Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My dog passed away

Forever

• Members

My dog passed away 3 weeks ago. It was very unexpected and I feel so guilty about it. I feel it was my fault and I could of done something to help him and maybe he would still be with me. He was my baby my everything. He  was my best friend, the love of my life, how can I continue to go on without him. I just recently got his ashes and it only reminds me that he’s really gone and there’s no way of getting him back. But all I want is to be with him to hold him, to see him again. I have no one to talk too, no one to understand my pain. My husband just gets upset at me and tells me that he doesn’t know what to say or how to help me. That I’m being selfish for wanting him to come back. I just want to cry and cry. I want my dog to come back. I would give up anything and everything to be able to be with my dog and see him again. He was my happiness. 

• Moderators

Oh hon, I am so sorry, I feel your pain and I know when I lose my dog I will be feeling the same way.  My dog is my life!  My husband passed away 13 years ago this week, so my dog, my cat, and I are a family, it's all I've got.

Your husband is just frustrated because he wants so bad to fix it and he can't.  There is no fixing grief, it takes it's own time, and it takes lots of it to process it, let alone begin to adjust to the changes it means for our life.  When you are ready, maybe you can post a picture of your dog?

Your feeling you could have done something for your dog is a common grief feeling, maybe you could, maybe you couldn't, but I know this, you love your dog and would have done anything you could.

I hope you will read these:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf

http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml

• Members

I know how you feel, I felt the same way. My cat was a big part of my life and daily joy. My husband was just as sad but he also felt helpless as KayC said to deal with it and was not as fixated as me. And he didn't want to dwell on the loss like I did. 

You are not selfish, you are in a profound state of grief. I hope maybe reading and more writing here with people who understand might help you. It did for me. And I continue to come - it's been 9 months.

By the way, I am much much better now although my heart feels like it will be a little broken, forever. But I have let go of the anger, guilt, and sadness I held onto. It just took time for me to process and it sounds like it may be the same for you. 

• Members
My Bradley Boy

I am with you. I lost my baby boy of 13 years three days ago. I have no kids, he was my son, my best friend, my happiness. I understand just how you feel. I'm waiting for time to go by to see if the pain subsides. I'm sorry I am not of much help. Just know you are not alone.

Archived