Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Our Sima is gone

tjsteinf

• Members

It has been nearly three weeks since we lost our beloved, sweet kitty, Sima, and time doesn't seem to be helping. She was only five years old, and until the day before she died, we thought she was healthy as a horse. She had such a huge personality: she was very vocal, playful, and so affectionate. Her absence is so profoundly felt, it is just horrible. The grief comes in waves (BIG ones), and I feel unable to function. We have been through losing pets before, and it's always hard, but this is devastating, because she was so young, and it was so sudden. It was three weeks ago today that I noticed something just wasn't right. She just wasn't herself. By Saturday night, she was gone. Just like that. We had to make the awful decision to let her go, because her immune system was turning on her. 
She spent most of her time upstairs, and she would always come running out of one of the bedrooms (whichever provided the best view of the birds outside at any given time), to greet us happily and ask for food (she always thought she was starving). Now, going upstairs is torture, because even though I know she's gone, I still expect to see her, to hear her, and to feel her affectionate rubs against my legs and my hand when I reached down to pet her. I expect to feel her next to me when I wake up in the morning, because she was always right there, cuddling up with us. My husband and I are just crushed. I don't know how to deal with this. I was avoiding pet loss forums since we lost her, because I thought it might make me feel worse. But today, I have realized that it can't get worse than this. I feel so lost, and so profoundly sad. I just can't believe we're never going to see our beautiful, sweet girl again and I can't stop crying. I'm angry, because we feel robbed; cheated out of all of the years she was supposed to be with us. But there's nowhere to direct the anger, and the pain is nearly unbearable. We'd have done anything to save her, but it just couldn't be done. Goodbye, sweet Sima. Your daddies will hold you in our hearts forever.

IMG_5483.JPG

• Members
Jack Russell

Oh how lawful to hear your story and what a lovely cat.  I have recently lost my dog Kelly and I'm also finding it hard to accept.  She was in my life for 16 years.  I am grateful for the 16 years but unfortunately she came to a very painful end.  Read some of the stories on this forum and they will help.  It shows your not alone in your grief as we are all suffering or have suffered through the loss of our beloved pets.

• Members

I am so so sorry for your loss of sweet Sima. What a beautiful cat. If you saw some of my posts from last August, our words are so similar. We lost our wonderful cat at 15 - unexpectedly like you, but not so young. :( 

I am sure you guys are in shock. I know how lost you feel. When our cat got sick and died in 2 hours time, the world turned very very dark. The daily joy I/we had was basically gone. I know that sounds dramatic but our cat was such a part of our lives. We have no kids so he was like our child. He was almost like a dog in some ways, he was with us all the time.  

So... I wish I could give you some great advice or wisdom. It's hard when you love a creature so much. You just have to give it time. Patience. Cry. Grieve. Be angry. (So I was so so mad!!) And then eventually you just get exhausted and then find something that looks like peace. I hope sharing and reading here has helped you. Believe me I know where you are right now and my heart goes out to you. 

• Members

I’m so sorry for the loss of your beloved Sima. I understand how you feel. I had to suddenly let my 9 year old Pomeranian, Snowball, go on Tuesday. She hadn’t been wanting to eat her dog food or treats a week prior. The vet decided it was maybe her stomach and she was put on medicine to help. This previous Monday she wouldn’t eat at all and began throwing up on and off through the night. I took her back to the vet, only to discover she was in kidney failure via blood test. There was nothing that could be done for her and I had to make a difficult decision. She was still young and full of life and it’s so hard without her here. Take as much time as you need to grieve. I know it’s hard. And it’s ok to feel angry as you lost her young. You were able to give her a loving home for her 5 years of life. I hope you are able to find some comfort on here. 

• Moderators

@tjsteinf  I'm so sorry, it is really hard, and you have sudden loss you're dealing with, it takes quite some time for it to sink in, let alone begin to adjust to it.  We are so close to our pets, they're in our everyday lives, they're so loving, so beneficial to our lives, it's no wonder their loss is hard to get through.

Wishing you some comfort and peace.

• Members
BobIngersoll

We share what you are feeling.  I lost 2 year old Kato 2 weeks ago.  I was typing on this forum yesterday mentioning that I was finally able to get thru a day without breaking down and weeping...but as I was typing, I couldn't stop the tears once again.  It's beginning to feel like the only therapy will be time...a lot of time...but that's OK.  I'll always miss my Kato. So just go ahead and miss Sima, always.

• Members

I've going through all the postings but this one was something that I felt compelled to chip in, simply because it is quiet similar to the situation that I'm currently going through. I've just lost my cat Cecil about an hour ago. She suddenly felt sick a couple of days ago and although I took her to the vet and they injected her with something her conditions just continued to deteriorate fast. 

It was such a pain to watch her go through all the suffering due to her deteriorating conditions, and even more painful is the fact that there was nothing I could do but to rub her and continously tell her how much I love her. Then came the time when she could no longer move although she appeared trying. 

But just before she had her last breath she made one last effort to come to me at my bed. I could hear her breaths getting heavier and heavier and I was beginning to cry, knowing that it was about time for to go. And true enough at 3.02am she let out a last gasping sound and there she went, she left me forever. 

I cried like crazy, thinking of all the good times that we had together. I took her from the outside of the office building where I used to work at, taking the signs when she came to me at the very first sight and she was the first to greet me every morning when I came to work. People say we dont adopt a cat, they adopt us and I believe that was the case between me and her. She adopted me. 

I think the best thing about adpoting a cat is that she will always be the first one to greet us whenever we come home, at least that was my case with Cecil since I live in the house alone. Then that constant pleading for attention. I got mad at times but that is what I miss most now that she is gone. 

I still can't believe that she is no longer with me. Her lifeless body is still here by my side, and I'm waiting for the dawn so that I can properly bury her in the backyard of the house. The pain of losing her was so unbearable that I couldn't think of anything that could probably give me even the slightest of comfort. That was when the idea of looking for a forum that discusses the loss of a pet came to mind which brought me to this. 

I gotta say that reading all the posts from people who had lost their pets and had the same experience and felt the same way that I do right now - kinda give me some kind of comfort. Many people may don't understand but the pain of losing a pet is very painful and that is exactly what I'm going through right now. I'm just glad that I was there with Cecil to the very last breath. 

Until we meet again my love Cecil xoxo 

• Moderators

Jipp,

I'm so sorry about your Cecil.  You are right, cats seem to pick their owners and the relationship is very special.  I'm sorry you lost your little cat, I know how hard it is, very hard to adjust to.  You're right, your story is very similar to someone else's here.

• Members

Hi @Jipp I am sorry for your loss of Cecil. I am glad you found some comfort on this forum. I do as well. As you said, so good you were with her to the last breath. As horrible as my cat's last hour was it is my one comfort. No one can prepare you for this kind of pain. I hope you are doing okay. 

• Members

I have lost my cat I had a tough decision on Monday by letting her go. Cancer got worst found out late but it bites. Our cats make a huge impact on us we learn to love them. They have a short lifespan then us and it still hurts when you create a bond.  Rest in peace to your sima maybe my cat is keeping sima company while waiting for us in heaven

Archived