Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Signs from loved ones

Allyson

• Members

My fiance died suddenly almost 2 months ago. He was my best friend and I miss him like crazy. I am a semi-religious person, but am a little lost when it comes to what I think about the afterlife. I feel like I haven't heard from him or gotten a sign or really felt his presence. I would love to hear other stories of people getting signs from their loved ones. What the sign was, how they know it was from their person, and how long after they lost them did it happen. Please share!

• Members

I’m sorry for the loss of your fiancé. Those first few months are certainly brutal. 

I actually felt my boyfriend die. We were apart and I was asleep. I had a dream and actually felt his body being ripped away from me. I woke up and I couldn’t breathe. I couldn’t begin to fully describe this scenario that occurred. After the dream, I hadn’t heard from him for two days..thinking he was mad at me or something.  Finally went to his apartment where I found him, and the coroner said he had passed two days prior. 

I have gotten many signs since his death. It’s usually songs that were meaningful to us that come on shuffle like four in a row. Or animals/insects, like an owl just sitting in my yard or a dragonfly just sitting on my deck next to me for 15 minutes. It’s usually when I need them the most. I like to keep these signs personal between me and him if that makes sense. 

• Members
Sunflower2

They do send signals. Keep your heart, eyes and ears open to receive. 

• Members
Jeff In Denver

Some say that signs need a "bridge."  Example:  Their favorite song comes on the radio as you're driving down the road at a time when you'd normally both be driving to a particular place.  Probably not a sign.

But let's say their birthday is 1/14.  You're driving down the road on that date, and at exactly 1:14 in the afternoon you hear the song.  Stuff like that.

• Members
floyd11554

I am so sorry for your loss.    Let me just start off by saying that I do not believe in god or an afterlife and am the last person you would think would type what I am about to type but I do have to acknowledge things when they happen. 

Back in September, me and my girlfriend had decided after many years of wrangling with the issue to join a gym together and even a get a personal trainer. It was a wonderful decision that bonded us even more as we pushed ourselves and it became a friendly loving competition.  It was something that we thought we would never do together or especially get me on board with it and go with her.  It was the last thing we ever did together 4 days before I found her in her apartment.  Even though I have kept the membership open I have not been back to the gym since I went and cancelled the personal training agreement.  I just haven't been able to bring myself to walk past everything we had been working towards and doing together as one.

On that note, so a few weeks ago I was told I had to move and only had till July 1st to do so (my landlords are moving themselves and leaving the house).  This wasn't malicious but it still sucked the same considering the year so far and it felt like what else is going to happen and I lost it when I found out.  After freaking out obviously about now where I am going to live and if any of you are familiar with Long Island, it is brutally expensive, I decided to post an ad myself on craigslist.  A lovely couple responded and said they had a place in there house and I should come take a look.  When they gave me the address and I googled it was 2 blocks (literally walking distance in 2 or 3 minutes) to the same Blink Fitness me and my girlfriend had been going to.  When I stand on the corner I can see the sign, that is how close it is.  Just as a reference, I currently live a good half hour from it now.  

I go back tomorrow to give them the security deposit and am moving in at the end of June.  When leaving this past Saturday after looking at the place and knowing this is where I was going to be I broke down in my car as I was driving back like she was guiding this and basically saying, now you have no excuse so get your ass back in the gym dammit and live your life. So not only do I have the stress of where I am going to live off my shoulders but I feel that somehow whether its just her soul she has aided and guided me just like she had for the wonderful eight years we shared together.

This doesn't necessarily change my views but damn I could not just gloss over this like it was nothing but a strange coincidence.  Sorry, I know this was a little long but I wanted to share.  

• Members
Lisaislost

I’ve had signs too! There were days i was crying and really down and all of a sudden I’d get a text from a friend saying “ thinking of you”. When my husband’s brother was staying with me after he died, there was a hawk that landed on the fence by my window. We all watched him for about 30 minutes. I’ve never seen that hawk before. The most recent was the night before his birthday. I prayed to have a visit. I wanted to know he was ok. I fell asleep and had a beautiful dream.in my dream,  I rolled over and kissed him goodnight, told him i loved him and he said it back. Then i woke up. It was after midnight on his birthday. 

Signs will come!

