Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Guilty

MichaelPRoss

• Members
MichaelPRoss

2 years ago my dad passed away from covid. We had to make the decision to take him off support and let him go. That was when i realized one day my kids will feel the same way I was feeling right then. I have felt a sense of guilt ever since. In January of this year i lost my wife and the mother of 6. We had to remove her from support and let her go.I see how they are struggling and again I feel guilty. In April i lost my mom again having to make the call to take her off support. How do I shake off the feeling of guilt that one day after I’m gone they won’t have anyone??

• Hugs 1

• Moderators

I hope this helps...

• Members

Hey First of all im really sorry to hear that. 

"Wounds heal. Scars fade. Awful memories can be overwritten with better ones if given the chance. The little imperfections of our psyches become overshadowed by the people whose love we cherish because they cherish us despite our faults; physical, emotional, spiritual, or otherwise. This thing we call the human condition with all its bittersweet blind corners and senseless humor evolves from within ourselves and not because of some pre-ordained reverie we desire to cast in the constellations.

All in all, it is what makes life worth living."

To be honest, there's no answer that will help you lose the guilt today or tomorrow.

Because guilt is a part of grief, and grief will never leave.

But grief shows us how important the people in our lives were. And it's for them that we need to keep living and making the best of our lives.

And if I can give you one Advice please go to a therapist (Also with your Kids it will help them)  or at least talk to someone you can trust.

Because no random internet freak like me can give you the right answer to that.

But it will take time, and as someone who thought he was alone his whole life:

You are never alone. In the worst case, you have some random internet guy that will always listen to your struggles. :D

I wish you all the best in life and take care.

"Sometimes the best way to heal is to simply share your story."

• Like 1

• Members
lilstarsmum

I’m so sorry for your losses, friend. My heart goes out to you at this time. I can’t imagine how painful and devastating it must be for you and your kids. Losing special people in our lives is very hard, and the impact of such a loss is deep. Please don’t be hard on yourself. I’d suggest that you speak to a grief counselor. You may also check out the book: When You Lose Someone You Love by Richard Exley. I know it’s not easy but stay strong. Sending hugs & prayers your way.

• Like 1