Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Degu

uros

• Members

My Adolf died today. He was one year old Degu and I loved him more than anything. I had him ever since he was a little cub and grew to love him as my brother and looked at him as my roommate. 3 days ago I noticed that Adolf was acting strangely, sleeping all day, but when I noticed that he's not drinking or eating, I knew something was wrong. I took him to the vet's and after examination he gave me medicine that I mixed with water. He was to weak to drink or eat and could barely move. I tried to help him drink and failed. On the 3rd day (today) he went comatose, I rushed him to the vet's where the Doctor gave him all the help he could. Sadly Adolf succumbed to his illness an hour later in my arms. I'm devasted and without a will to work or study, I don't even know where to bury him and if I can cope with parting from his remains. I need help.

• Moderators

I am so sorry for your loss.  (For those who don't know, a Degu is a rodent.)  I'm so sorry your vet couldn't do anything to save him.  Do you know anyone with any property you could ask?  They are so small, it's too bad you couldn't bury him at a park where you could visit him.  I know how hard it is to lose our pets, my heart goes out to you.

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss. :( What a fast awful shock to lose him so quickly. My heart goes out to you I know what that is like, it is very painful. Wishing you peace. 

• Moderators

Uros,

I am so sorry for your loss.  It is amazing how deeply pets can affect our lives.  The joy you had with him and the care and love you gave him is beautiful.

I may be too late on this front, but for dealing with the remains, most vets have contacts to cremation services.  Cremation services will usually do single cremations even for small animals.  Some can only do mass cremations under a certain weight though.

I have talked with people who lost small pets, and either had to do a mass cremation due to the capabilities of the facilities available, or had to do them because of finincial reasons.  Mass cremations are usually much more economical.  I usually pointed out that their friend now had companions to keep him/her company forever, sometimes that helped them a bit.  With mass cremations you can get back ashes to put in an urn, which you can keep.  I have three urns for my last three pets, although one is empty as I spread those ashes.  Hoping you find some comfort here,

Herc

Archived