Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My dog was aggressive but I still loved him

ldr3423

• Members

ok, I’m new here and I hope this is in the right place. Long story short. My boy was an 8 year old bully breed who had always had a tendency to turn for no reason at all. It was sporadic and not often, but when he did turn it was scary and dangerous. We always gave him the benefit of the doubt but we did say if he was to ever cross that line he would have to go. 

He crossed the line and he attacked my sister. It was unlike anything I’ve ever seen from him. We have many small children in the family, in the house often. The vet agreed the best thing for everyone was to have him put to sleep. 

I am in pieces. As bad as he could be, he was my baby and I loved him. I don’t know what I’m feeling. Am I allowed to even mourn him given the circumstances he went under? I know we made the right choice, but I still can’t stop feeling like I let him down, took the easy way out, betrayed his trust. I’m so conflicted. I’m scared people will think I gave up on him. How do I stop feeling like this. 

• Members

Of course you have a right to mourn the loss of a companion of 8 years. I don't know what measures were taken over the years to try and adjust his behavior but unfortunately sometimes there just isn't much to be done if an animal develops that type of trait for whatever reason. Having to make that decision for a furry friend is incredibly hard no matter the circumstances but it is a very quick and painless passing. You didn' let him down and he didn' have any ill feelings toward you. Greif is an unfortunate part of the process but it will ease up over time. Cry as much as you need to. Maybe do a candle lighting ceremony, even if it just involves you, and give your friend a special moment to celebrate the good things he did. Hugs

• Members
11 hours ago, MyMocha said:

Of course you have a right to mourn the loss of a companion of 8 years. I don't know what measures were taken over the years to try and adjust his behavior but unfortunately sometimes there just isn't much to be done if an animal develops that type of trait for whatever reason. Having to make that decision for a furry friend is incredibly hard no matter the circumstances but it is a very quick and painless passing. You didn' let him down and he didn' have any ill feelings toward you. Greif is an unfortunate part of the process but it will ease up over time. Cry as much as you need to. Maybe do a candle lighting ceremony, even if it just involves you, and give your friend a special moment to celebrate the good things he did. Hugs

Thank you, means a lot. There’s just so much out there for people dealing with a pets natural passing. This kind of situation seems a little taboo or something. I don’t know. I’m so scared I’ll wake up one day and be like what the hell have I done. It feels like I’m in a cloud.

• Moderators

Oh Hon, I am so sorry.  It is the hardest thing in the world.  You have to choose on the sign of safety.  You did not let him down, he had something wrong in him that you couldn't fix.  I don't know what makes some so aggressive, when they've had good lives, perhaps the breed, perhaps something genetic, who knows.  You gave him the best life you could and he got eight years.  You could not let him hurt someone, and if you rehomed him, they would have had to make the same decision you found yourself grappling with...perhaps after hurting, maiming, or even killing a child.  No, you could not let that happen.  My BIL had to make the same decision after his dog attacked him, bit his lip off almost completely, no provocation.  It's a hard situation and no one feels the winner.  I send you a lot of hugs, and pray for comfort and peace for you, you did the right thing.

• Members

I am so sorry what a painful thing to have to deal with. What an awful shame for your pup but really you could not take any chances anymore.

So sorry for what you are going through, of course you should mourn him. Wishing you peace. I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better, no matter how our pets pass, it takes patience and time to heal. 

Archived