Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Rescue dog escaped fenced yard and onto highway

My little Cowboy

• Members
My little Cowboy

My little Chihuahua/miniature greyhound had been resced from a puppy mill then spent 2 months in a dog shelter. We had been together 4 months after l adopted him. His unconditional love and joy when he saw me gave me an overwhelming feeling of gratitude that he had chosen me. My little companion was an explorer constantly searching out new experiences. I wanted him to enjoy freedom in the backyard without the leash tangling him in the shrubs. Calling him when l didn’t see him l ran out the gate and noticed a commotion on the highway.  I saw his red harness and ran across the busy road. I don’t know if traffic stopped for me or if there wasn’t any. I called his name and said, mom’s here then felt for his heartbeat. It was present but getting weaker. Two helpful drivers had stopped and gave me a piece of carboard to use as a stretcher  Then my friend drove me to a Veterinarian office. I miss his joy of life, his bounding into my arms and our walks. 

• Members

Oh no how awful. Our pets love freedom but sadly there are so many dangers - I am really sorry this happened. At least you were in the final moments to comfort him. Of course you miss everything - it is really painful going through such a loss. 

• Members

I am so sorry :( I just recently lost my cat of three months because I wanted him to enjoy freedom as well. Such good intentions ended so terribly. 

• Moderators

I am so sorry, you're enduring what none of us should have to, the loss of your little dog.  I had a whippet, wonderful dogs, so good.  I am just so sorry.

Archived