Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

2years today 5/5/16 I lost my dad to his brave fight with cancer

Tracy Lee

• Members
Tracy Lee

My dad was my hero, so brave!! I’m still kinda not accepting this has happened, how could it I usually keep asking, a year before his cancer he had a major heart op! Even quit smoking for that An did so well I was always proud of him!! He did anything for us!! Hated me walk-in in the dark home so always made me have a lift in his car, I moved back home wit him an my mum to nurse him as I had more of nursing training, but he already lost his daughter to drugs he has onestly been through alo!!! An that brutal vicious cancer had to get my dad!! I seen him go down worse every day an I jus miss him so bad I don’t even no how to let go that he’s passed I jus need him it’s never the same without him!! My dad an sister are resting together now xx

FAB98995-4DD5-4E64-A881-9DACFE58E9F6.jpeg

• Members
Lourdes Linton

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I too lost my father to cancer. He passed away January 17, 2008 and it still hurts like hell. He didn't even get to meet his grand daughter that was born 6 months later. He knew he was going to be a grand dad again and was very excited. So we named her after him. I can't lie it says it gets easier, I don't think it ever gets easier, you just learn to live with it. A way to go on however is to honor his memory, find a way to keep him alive. On his birthday you might want to bake a cake. Or, you might want to share funny memories with other family members. Or, watch some of his favorite movies, even eat his favorite cookies. Also, you could follow his traditions. Like every year my dad would take me and my brothers on vacation to Cocoa Beach and we would stay at a timeshare we had there. Oh man, we would go surfing, and go to the nearby 50's diner for burgers, and shakes. Good times!! So now, I make sure each year I take my kids on vacation every year and try to do things my dad did with us. So you see, instead of letting your heart hurt & ache, try to do your best to make it happy by keeping him alive. I also find praying and reading my bible has helped me see brighter days. Knowing that I still have a heavenly father who is always here helps. My biological father may be gone but I have a heavenly father who is here. I hope this helped a little.

God Bless!

• Members

Dear Tracy Lee,

Thinking of you. I know its hard. Its been 18 months for me and I still wish my dad was here too. It feels so surreal.

There is no fixed timeline for grief so be kind and gentle with yourself. If you feel like you need more supports don't hesitate to consider grief counselling or joining a support group. I also found these websites helpful.

What's Your Grief

Grief in Common

Grief Healing Blog

Take care of yourself the best you can. Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

Archived