Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Struggling...

daisy17

• Members

Hello,

I lost my mom 3 months ago to cancer.  I was her caregiver at the end and it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.  I have nightmares and flashbacks of all the horrible noises and visuals.  No child should ever have to see their parent die like that.  I lost my father and stepfather a few years prior and feel like I have nobody now.  I left my job to take care of my mom and haven't been able to find work since.  I am stuck in the house with my thoughts most days because it's too cold to go outside.  The depression is debilitating and I have not had any luck finding something that works for sleep for more than a few hours.  I feel like I am a shell of my former self.  My relationship with my partner is in turmoil as well.  I feel like a crazy person.  I just keep wondering when this all will end.  I want me back.

• Members

Hello Daisy17,

3 months is not long. I lost my Dad just over 3 months ago and the pain is still intense. I miss him so much. We need to be kind to ourselves. 

I had flashbacks for a long time after my Mum died. Images of her lying on the floor, her body being taken away. It still hurts to think of those things now but I do think of those images less often now. I hope the same will happen for you.

I am also having trouble sleeping. Going to sleep is my biggest challenge. My mind will not switch off. So many thoughts running around. Even if I try to write them down it does not help. 

Just wanted to reach out and let you know that you are not alone. You did a wonderful, selfless act caring for your Mum. Now you need to put that energy into caring for you. 

Archived