Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Fire took all of mine and my boyfriends pets.

Mandy7-10-18

• Members
Mandy7-10-18

On Tuesday 7/10/18 I left work at 3pm on my lunch break to go home and take out the 2 dogs. I had a small poodle and my bf had a large golden retreiver. I also had a large ragdoll cat. We live in a duplex/condex and when I pulled into the drive way,  as usual, I noticed the neighbors yelling at me that my house was on fire.  Since the central air was on and we both were at work the house was closed up tight.  I went in the house from the basement entrance by the drive way,  opened the door at the top of the stairs to the kitchen and thick black smoke came piling out.  I called for the animals but it was such thick smoke I had to go back out. Soon after the firetrucks started arriving,  police,  utilities etc. The firemen found all 3 animals together in my bedroom where they felt safe but there was so much smoke and soot they didn't make it. We lost everything but worse than the house and everything we own we lost our closest family members.  I can't help but feel that i wasn't there to protect them when they needed it the most.  I miss them so so so much.  This is the hardest thing I have ever experienced.  

20180711_130430.jpg

• Members
Jack Russell

I am so so sorry for your loss. How horrendous for you to loose such beautiful animals in such a matter.  I am grieving for the loss of my dog who I had put to sleep three weeks ago and the pain doesn't seem to be getting any better as I miss her so much.  Belongings can be replaced, but your beautiful pets are a greater loss.  My heart goes out to you, what an awful thing to have happened.  I know how you feel unfortunately and it is not easy.  Grief is a terrible thing to cope with.  Take comfort in reading the stories on this website.  We are here for you.  When your up to it please tell us more about your beautiful family members.  Coping with something like this is difficult when an accident has happened.  Though my little dog was 16 she ended her life in so much pain and I am crying a lot as I miss her so much and I feel such blame.  Lots of love to you.

• Moderators

OMG, I am crying as I read this, how horrible!  I want to assure you that it would have gone fast for them and they would have been out before the fire reached them, not unlike being asleep.  But losing them is a huge loss on top of all of your possessions and home.  I'm glad they were together where they felt more secure.  You did nothing wrong, have nothing to feel guilty about, I know I can say that but you aren't feeling that way, guilt is often a byproduct of grief.  We're looking for a way with a different outcome, but there isn't any, you could not have predicted or known this would happen.  You weren't negligent.  I'm just so sorry.  I hope these articles will help you deal with your feelings.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf

http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml

• Members

No words. So heartbroken for you. I was in shock when I lost my cat very suddenly and I imagine you were and maybe still are.

KayC is right and also there is nothing to feel guilt over, this was a terrible accident out of your control. I hope that you are okay I am sure you have a lot to do picking up the pieces. One step at a time... my heart truly does go out to you. 

• Members
My buddy Thomas

Mandy,

I am so sorry for your tragic loss. Im at a loss for words except to say this forum has been helpful to me in getting my feelings out and I hope it is helpful for you. Your pets are beautiful. May they rest in peace.

Archived