedly flew open a couple days ago in the evening. I went out and called for them with their cage and fave treat but no response. Woke up at sunrise and did the same. Put posters up and posted in pet places- everything I'm supposed to do. But honestly it feels like my heart is broken. I've been crying since they left and my chest aches with pain. I keep dreaming restlessly that they came back and waking up and realising it's not real and it hurts all over again. I keep thinking i've heard them, or I look over to their play area out of habit to check on them and it's empty and quiet. I've never experienced this level of pain before and parts of me keep dipping into not wanting to be alive either. I'm disabled and stay at home a lot and they were the lights of my life. I looked up survival chances of domestic budgies in the wild and it doesn't look good. I know i should hold out hope that maybe someone will see them but I have this dark feeling I'm never going to see them again. I miss them with every part of myself. I got them when they fledged the nest and they've been with me causing havoc and chippering away for almost a year. I keep being reminded and just bursting into tears again. I'm finding it so unbearable, worrying if they're hungry out there or scared. I just feel completely lost and don't want to do anything. I loved them so much. They were everything to me. What do I do?
Pixie is the yellow sweetheart and pumpkin the blue.

DjDwWvJW4BIhmUr.jpg

• Moderators

I am so sorry.  Years ago I had parakeets.  One of them escaped one day and we couldn't get him back, but miraculously we got him back three days later, he didn't go far.  You say you are disabled, are you able to look for them around your property?  I know you said you went out with the cage and treats, but didn't know if you were able to look beyond that.  You are probably the person they'd most likely come to.  Keep trying, saying a prayer for your budgies.

• Members

Oh no I am sorry. :(

KayC is right, keep trying. Keep putting treats out at least. Maybe that will help them survive. 

Archived