Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

socs

maria minni

• Members
maria minni

Hi new to this site.. Socs was 16 months old and an indoor cat, she lived with me and my son Monday to Friday and me and my partner Friday eve to Sunday eve.. On May the 7th 2018 she crawled out  of a window which was slightly open at my partners home... We searched for two days both taking time off work. Then on Thursday 10th may i received a call from a vet who had found me via her microchip, she had been hit by a car and killed instantly and was brought straight to nearby vet. By the time i got there she was still warm and i held her for as long as i could... She was only 16 months oldl and i am completely broken. If i hadn't brought her with me to my partner that weekend if i had checked kitchen window etc... She followed me everywhere even to bathroom breaks and i feel so lost without her... My baby girl

Maria

• Members
jacquelina

sorry to hear of your loss, one thing I do know is you have to get rid of  'if onlys' its only natural that we think if only we did things differently........ but you have to rid yourself of any guilt it will weigh you down, you do need time to process what has happened and grieve for you lovely cat, I am new to this site too and know that there are far more experienced people here who can guide you and help you but  I found talking helps me but we all grieve differently am told. take care Maria

• Members

Hi, first I am so sorry for your loss. 

I lost my cat that we took to a vacation house we rented over the summer. We believe he ingested something that made him terribly sick and we had to put him to sleep at the emergency vet. I understand wishing things were different. And I know how much pain you are in too. It is heartbreaking.

I wish I could say something to make you feel better. Jacquelina is right, you need to process your grief. It just takes time to deal with the loss especially when it is so sudden like this was. Forgive yourself as blame will change nothing and only cause you more pain than you have already. We all understand what you are going through.    

• Moderators

I am so sorry for the loss of your Socs.  It's very common to feel the what ifs, guilt, in grief, it's part of the grief, a way of looking for another outcome, we're shaken with disbelief.  In time it sinks in that there is no other outcome, this is our reality, and we begin the journey of adjusting to the changes it means to our lives.  I'm so glad it was instant and she didn't suffer.  They do like to explore!  It seems no matter how much we guard them and are so careful, they will find a way.

It is extremely painful in the beginning, and then eventually, pangs, twinges of pain, it doesn't mean we love them any less, it's just our body's natural way of adjusting, quite amazing actually.  The grief doesn't have an ending, per sae, but it evolves throughout our grief journey.  Eventually you'll be able to think of her with good memories and without so much pain.

Archived