Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Max is gone, and I can’t cope with it...

Julindres

• Members

My parents took an economic blow and had to move. We live in Florida and renting a cheap place is impossible if you have a big dog, nobody accepts them. I tried like crazy to even find someone to take him but no one could which made me very angry. On July 23 we had to put him to sleep. And it broke my heart harder than I thought it ever would. I’m a student and only have a part time job so I could not take him nor help my parents. I’m an introvert and my wonderful Maxi was my best friend. Through all my troubles and struggles he was there every second, he was 12.  Even when he was alive I couldn’t wait to get home to hug him and kiss him and even sing songs I made for him. And now, he is just not there, and even if I searched the universe he is not here anymore. I can’t cope with it, the sadness is killing me, I lost all my appetite and will to do anything. I’m a very closed up person so I don’t really have anybody to talk to about it...I just can’t cope with it. I love him so much 

B0F07A9F-352B-4A68-BDD9-AD971B8A9434.jpeg

• Members

What a beautiful, lovely and kind dog. I am so sorry for your Loss. How sad I am to learn of what you had to go through - if I understood correctly you decided to euthanize your dog because he could not be placed somewhere else? This is just so hard I cannot imagine how you must be feeling Julindres nor can I think of much to say to comfort you at this moment, forgive me. Just sending my love and say you are not alone. There others here who have experienced your grief and you will hear from more people who care.

• Members

Thank you so much. Yes he was old, but he might have had a little more time in him. We couldn’t just leave him in a shelter, that would have been horrible for him. So after not finding a home that would take him we decided that is best to put him to sleep. He went in peace but left a huge gap...he really was the reason why home was a happy place even at 12 he acted like a puppy, played and did dramas...we miss our boy, wished I had enough to have been able to do something for him...

• Members

I so relate to what you said about home being a happy place because Max was there. My house needs rebuilding as a home since my cats died and I lack the will to do so. Life has changed forever and their absence renders most of the days meaningless. It just hurts so much and just carrying this pain consumes most of my energy. Yet I think you and I were blessed to have lived in their company for so many years and to have known such love and devotion. I believe it stays with us forever. We do go on loving them and death does not take it away from us. 

• Moderators

I am crying as I write this.  How very hard that decision must have been, I can't imagine!  How horrible that there was no rescue willing to take him and find him a good home.  :( But know that even at the end you had his best interests at heart, not wanting him to be scared or feel abandoned, and you did what you felt was best for him.  I can only imagine how painful this was, how hard for you to be missing him every day.  He looks like a wonderful boy.

• Members

Thank you KayC, I’ve read a lot of posts in which you write in, and I thank you a lot for your compassionate work. He was the best boy ever, and gorgeous too. I think of him every second of the day, it’s only been 3 days and everything is still so fresh. I’m having a really hard time just comprehending that he is not here anymore...he was the best 

• Members

My heart breaks for you. :(

My Mom did something similar when I was a teenager. We lost the place we were living and practically homeless and the dog we had was fairly old as well. There were just no good options. And we were having so many issues all at once. I am so sorry you had to go through this - this is a really tough loss. I know how sad you are and probably have a lot of life stress now too. Please remember the great life you did provide even though the end was not ideal. (Honestly it is not ideal for any pet as it ends in sickness and sometimes suffering.)  

• Members

We gave him an amazing life, he was loved by everybody in the house and we all treated him like a king. The end was so fast and unexpected it cought me by surprise. I knew he was old but I was expecting at least 1 or 2 more years with him. I’m having a really hard time thinking that I’m never gonna see him again, it makes me very sad. I’m also scared of forgetting about him and I don’t know why. I would never.

• Members

I know about being scared about that. I am at almost one year without the cat I lost last August which crushed me. I remember him so well. I still miss him. Thank God the daily pain is gone. You'll never forget and what is now pain will be just good feelings.

• Moderators
On 7/26/2018 at 6:49 AM, Julindres said:

I’m having a really hard time just comprehending that he is not here anymore...he was the best

Grief is such a process, it does take quite a while for it to sink in, for us to process it, let alone begin to adjust.  Give yourself time, patience, understanding.  This is a tough adjustment.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, AJWCat said:

You'll never forget and what is now pain will be just good feelings.

So true.  I remember when I lost my husband, memories brought pain...in time, much time, those same memories brought comfort and a smile as I thought of him.  I don't think it's any different when we lose our pets.  Now I enjoy remembering...

I'm glad it changes.

Archived