Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How do I grieve and get over losing my big sister

Tre

• Members

I lost my big sister on the 18th of April 2018.. she was 42 and her heart stopped in her sleep.. her husband and 14 year old son tried to bring her round and her heart was beating when the paramedics turned up.. she was on life support for 5 days but her brain was so severely damaged that they couldn’t bring her back! I am so lost.. She leaves her husband and 3 kids.. I feel so lost without her! We lost both our parents.. mum in 2005 and Dad in 2008.. :( xxx

• Members

Dear Tre,

My deepest sympathies and condolences. I'm so sorry for your loss. It is unimaginable that such a young woman be taken away from her family.

Please know we are with you and thinking of you.

• Members
Nicole-my grief journey

Oh Tre, My heart goes out to you. To lose your parents and your sibling...is all encompassing. I know in losing mine, I have felt alone, off balance and feeling a large part of my identity gone. Such a large part of me feels like it’s missing and it’s hard to rebalance and it’s taking time to feel re-anchored. I tell myself now that I am my own anchor and that they are with me in my heart and that I am safe and will be ok. I don’t know if that resonates with you or will help at all, but I pray that you will be comforted by those around you. Grief is so individual and no one can truly understand what you must feel, but receiving love and hugs is good medicine. I also read a book by T. J Wray called “Surving The Death Of A Sibling” each time I lost both of my siblings and it helped me connect with my emotions and made me feel less alone. It made me know I was on track and others knew exactly how I felt.

My heart also goes out to her husband and son. The trauma they must feel from that night and the loss is so fresh. I hope that they will be able to receive counseling for processing this heartbreaking tragedy and trauma from that day. I also hope that maybe you can try a resource like that too. I have and it has taught me some coping skills that I practice daily. You shouldn’t have to navigate this grief alone. Love and prayers to you.

• Members

I am so sorry. I lost my brother who was 51 on may 9. he also was in a coma. he choked on food ; his heart stopped, couldn't oxygenate his brain, and he also was on life support for a week. Seeing my closest person on life support for a week and having to remove it and see him die was so painful. That experience was very difficult. I am so sorry for your loss. You are not alone.

Archived