Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Snowball

ebt

• Members

Two days ago I took my 9 year old Pom to the vet. She had just been at the vet the week prior due to her not eating her dog food or treats. Over the weekend she got worse and stopped eating anything on Monday. I took her on Tuesday to ged blood work done. I’m a part time college student and live at home. Before telling me the results the vet called my mom to come over to be with me. Snowball was in Kidney failue. We could have taken her to a vet hospital and had her kidneys flushed but there was no guarantee that it would work and if it did work, it would only slow it down for an unknown period of time. I couldn’t let her be in anymore pain than she already had. I decided it was best that she cross the rainbow bridge. My mom and I were with her until the very end. We are getting her ashes in a few weeks but I’m so heartbroken. I have depression and anxiety, since her passing I’ve had major anxiety attacks. Today has been ok and I haven’t had one so far. I also lost my 15 year old cat of 12 years alittle over 2 years ago, as well as my last remaining grandfather not even a month later after my cat. We adopted a kitten 2 weeks after my cats passing. A beautiful white and brown tabby, we also have another cat that is 10 years old, he has some feral in him so he’s not as affectionate. We also have 2 older bigger dogs that are not in good health. One is 13 years and the other is 12 years, I wouldn’t be surprised if they passed this year as well. Because of my anxiety worsening I’ve had to take the full dosage of my prescribed medications. I feel horrible for already thinking about another dog but I can’t stand it. I know no dog will replace my Snowball, just like my kitten didn’t replace my cat. My boyfriend says it’s too soon and it will look bad but I’m so anxious without her here. My 2 bigger dogs are not allowed in the back of the house ( especially right now, our beagle/sheltie mix killed a baby skunk this past weekend and they both smell horrible but my mom has gotten a spray to help get rid of the smell on them, they hate baths.) I feel my anxiety will only worsen here on out, my boyfriend is moving 2 hours away end of this month to finish school, Im happy for him as we live in a small town with drugs. A horrible place in my opinion and I can’t wait to leave. But I feel another dog would help me greatly.  I feel horrible for thinking about it but I feel an ache in my heart without someone happy to see me come home. I’ve lost so much in the past 2 years but I’ve also gained. I want to do what’s best for me. I feel having a companion to have with me and take out with me, would help greatly but I fear people will assume that I didn’t care or love my dog because I have another one so soon. I still have to speak to my mom but  afraid no one will listen and understand. 

Rest well my fluffy Snowball, I only hope you know how much I love and miss you. 

C0072466-1039-4C96-9069-7AB085D40CDA.jpeg

• Members
Jack Russell

I am so sorry for your loss.  I am still greiving for my beautiful little dog Kelly who was taken from me due to  something happening with the dog minded and she had a dreadful ending. What I will say to you is, if you want another dog, then get one.  Of course it doesn't take your love away from Snowball it is evident you loved her.  There are so many unwanted, uncared for dogs out there, so perhaps get a rescue.  We have to do what we need to do to get over the grief.  It doesn't matter what other people think. The thing that is important is your care for your animals. Are the other animals your mums and Snowball was just yours exclusively? We all grieve in different ways and there is no one on this site who would make any judgement about you getting another dog.  As long as it's loved and well cared for then that is all that matters.  Bless you, dealing with anxiety as well must be pretty awful. Let us know how you get on.

• Members

Thank you so much for your words. The 10 year old cat is mine and one of the bigger dogs is mine too. My cat can be sweet and loving but has some feral in his blood and personality. He doesn’t cuddle and isn’t as affectionate as my moms 2 year old tabby. My big dog is 13 years old and is not in the best of health, I give him love and attention but I know it won’t be much longer for him. He doesn’t get around well and has some cysts on him. He was my first dog after not having a dog for many years. He’s my good loving boy. He sleeps majority of the time as it is too hot for him to be outside. Snowball was quite a shock, I had expected to lose the other two dogs before I lost her. The beagle sheltie mix is my moms, he has some cysts as well. I feel that they will most likely pass this year as well. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to take my cat with me when I eventually move out. My moms 2 year old tabby is attached to him and although he doesn’t show it often, I know he’d miss her as well. They are both indoor cats so I also couldn’t take him from the only home he’s ever known. I’m going to look around, I do want a smaller dog. The only animal I didn’t help pick out was my big dog. The others I gravitated toward and picked. From the moment I held snowball, I knew I had to have her, same with my cat. I know that’s how I will find my next dog. I will keep everything updated. I’m so sorry about your Kelly. I can tell you loved her very much.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, ebt said:

My boyfriend says it’s too soon and it will look bad

What??!!  Look bad to whom?!  I didn't know they had grief police out!  We all handle grief differently, and anything that helps one get through this should be embraced!

I am so sorry for your loss of Snowball...I had a dog that looked a lot like your snowball (1/2 American Eskimo, 1/2 Cocker Spaniel), he was named Fluffy.  He was the best family dog one could have.  I know the loss is great and no one will replace your dog, but when a person has a lot of love to give it helps to have someone to shower it on, plus like you said, the other ones are older so it's good to have another one in place before they're all gone.

https://www.wileypup.com/health-benefits-of-having-a-dog/

They're good for anxiety and depression!

• Members

Unfortunately, I don’t know. He and I are very different when it comes to grief and more so when it comes to animals. He doesn’t get attached easily for fear of something happening to them. I’m the exact opposite, I can get attached immediately. That’s how we got most of our animals lol. I’m sorry about your Fluffy KayC. It’s obvious you loved him very much. On better news, I’m actually going to adopt a 13 week old King Charles cavalier that lost her owner. The owner’s mother is having a hard time and is reminded of her son by the puppy, which causes her great pain. The lady is going to give me all of her things to bring with her as she won’t need them after the puppy is gone. She’s about 6 hours away so a friend and I are going to drive to get her then stop halfway and stay in a pet friendly hotel for the night and continue home the next day. When I found out of the owners passing I knew I had to have her. Thank you for the support and I will keep everyone updated. 

• Members

I think if you are ready - that is all that matters. So many animals need people who want them and want to take care of them. Some other people need more time to deal with grief. No other animal will replace Snowball because they are all different and wonderful in their own ways.

• Moderators

@ebt  I'm glad for you and the cavalier that you will be taking her in.  They're beautiful dogs, I hope you'll post a picture when you get her!  I hope it is a very special time for the two of you and I'm glad you have a friend going with you.

• Members

Thank you. Unfortunately, the cavalier puppy didn’t work out. I’m pretty sure it was a scam, as there were inconsistencies. I’ve been looking but it seems hard to find a small breed puppy in my area right now, especially in shelters. I’ve decided to wait a little bit so I can have a little more money to make sure I can fully take care of a puppy and also so I can have more options. I tend to gravitate towards animals and normally know that I have to have them. That’s how I ended up with Snowball and the other 4 of the 6 animals we’ve had. I appreciate the support and will update everyone.  

• Moderators

I'm sorry it didn't work out.  I hope just the right one emerges when the time is right!

Archived