Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Struggling after the death of my dear cat

Eve melboy

• Members

My dear sweet loving gentle calm loyal ginger cat max had to be put to sleep today and i cant stop crying. I am devastated and heartbroken. It hurts me so bad that I won't see him again. He was 10 years old and started having breathing problems last Thursday so i rushed him to the vets. He had 250ml of fluid drained from his little lungs and I was able to bring him home with medication until his heart scan today. I took him for his scan today to be told he had a massive tumour on his heart and his lungs had filled with fluid again. I had to let him go. I loved him so much and he was so very loving. Not one scratch or bite in 10 years. He always came when I called him and he greeted me each time i came home. I cant imagine life without him. I hated taking him to the vets knowing I may not bring him home when he loved home so much.  Life won't be the same....please help me feel less pain ...love you so much max rip loyal friend xxx 

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss. These things can pop up so suddenly too.

I know it is terrible when they are gone but you did the right thing so he is not going to suffer.

I too lost my cat very suddenly over five months ago. I am doing much better now. I have just the good memories and have been finally able to leave the heartache behind even though I still miss him.

But at first I could barely function, I was so upset. I wish there was something I could say that would make you feel better. I promise the horrible pain you have will not last. But there is no easy around, only through it. Your mind has to process what happened. So you might think about it over and over. Your heart might ache. (Mine did.) You might feel like a zombie for a bit... we all grieve in different ways, but know that we here all understand what you are going through.

• Members

Thank you AJWcat for your kind words..i value your reply and I'm in so much pain with heartache but I listen to your words of hope that time will heal...

• Members

I know! We know they won't live forever, we know they will pass but when it actually happens you are not really prepared for what it feels like. As I said, you will heal. But your love and bond was such that it takes time.

• Members

I am very sorry for your sudden loss today. Your poor kitty. Please know he was so lucky to have you to help him through without prolonged suffering. I feel if his symptoms had been left to a natural fate it would have been awful for him. It is such a painful decision to make no matter the circumstances. I think @AJWCat summed up the emotional elements very well. She lost hers suddenly and made some very truthful statements. Hugs sent your way. Being here has helped me with my loss...though I still cry for my mocha everyday. It is truly hard to lose our precious furry friends.

• Moderators

Eve Melboy,

I am so sorry for the loss of your cat.  We are so attached to them, it's like having part of our heart ripped out when we lose them, they are our daily companions, our family.  Grief evolves, thank God, or we couldn't handle it, it doesn't stay in the same intensity of pain that is ours in the beginning of the journey.  It takes time to adjust to life without them, all of the habits/rituals that were ours when they were here, the absence of them rips our heart out.  Like having them remind us to feed them.  Or snuggling with them.  Or their asking us to go outside.  Not having that now is a huge reminder of their being gone and can really hit us, but in time we get more used to how things are now so it doesn't hit us with such a jolt every day.  That is good because it'd be terribly hard to live the rest of our lives with those intense feelings.  In time, thoughts of your cat will bring you a smile, but right now all you feel is pain. 

With each animal I've adopted and loved, there has been something special about that dog or that cat that I have remembered them by, whether it was how well they behaved, the way they smiled, how cuddly they were, playfulness, willing partner for walks, etc.  Not each one has all of those traits, they're all different.  King George was my greeter.  Autumn was a good mouser. Lucky behaved perfectly and had such an adorable grin!  Fluffy was wherever we were, swimming, picking berries, what have you, a great family dog.  Teddy was so good with kids, so gentle.  Skye was guileless, the sweetest dog ever.  Taffy was gorgeous.  Kitty is the boss.  Arlie my companion and goofball, always bringing a smile.  You will come to think of Max in a fond way remembering those traits about him that made him special.

• Members
19 hours ago, MyMocha said:

I am very sorry for your sudden loss today. Your poor kitty. Please know he was so lucky to have you to help him through without prolonged suffering. I feel if his symptoms had been left to a natural fate it would have been awful for him. It is such a painful decision to make no matter the circumstances. I think @AJWCat summed up the emotional elements very well. She lost hers suddenly and made some very truthful statements. Hugs sent your way. Being here has helped me with my loss...though I still cry for my mocha everyday. It is truly hard to lose our precious furry friends.

Thank you for your kind words...really helps

• Members
4 hours ago, KayC said:

Eve Melboy,

I am so sorry for the loss of your cat.  We are so attached to them, it's like having part of our heart ripped out when we lose them, they are our daily companions, our family.  Grief evolves, thank God, or we couldn't handle it, it doesn't stay in the same intensity of pain that is ours in the beginning of the journey.  It takes time to adjust to life without them, all of the habits/rituals that were ours when they were here, the absence of them rips our heart out.  Like having them remind us to feed them.  Or snuggling with them.  Or their asking us to go outside.  Not having that now is a huge reminder of their being gone and can really hit us, but in time we get more used to how things are now so it doesn't hit us with such a jolt every day.  That is good because it'd be terribly hard to live the rest of our lives with those intense feelings.  In time, thoughts of your cat will bring you a smile, but right now all you feel is pain. 

With each animal I've adopted and loved, there has been something special about that dog or that cat that I have remembered them by, whether it was how well they behaved, the way they smiled, how cuddly they were, playfulness, willing partner for walks, etc.  Not each one has all of those traits, they're all different.  King George was my greeter.  Autumn was a good mouser. Lucky behaved perfectly and had such an adorable grin!  Fluffy was wherever we were, swimming, picking berries, what have you, a great family dog.  Teddy was so good with kids, so gentle.  Skye was guileless, the sweetest dog ever.  Taffy was gorgeous.  Kitty is the boss.  Arlie my companion and goofball, always bringing a smile.  You will come to think of Max in a fond way remembering those traits about him that made him special.

Cherishing your kind words through my tears x 

Archived