Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of Cat my fault

mbennett79

• Members

My cat passed away this morning, she was 20 years old. She hadn't been pooping for the last few days and I saw her appetite diminish over the last couple, with drinking less water. I found her sleeping on my bed when I came home from work a couple of days ago. Not ordinary for her. Yesterday, I decided I should take her to the vet because I'm thinking she's constipated. I was going to take her this morning, the vet opened at 8am. She was laying underneath my bed and I popped down to say hello and she stated meowing at me, also not ordinary. As I was getting ready to take her in I heard meowing and clawing, I could see her legs and body tense up. Then she was still. I took her straight to the vet where I was informed she had passed away. All I can think about is "What if I had taken her in a day sooner?" "What if she died in pain because of my negligence?" I just cant seem to break the mental cycle.

• Members

It is not your fault.  it was her time.  If you read how my cat passed, you will see that I felt guilt as well.  In time, you will remember all the good that you did for her and all the love.  The end is always a loss and you can't prepare yourself for loss (or at least I could not).  Before my cat died, she was under the bed.  I hope that, in time, the pain lessens and goes away.

• Members

I am so sorry to read this and for your loss. She was pretty old for a kitty... lucky you to have her as long as you did. Also, cats hide sickness for a long time until - often it is just too late and nothing much to be done. Not your fault at all. I know you might continue to beat yourself up, I hope you work on focusing on the wonderful years you gave her. And at least she was with you until her last day. 

• Moderators

Your cat lived to be 20, that is really old for a cat, it's not your fault.  Guilt is part of grief, we can't control everything that happens.  I am so sorry for the loss of your cat, I know it's hard, I'm still mourning mine two years later although we do get more used to it little by little, still we love and miss them.

I hope you'll read these articles:
http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf

http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml

It seems we feel guilty for euthanasia, and we feel guilty if we didn't euthanize, honestly, it's grief talking.

Archived