Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my two pet mice

Anonymous203

• Members
Anonymous203

I know a lot of people don't like mice, but I love them and think they are great little furry friends to have. I have a few groups of them, they all have names and different personalities and they are all very special to me. Today I had to have two of them euthanized at the vet because they had very large tumors that were affecting their quality of life. I don't feel like I made the right decision though. This is the first time I've ever made the decision to put a pet down and it's awful. I feel like I should have let them pass on their own and feel guilty for making them go. The vet didn't want me to be in the room with them and honestly I thought I didn't want to be either, but now I'm wondering if their death was peaceful or not and feeling bad for them. I held it all in at the vet, but as soon as I got home I cried. I try to distract myself with playing video games or watching TV, but it doesn't last very long and I can't stop thinking about them. I've had a few mice that have passed naturally on their own, and while it was hard for me, it doesn't compare to this. I had no idea having to make the decision when to let them go would be so hard and I don't know what to do.

• Moderators

Sometimes euthanasia can be the kindest thing we can do for our pet if they are suffering.  We make that selfless decision in their best interest and not at all because of what we want because truth be told, we never want to lose our pets.  So we lay aside our feelings to do the kindest thing for them.  Then the second guessing ourselves starts and we wonder if we did everything we could have, if there was another way, a better way, etc and allow guilt to come knocking.  This is all part of grief.  Please reassure yourself, these feelings are normal and are indeed part of our grief.

https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2014/04/pet-loss-guilt-in-wake-of-euthanasia.html

I'm sorry for your loss and all you are going through.

• Members

Hi anonymous 

I could have written a lot of your post myself only it would have been about a cat. But I think mice are adorable little creatures too. You are right, making the decision yourself brings on so many unforseen and unexpected feelings. Deciding to end a life is really tough stuff, especially when it is such a precious friend. And then having a vet not want you in the room - happened to me as well - brings even more unknown variables. Haunting thoughts about if they felt it, or knew, or suffered at all. Was it peaceful like they said it would be? Yep I feel you. All I can say is I am sorry and it will slowly ease with time. It can kinda suck till then and you will probably always miss them and wish you did it different but we know we can't have do overs. The one thing I tried to remind myself is that she didn't have an agonizing ending and even though I would make much different decisions if given the chance, I know she will never suffer another day. Hugs

• Moderators
15 hours ago, MyMocha said:

The one thing I tried to remind myself is that she didn't have an agonizing ending...I know she will never suffer another day.

True, and good to console ourselves with!

• Members
Anonymous203

Thank you both. I've taken a couple days to think about it and it does help to know that they will never suffer another day. You're right, I can't go back in time and change things, but at least they won't have to be suffering here on earth anymore. I believe that there is a heaven for animals too, so I think they are playing there now and suffering no more. 

I suppose whatever kind of ending they had, at least they didn't have to have their suffering prolonged and it was quick. 

I've been spoiling their sisters they left behind and giving them lots of treats and love. It makes me feel better to bring them happiness. 

• Moderators

Heaven would not be heaven without our beloved animals.  I'd post the Rainbow Bridge for you but there's no pictures of mice there :mad: just dogs, cats, and horses, but there's going to be all kinds of animals, bunnies, your mice, guinea pigs, birds, etc and they'll all get along.  (((hugs)))

Archived