Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My Angel was a Widow, My place in Heaven & Domestic Partnership

Sunshinerays

• Members
Sunshinerays

When I met Max, he had lost his wife of approximately 33 years from a long protracted illness with cancer. His wife's death was just 3 months previous to our meeting and our start of a loving relationship.  He had shared  with me that he was relieved because she had suffered for so long. Needless to say he was lonely (as was I), and he told me he wanted to start a new chapter in his life.   Max had raised 4 Daughters that were not his biological daughters. They had three different fathers. He loved them and was a father to them in every sense of the word.  We had only been together a year-and-a-half, and didn't even really think about either of us dying suddenly. As a hospice nurse, I was used to the process of death and Max, for the most part was a very strong and able-bodied person.  When he died, his daughters proceeded to remove me from his home. As a domestic partner, I had no real rights only tenant law rights. It left me very very little time to regroup and find a place. They were not kind to me, I would say I was almost a persona non grata at the funeral service.  The daughters could not see my grief for theirs in the loss of their mom. My question is, they say "now their Dad is back with their Mom".  So, where is my place? If there is a God and a heavenly eternity where will I be? I don't suppose anyone can truly answer this to my satisfaction, because first of all I would have to believe in God to get there.  Max loved his wife dearly. But, I also know he loved and adored me. I would be interested in any words of comfort though. And any insight, especially if anyone has personally experienced this themselves. I will say, it is so unfortunate that Domestic Partnerships are not recognized in most States. No matter how long one has been with their loved one, a family can come in and take everything if you didn't have the foresight enough to protect oneself. It was a painful learning lesson for me in that respect. I will never again cohabitate with a person without being married or having a legally binding contract of some sort.  The love and happiness that we brought to each other may not have been recognized by the family,  however I know what we had.  That can never be taken away. 

• Moderators

I am so sorry, for your loss, for being booted out of your home that way, for the lack of recognition of your relationship. There are differing beliefs about the hereafter, but in my Christian belief, the Bible says in the next life we are not married but continue to be male and female.  We'll know each other and the love we shared continues in perfect form, I think a lot of things will make more sense when we're there than we can wrap our minds around now.  Jealousy and possessiveness will not be part of the next world, in my estimation, they won't be necessary.  I know one thing, the love my George and I shared continues still, all that changed was his body gave out and he can no longer physically hold me and there is that veil between our worlds so it makes it harder communication-wise.  But I still talk to him.  I still miss him each and every day, I still love him...and it's been 13 years he's been gone.

22 hours ago, Sunshinerays said:

however I know what we had.  That can never be taken away. 

And you are right about that!  Hold onto that.

• Members
Sunshinerays

Thankyou for your comforting words. 

Archived