Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

lost my cat and best friend

sar59

• Members

I lost my cat of 17 years and the grief is killing me I can't sleep keep thinking how alone I feel .I keep thinking of my own mortality .I just feel so scared and alone I don't know what to do .I don't have anyone to talk to.

• Members

So sorry you have lost your kitty sweetie.  It is such a heartbreaking experience. We all know exactly how you are feeling.  17 years is such a long time to spend together.  It is normal to be very sad when they leave us and it will get better with time...as you learn to adjust to their absence.  It is different for everyone it seems.  I lost my kitty on 1-9 and i still cry everyday for her...but only a little cry these days.  I certainly still miss her.  There are lots of good people here to help you through this difficult time.  It is what has gotten me through.  Big hugs sent your way.

• Moderators

sar59,

I am so sorry you lost your cat, I had one that was 19 years once, I lost him 11 1/2 years ago, still miss him.  We adjust to the changes it means to our lives in time, but it's hard to get used to, especially as we were together day in, day out, and all of the little interactions we were used to, the way they were, it hits us afresh with the changes when they're gone.

You have us to talk to.  Do you want to tell us a little about your cat, maybe a picture?

• Members

I know how you feel, I felt very scared and anxious after losing my cat very suddenly. You realize how fragile everything really is, I guess. 

I am so sorry you feel alone. You came to the right place - we have all had a crushing loss of a pet, like you.

I wish there was some magic thing I could say to make you feel better. All I can say is, I understand and try to be patient. It takes time to heal from such a loss. It is so painful.

Maybe in the future you could rescue a new kitty so that you are not alone. I waited a few months and had to as I can't live without a kitty in my home. She could never replace my sweet cat that we lost, but I love her now too. 

• Members

Hi hunny, I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m feeling for you at this point as I too lost my cat and best friend of almost 15 years almost a month ago. The hole they leave is quite big, but remembering the good time you had together really helps.  Animals really do become part of the family and they are one of the best things to have around.

If you need anyone at all to talk to, I am here for you. 

Archived