Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My dog killed by an aggressive dog

Isaac’s Mom

• Members
Isaac’s Mom

On December 5 last year on our morning walk, my 11lb Miniature Poodle Isaac was mauled and shaken so hard that his neck was broken by a loose French mastiff. This was an unprovoked attack. This is a neighborhood of patio homes with tiny back yards. The mastiff lives across the street and is never let out to exercise, only put out in the yard to pee and poop. The husband was out of the state for work. The wife let the dog out to do his business and left for work. The niece was supposed to let it back in but didn’t and it got out, came across the street and attacked us. The police caught the mastiff down the street trying to attack two other dogs. They are charged with aggressive dog and unrestrained dog. The city prosecutor says they can’t order the dog destroyed because this was it’s first act of aggression. Hopefully the judge will see differently at the arraignment. It will get out again. Our HOA will not act. Isaac was my emotional support dog for my Bipolar Disorder-he saved me after my divorce and an abusive husband. The attack was the most violent experience of my life. I already had PTSD and now it’s worse. I feel guilty that I didn’t pick Isaac up when I saw the dog. I just didn’t think of it. I’m going to try to get the city ordinance changed regarding aggressive dogs. I have to do something. Isaac was only 4 years old.

3080508C-6547-40F0-8A77-EED466C724D5.jpeg

• Members

Dear Isaac's Mom,

I am so sorry to hear what happened. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a sweet and loving dog he is. The picture of him is just precious.

I hope you are able to change the bylaws.

Thinking of you.

• Members

How awful! I am so sorry for you loss. You not the first person that I have read here who has had something like this happen. Did you ever speak to the owners? First offense is one thing but that seems really vicious. And, this could happen again too. Tragedy all the way around. :( I understand your position and hope that it works out.   

• Guests

That's just heartbreaking, my heart goes out to you.  About 5 years ago my leonberger, who is the gentlest of giants got attacked and luckily because of her size the dogs were not able to flip her or rag her around.  The attack lasted about 10 minutes and resulted in her needing stitches.  She recovered but I was truly traumatised by it so I can oly imagine the horror of what happened to you, I felt so helpless and shocked by the whole thing.  5 years on and my Ava now has terminal cancer, so I have been looking at dogs for when she goes because I know it's the only way to deal with her loss and the attack had such a big impact that it is influencing my decisons about what dogs I look at which goes to show how traumatising it is.  I hope you can get something done about it, because although i feel for the dog that attacked and killed your precious baby because at the end of the day it's the fault of the owners for the way they treat him but also for letting him get out, but once a dog has attacked another dog I think it changes them and they will do it again sadly. 

• Moderators

I thought I already replied but it's not here, fortunately I still have my reply on my word pad...

I am so so sorry.  Irresponsible pet owners can cause a lot of problems.  Your poor little dog!  My heart goes out to you.  It can be hard to erase horrific memories.  If it continues to haunt you, you may want to see a therapist about it.  These techniques have been used to help with that, but you may want to try them with the guidance of a qualified therapist.  I'm just so sorry.

http://blog.healthjourneys.com/update-from-belleruth/emotional-freedom-technique-eft-may-look-weird-but-if-it-gets-the-job-done-do-we-care.html 

https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2010/03/using-emotional-freedom-techniques-eft.html 

https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2016/03/in-grief-using-eye-movement.html

Archived