• Moderators

Allyson,

Please try not to worry about if or when you'll get a sign, it doesn't have to do with how much you love each other.  I did not have a dream with my husband in it for a year or two after he died and I couldn't understand it.  We were joined together as one, soul mates, thought of each other all the time, we were so close, how could I not have him in my dreams!  I don't know but we can't always control everything and it is hard to understand some things.  BUT there were some signs along the way.  When my husband died there was a huge thunder and lightening storm, deafening, and a TRIPLE RAINBOW!  I mean, he must have made some kind of entrance into heaven!  He would have gotten a chuckle out of that.  But I was driving down my mountain a month or so after he died, and wishing for a "sign" he was still with me...and all of a sudden I spotted a rainbow!  Coincidence?  I don't think so.  A sign is something that consoles us that we can't explain or control.  Something that would have been special to the two of us.  Another time I went to open the door on my house and there perched on the knob was a dragonfly.  One of the most miraculous signs was one year after he died.  In our early courtship, the pansy came to mean a lot to us, he called it the smiling flower, and we had a bumper crop the year he died.  I live in the mountains with lots of snow in the winter, our flowers NEVER survive the winters.  One year after he died, a lone pansy peeped up from the earth below our patio, and I know there's no way it could have made it through the winter without his help.  I've never seen it happen before or since.  Fast forward a few years...the social security office told me right before they closed for a long weekend that I'd only get $200/month.  WHAT?!!  My anxiety nearly burst through the roof!  I couldn't survive on that, no one could!  I asked her to doublecheck, she coldly told me to call my local office.  I tried, they were gone for the weekend already.  That night I felt George's hand on my back, I kid you not, I know the feel of his hand, and it was as if to console me, to let me know it was all going to be okay.  The following week when I called the social security office they told me I'd get $1100/month and didn't know why someone would tell me anything different.  Signs...they can mean so much to us.  But don't worry when you aren't seeing them, they are still there.  They do have to go through a lot of effort to give us one, they aren't physical beings at the moment so to be able to do something physical require a LOT of energy!  It will come likely when you least expect and need it the most.  The thing to remember is to continue your love based on FAITH, just as it always has been, he still loves you.

• Members

I cannot tell you guys how much I have loved reading these and how much they mean to me. How special that must have been to feel the presence of your loved one, when you need it most. It's so hard to believe that they are watching over you and there with you, especially when you feel so alone. Those signs just reinforce what we all should know, that they really are here with us. I miss him so much, I cant wait to get a sign of my own. I just hope I know it's real, since I tend to be skeptical about most things and dont want to believe just everything is a sign. 

• Moderators

Love itself is something that requires our faith to believe in, trust in.  You've already extended that when you loved, so it's not much of a leap to believing in a sign when it comes.  I've learned to walk in faith...faith in our love as it continues, just as I did when it began.

• Members
On 5/15/2018 at 11:00 AM, Allyson said:

My fiance died suddenly almost 2 months ago. He was my best friend and I miss him like crazy. I am a semi-religious person, but am a little lost when it comes to what I think about the afterlife. I feel like I haven't heard from him or gotten a sign or really felt his presence. I would love to hear other stories of people getting signs from their loved ones. What the sign was, how they know it was from their person, and how long after they lost them did it happen. Please share!

Allyson.... I have had many signs which starting just a week after my wife had passed.   If you want signs, you will have to be open minded and believe that anything is possible.   Sometimes, things will happen one after another.  Sometimes, things will be quiet for weeks or months.   At other times, something very significant and touching can just appear out of the blue.  It is OK to be religious --- as people of all religion can experience after-death communications.  You just have to let go of what you have been taught and be open to anything.  As long as you can release the mental confines of what life is, then things will start flowing your way.   There is a saying.... that we need to be "conscious of the unconsciousness."  Thats your key to making the connection.

• Members
Sunflower2
8 hours ago, Azipod said:

There is a saying.... that we need to be "conscious of the unconsciousness."  Thats your key to making the connection.

love this!  have an open heart, mind and ear.  You are so exquisite in your shares!  I still have those candles going!  so  powerful in sustaining his energy.  

8 hours ago, Azipod said:

Sometimes, things will happen one after another.  Sometimes, things will be quiet for weeks or months.   At other times, something very significant and touching can just appear out of the blue

exactly!  and of course we want that connection to be continuous but it just is as you stated.

Archived