Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Losing both parents at 23

• Members
Ell001

Hi, I had lost my mum when I was 15 7 years ago and had struggled with the loss for a long time but have recently gotten to a point where I could talk about her without always being upset and looking back on the good times we had together. I have now also lost my dad recently and I don’t know what to do. I had found both parents and they had both passed unexpectedly. I moved out  this year and got my first house and had the chance to tell my dad I’m pregnant before he passed and he was really excited. He went on holiday the week before and had the best time but he was only 53. I can’t process that this has happened, I feel like I could go round his house and he’ll be there. I’m feeling guilty as I only really went round there once or twice a week. I would always be there if he needed help with anything but I just thought we’d have more time and it feels like all of the things we were looking forward too have been taken away. I just can’t process this and everything feels unfair. My friends moan to me about work or relationships and normally I have the most patience but right now I have no patience and feel like I can’t hear it. Im just in shock and can’t believe something like this has happened again.

• Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2

I'm so sorry for your loss. Grief and guilt are old friends; it's very common to feel guilty about a loss, even when it's not fair to do so. Try not to; it's not fair to you. As for your friends, IMO the last thing you need to worry about is helping them. If anything, they should be trying to help you. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

My heart goes out to you. I lost my dad when I was in my 20s and expecting my first child too.  So hard!  I encourage you to read in this section so you don't feel so alone in what you're going through.  💕

• Members

Hey, I'm so sorry to hear that. I want you to understand one thing: you are currently looking through glasses filled with the fog of grief. But that fog will slowly pass away, and you will see the light again. It’s okay to grieve for our lost ones, and it’s normal to feel frustrated or impatient with others, but it’s also okay to set boundaries and take your time. Try to get some time for yourself, as long as it takes. But also, you need to understand that grief is something that will probably never disappear completely, and it would be sad if it did. Because only that way does it show us what beautiful human beings they were, and feeling pain and grief is something that should remind us that we are still alive. Grief is a part of constant healing. And please don't forget, they are always a part of you and will look after you from somewhere else. Take care, and I wish you and your family all the best in life. And if you need someone to talk to, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people here iuncluding me who would love to listen to your stories, both the sad and the good ones.

• Like 1