Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Victims of diabetes

Brazil Man

• Members
Brazil Man

I Posted days ago that my wife was victim of cancer. But I've learnt that diabetes can be as harmful as cancer.I'd like to hear from friends here whose their beloved  was victim of diabetes.

• Like 2

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

My wife, Veronica, was Type 1 diabetic since being diagnosed when she was 6 years old.  Her mom used to give her insulin with a glass syringe which mom would clean and sterilize by boiling in water, and reuse.  By the time I met Veronica around 1970, she was using the plastic syringes and testing her urine with CliniTest tablets.  Then shortly after we met she had a glucose meter that was kind of clunky and required almost a minute to give results.  She taught me how to give her insulin injections before we got married.  She progressed from syringes to her first insulin pump in 2004, and they just got better after that, along with glucose monitoring, like the Dexcom G6 system she had toward the end.  Diabetes affected her eyes, causing retinopathy.  She developed a rocker bottom sole of her left foot when her arch collapsed and caused an open sore that would not heal and became infected, resulting in amputation loss of her left leg below the knee.  Wounds took longer than normal to heal with her.  When Veronica was a teenager, her doctor told her she would not be able to have any kids and not live to the age of 40.  She gave me two sons in 1978 and 1979 and lived to be 67.  Controlling her blood sugar after the amputation surgery was a challenge and her wight ballooned, which probably explains her high blood pressure, which likely led to her kidneys failing, and her congestive heart failure just became more prominent toward the end.  Lots of issues piled up and just overwhelmed her.  She didn’t let anything stop her, for the most part, but she, we, just could not overcome her heart issue and kidney failure together.  

• Hugs 3

• Moderators

She must have been T1, diagnosed so young and put on insulin.  I have a friend diagnosed in her 20s, T1 and had to have an insulin bag inside of her.  
Bless Veronica's heart, very hard, very unfair.

• Hugs 2