Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How are you staying cool in the heat?

Gail 8588

• Moderators

My friend lives in TX, she's fortunate that her husband started their generator and got their A/C going again.  Supposed to have four days w/o power.

I have a stand alone A/C and the venting outside came apart during the night, so I had to get up and rehook it back up, took about 1/2 hour, then another couple hours to get back to sleep for too short a time.

I hate doing the heat/massage to my eye during this heat.  Doesn't seem to be helping anyway.  I've also been using a fan when the A/C isn't on.  It helps a lot! But not when it's hot outside.

• Like 4

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

Our friend in Pearland, TX, south of Houston, reported they got power back today.  She has been cleaning tree branches and debris from around her home, and a fence got blown over.  She is the friend Veronica and I went to visit in Nov 2022 for her husband’s memorial, my submarine service brother.  

Interesting data point about the Houston area: turns out anyone who had a Whataburger app on their phone could track power outages by looking at which locations were orange (power on) or Gary in color (no power).  

• Like 3

• Moderators

It was 90 here yesterday, so much for lower 80s they predicted.

Rey, that is hopeful if someplace got their power back!

• Like 3

• Members
foreverhis

Here's my smarty pants answer:  I cope with it by living in a place where we rarely have that kind of heat.  Not never, that's for sure, but hot spells (90-100) are rare and usually no longer than 3 days.  The autumn Santa Ana and Santa Lucia winds from the east warm us considerably.

I've mentioned our nano climates.  Last week, we had the largest summer temperature differential ever recorded:  Our high near the water was 56 degrees; inland 15 miles and "over the hill" was 115.  We've had summer differentials of 40 degrees for decades, but this was unprecedented.  I have to admit it bugs me when anyone says, "See?  It's getting colder where you are.  There's no global warming."  Hello?  It's colder here because it's hotter inland every year and that draws in the strong marine layer with fog and wind.

On the flip side, we're warmer in the winter.  We can be sunny and mid 70s in December while over the hill the high will be 42.  We live for the sunny, warm autumn and winter times.  While everyone else is dragging out the heavy clothes, we're in shorts and t-shirts and at the beach.  The Pacific waters here are quite cold all year, so only visitors, surfers in wetsuits, and children brave it.  But it's sure nice to go beach combing in January in the warm sun.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
WithoutHer
1 minute ago, KayC said:

So jealous!

Me too. The child in me wants to stick my tongue out and say brat. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
widower2
4 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Here's my smarty pants answer:  I cope with it by living in a place where we rarely have that kind of heat.  Not never, that's for sure, but hot spells (90-100) are rare and usually no longer than 3 days.  The autumn Santa Ana and Santa Lucia winds from the east warm us considerably.

I've mentioned our nano climates.  Last week, we had the largest summer temperature differential ever recorded:  Our high near the water was 56 degrees; inland 15 miles and "over the hill" was 115.  We've had summer differentials of 40 degrees for decades, but this was unprecedented.  I have to admit it bugs me when anyone says, "See?  It's getting colder where you are.  There's no global warming."  Hello?  It's colder here because it's hotter inland every year and that draws in the strong marine layer with fog and wind.

On the flip side, we're warmer in the winter.  We can be sunny and mid 70s in December while over the hill the high will be 42.  We live for the sunny, warm autumn and winter times.  While everyone else is dragging out the heavy clothes, we're in shorts and t-shirts and at the beach.  The Pacific waters here are quite cold all year, so only visitors, surfers in wetsuits, and children brave it.  But it's sure nice to go beach combing in January in the warm sun.

PHLBLBLBLBLBLTTTTTT!

;) 

Actually extreme heat like this isn't the norm here...oh it gets warm and quite humid, but we usually have at most a brief spell or two of really over-the-top hot weather. But this year has been crazy....

• Like 2

• Members
Gail 8588

My grand kids love playing in their 10' by 5' inflatable swimming pool. ($15 at Walmart).  I am tempted to get one for myself in a shaded part of my backyard.  My cover story would be that it's  for the grand kids, but I can see me just lounging in it with a cold drink and some music playing, maybe an audible book.

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, widower2 said:

PHLBLBLBLBLBLTTTTTT!

;) 

Actually extreme heat like this isn't the norm here...oh it gets warm and quite humid, but we usually have at most a brief spell or two of really over-the-top hot weather. But this year has been crazy....

It is way hotter for long duration than we are used to!

• Like 1

• Members
Roxeanne

It's crazy weather here too...in Paris it was cold, i was on tour Eiffel and the wind blew like on the mountains! I had to put on my jacket...meanwhile in Milan there was a storm with hail like eggs! Now we have the first moderate heat wave of the summer...good for the kids who saw Tailor Swift in concert in the last two days in Milan!

• Hugs 3

• Moderators

San Diego, beautiful, I remember when I visited and we went out on the water, it is a beautiful place, moderate temperature.

• Like 2

• Members
foreverhis

The thing is that we have times throughout the late spring to early autumn when we don’t see the sun for weeks. We even have names for those months: May Gray, June Gloom, No Sky July, and Fog-ust.

