Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My toby

Unbearable grief

• Members
Unbearable grief

I had to euthanize my Male cat on the 20th of January After reading this forum I now know I am not crazy. We struggled with the thought for 3 days as we went to and fro to the hospital. The vet stated it was the only humane descision. I have never cried so much. In fact the tears are making it difficult to write this. The void he has left not only in the home but in my soul cannot be expressed in words. It comes in waves and just when I think I can cope it comes back like tsunami I am very sorry for everyone’s loss and hope time will be the healer, although I doubt it

8891554A-5F2A-4E4A-83C1-49901F30D942.jpeg

233F49A5-D3C7-46A0-8179-C3E04ACEA7B2.jpeg

• Members

So sorry for your loss. It is definitely a tough thing to experience and making the decision yourself just adds to the complex emotions after. I doubt there are any magic words but being among those who know what it's like does seem to be helpful. The people here have certainly been helpful for me getting through such a difficult time. We love our furry friends and it is quite an adjustment when they leave us. I lost mine on the 9th and still grieve for her everyday. Hugs

• Members
Unbearable grief

So sorry for your loss. Hope you continue to ease your pain even if it is little at a time

• Members

I'm sorry for your loss. I understand your position as I feel like my current emotions will be permanent; however being on this forum and reading other people's stories has helped. To see that some people, despite still holding their pets in their hearts; have been able to offer their hearts to new pets. I'm sure that despite how we feel now, we'll get to a point where we can make peace with it eventually.

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Toby. He looks a little like my guy, that pink nose. 

I know how painful this is, so yes you are not crazy. Everyone who finds their way here is experiencing a profound loss. We have really deep bonds with our furry companions. Our sweet cat was like our kid - we adopted him when he was 5 and had him for 10 years. The loss was awful, sudden and we were in total shock. We were like zombies for weeks. It can be a very dark time to get your mind used to their absence.

But having gone through this, and being as crushed as I think a person can be, you will survive, you will get better. You learn to live without them, and then to love again. (I finally adopted a new kitty last month.)

But my heart-  which now functions... and I am back to "normal" will be forever broken by what happened to our cat.  

• Moderators

I am so sorry for your loss of Toby.  Beautiful cat.  Looks a lot like my King George that I lost 11 1/2 years ago, he was my greeter, a wonderful family cat.  The pain lessens in time but we never ever forget them and they live on in our hearts.

• Members
13 hours ago, Unbearable grief said:

So sorry for your loss. Hope you continue to ease your pain even if it is little at a time

Ty too. I hope you are having a better day. I have started to participate in a candle lighting ceremony on Monday's to try and give a time to focus on missing my friend.  I'll get there eventually.  Time is a healer in a lot of ways...it gives room to learn to adjust and continue on without them. Even though they are never forgotten and I feel confident that they will never stop being loved. hugs

• Members
Unbearable grief

I am so glad I found this forum. Thank you for your thoughts and wishes. I just wanted to say Toby followed some simple instructions like “no” “sit” “go” “out” “down and up” he was like a dog. My companion my friend and very close to my hubby too. I still find it difficult although at least now I can see his videos and photos without that feeling of the weight of the mountain on my heart. I do hear him and feel him though which is painful. I will continue to visit this forum to stay sane.

• Moderators

My cat understands what I say but doesn't obey commands much, she likes to decide for herself!

I know the pain of loss all too well, I wish you comfort.

• Members

My sweet kitty was like a dog too. He was very smart. He came when we called him. We talked to him all the time. (well, he was like our child eventually.) He actually traveled well too kind of like a dog. Losing him was unlike any emotional pain I have ever suffered and I had physical pain. My heart hurt. My stomach ached.

I am glad it is behind me but it was a life-changing loss.  

CourageFace.jpg

• Members
Unbearable grief

My god so cute. What happened to your cat Ajwcat The way you describe your pain looks like you were describing me. People would not believe when he obeyed the commands. But I never took him on trips as I was scared to put stress on him or lose him, always had someone to baby sit, he also drank from a running tap in the tub and would demand such. Take care 

• Members
Unbearable grief
14 hours ago, KayC said:

My cat understands what I say but doesn't obey commands much, she likes to decide for herself!

Thanks for your good wishes. I think the only reason Toby was more like a dog and following commands is because we found him when he was around 2 weeks old. He could fit in a mug. Best of luck for your cat. Hold him dearly.

• Moderators

Kitty is 22 1/2, I feel like she's living on borrowed time.  My dog is ten Valentine's Day, the Golden Retriever lives to 9, the Husky side of him 10-12, also on borrowed time.  All we can do is make the most of each day, each moment we have with them.  They are gone far too soon.

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Kitty is 22 1/2, I feel like she's living on borrowed time.  My dog is ten Valentine's Day, the Golden Retriever lives to 9, the Husky side of him 10-12, also on borrowed time.  All we can do is make the most of each day, each moment we have with them.  They are gone far too soon.

Yes KayC! Wow I didn't realize you had yours since 2 weeks wow! We adopted our guy when he was 5. Lucky us, cannot believe someone would give him up for any reason. He liked to drink out of the shower once we got out. It was adorable. Crazy quirks and we gave into all of them. 

• Members
Unbearable grief
On 2018-01-25 at 8:33 AM, KayC said:

Thanks for your wishes. I am sure we will get through this.

• Members

@Unbearable grief, hi just checking on you. 17 years is a long time so how are you holding up?  The story about how your kitty followed commands was pretty amazing.  They can be so incredibly unique!  Mine(the ones i still have) only understand "no" and the sound of a chip bag opening, lol.  But when my Mocha was young - before the age of 5 when her "episodes" started - she would actually fetch.  I thought it was the coolest thing.  I would wad up a piece of paper and she would hear it and come running.  I could toss it in the air and she would jump up and grab it and bring it to me to toss again.  But she hadn't done that in a very long time.  Though it would always get her attention when i wadded up a piece of paper.  Anyway, hoping your days are getting better even if only slightly. hugs

• Members
Unbearable grief

Thank you mymoca for asking. I am getting there slowly some days are better than others. You are absolutely right about the pleasure our pet bring to us. Yes they love the noise of paper and also would love to sleep and hide inside plastic bags. Well I look at the clouds and feel he is there somewhere. I tell you they are so easy to please.

Take care

Archived