It can get dreary and depressing. It’s a joke-but-not-a-joke that inlanders come here to cool off for a while and we head inland to warm up.  In the last 8 weeks we’ve had maybe 10 truly nice days (sunny, not too windy, mid 70s). I guess no matter where we live, we can always complain about the weather.😉

• Hugs 3

• Members
foreverhis
15 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

My grand kids love playing in their 10' by 5' inflatable swimming pool. ($15 at Walmart).  I am tempted to get one for myself in a shaded part of my backyard.  My cover story would be that it's  for the grand kids, but I can see me just lounging in it with a cold drink and some music playing, maybe an audible book.

IMO, no cover story needed at our age! Go for it and let others envy your fabulous self enjoying cool water, a cold beverage, and a good book.

• Like 3

• Moderators
widower2

We're hitting 100 today and tomorrow. Not 100 heat index, just flat 100. ugh. Then finally it's supposed to be back around upper 80s for awhile...

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
WithoutHer
24 minutes ago, widower2 said:

We're hitting 100 today and tomorrow. Not 100 heat index, just flat 100. ugh. Then finally it's supposed to be back around upper 80s for awhile...

Same here. West Central Maryland. A short but hard shower just passed through. Raised the humidity and made it feel more miserable.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

90s here. I didn't think about that, have been envying you all your rain, but you are right, it'd just raise the humidity!

• Like 4

• Members
On 7/14/2024 at 4:07 PM, foreverhis said:

When the temp changes so drastically I always think earthquakes are coming.  Those plates like to shift in big temp changes.  

On 7/15/2024 at 2:39 AM, Roxeanne said:

It's crazy weather here too...in Paris it was cold, i was on tour Eiffel and the wind blew like on the mountains! I had to put on my jacket...meanwhile in Milan there was a storm with hail like eggs! Now we have the first moderate heat wave of the summer...good for the kids who saw Tailor Swift in concert in the last two days in Milan!

how fun to live in Paris.  Taylor Swift.... I would love to see her in concert.  

• Like 2

• Members
On 7/15/2024 at 7:00 AM, KayC said:

San Diego, beautiful, I remember when I visited and we went out on the water, it is a beautiful place, moderate temperature.

I have been there once.  The heat is a dry heat.  I loved it.  It was beautiful.  I love that you have Swap meets there....we call them flea markets here. 

• Like 2

• Members

Tips for beating the heat

I keep the ac running during the day for my business but as soon as I am done working I shut that sucker off.  Make sure to keep your ac vents cleaned.  

quick cool showers

wet towel sometimes wrap ice in it around my neck

go swimming, camp pool or hit a lake....  the pool has been like bath water.

at night I run a fan only if I can't stand it ( been watching my electrical usage)   on hot hot can't stand it nights wet your top sheet under the sink and wring out, to cool off.  I don't like having nothing on me at night.  I at least need a sheet.  

popsicles, ice cream, ice water and keeping hydrated.  I bought a tall starbucks tumbler that I fill with ice then the rest water.  This has been working out for me well. I eyed that thing for a long time before getting it.  Will I use it?  Do I need it?  It is a want or a need?  Finally broke down and bought it and I  have been using it and love it.  They sell all kinds of them and for months I had my eye on one.  Glad I did it.  I really love it.  I probably will get another one at some point.  They also have knock offs all over the place that are cheaper.  I am not against those at all  I just had my eye on a certain one.  I love starbucks.  I hate the price but I do love starbucks.  Once in a while I will get a refresher.  Those are nice on hot days. 

I have portable battery operated fans that I take from room to room.  I got two good top quality ones on my quest for tools phase.  Glad I did.

I don't do a lot.  I shift things down a notch and relax, make sandwiches for meals instead of hot dinners.  Honestly I don't cook on those type of days and get something out Subway, or some such.   

These are the little things that work for me in the heat.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
widower2

In this area at least the highs will be high 80s for awhile. Finally!

• Like 2

• Members
Rey Dominguez Jr

The really hot months for us in Sandy Eggo are September and October, with inland temps hitting the 100’s.  Not sure why those two months, but we can be hot and dry, or hot and humid, with storm clouds in the east past the mountains.  Then the weather cools in late October.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Oddly enough the temps went down with the fire as the smoke filled the sky and kept the sun's heat at bay, but now with the fire abutting my property, who knows?  We got gone last night after it jumped the containment line.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

Oddly enough the temps went down with the fire as the smoke filled the sky and kept the sun's heat at bay, but now with the fire abutting my property, who knows?  We got gone last night after it jumped the containment line.

must be very scary.  Where do you go?  What do you take with you?  I will keep you in my thoughts that you do not lose your home

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Thank you, my feral (outdoor only) cat will NOT be trapped or contained so have to leave him. I hid a big pan of food and water from the skunks and showed Panther where it is.  He takes good care of himself, I saw that when he's had wounds or when the bear came after him.

I take Kodie, myself, a week's worth of clothes, briefcase w/laptop, chargers, some of Kodie's toys and food, Rxs, food, they will shut the electricity off.  Am hoping my freezer does not lose food.

• Like 2