Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Whatever happens first.

Beau

• Members

Would it be so wrong to just tell people "his mother passed away" and then put a finger up to your mouth and make the motion as if you are saying "Shhsh" ? I mean, why not just tell them and shame them at the same time? I get hit with all kinds of embarrassing comments and questions just on everyday kind of stuff, as if I am like most anyone else and have what most everyone else has. And I've learned to just be honest and tell them...."No, I don't have a cell phone. No, I don't have a car right now. No, I don't have anyone who can help me". I find that just being honest seems to quickly shut them up, probably because they've embarrassed themselves but also, I do get a lot of empathy too from people. Now this was before I lost my husband. I can only imagine the things people will be embarrassing themselves with on this subject. 

BTW, coming on here for grief support is brave. Your baby will benefit from it too. 

• Like 3

• Members

@tnd well, I don't think it would be wrong, but they're not owed that information and I don't care enough about a stranger for me to want to shame them or to have their empathy. Leaving people alone costs nothing, and if that was a choice, that would be my pick. 

I don't know what exactly how this connects to being without a phone, a car, or someone to help. I've had those experiences too. None of that comes even remotely close to the experience that is to be alive, knowing that her life is over. 

@Gail 8588 and @widower2 I hadn't thought about that. Maybe it is a common belief, though it feels more like a fact if I really think about it. In my mind there is no doubt that Annemarie was a better person and also better equiped for life than I am.

I know that any Tom, Dick and Harry dies and suddenly becomes a candidate for sainthood, but I also realize that there are in fact good people in the world, not just average or passing, but atypical persons that stand out above the rest. So love and bias aside, I feel this is ture about the two of us. 

• Like 2

• Members
2 minutes ago, Beau said:

I don't know what exactly how this connects to being without a phone, a car, or someone to help. None of that comes even remotely close to the experience that is to be alive, knowing that her life is over. 

Beau:  Sorry, I'm not very articulate. What I meant about bringing those things up was that people ask me questions or make comments that either embarrass me or anger me. I hate it when people put everyone into one box and assume things. So I found a way to turn it around. Or I could choose to be silent and walk away mad. I expect that with the loss of my husband I will now encounter comments about "your husband this, or your husband that..." and in fact, I no longer have him. But I am thinking of using the same strategy I use about other unwanted comments/questions. Don't know if it will accomplish anything but hopefully it will make them think twice before making their comments or asking questions of the next person. I hope you find a strategy for yourself. Having a choice in how you deal with things is freedom.  

• Like 2

• Members

@tnd thank you for clearing that up.

The thing is, I don't feel embarrassed or angry. When this woman asked my son (really me, but through my baby) is we were giving his mom a break, all I felt was overwhelming sorrow. A sadness that I cannot name. Because no, she wasn't at home catching up in her sleep or doing a load of laundry, or whatever first time mothers do when they have a break. Every day I can pick myself up with enough focus and concrete thoughts to carry specific tasks without crying or feeling completely defeated by life without her. Anything else will in fact make me collapse, my brain will go blank.

Crying in the middle of the street in front of a bunch of strangers isn't part of the plan, but this time it happened because I couldn't help myself. 

The anger came later, because why do people need to talk just because they have mouths. In that moment though, it was something else. I can't describe it. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Beau, my heart hurts for you and the situation life put you in! Extremely unfair! Statistically very rare too. I am so sorry you have to deal with strangers like that woman approaching your months old baby and asking him questions?! To me this is as fake and pretentious as it gets. And no “she meant well” can make this approach right. The hight of stereotyping and disrespect towards you! I can’t pretend I can even imagine how you feel but I would be angry too. You don’t have to be kind to these people, you have full right to tell them how they make you feel. You don’t owe them anything, in fact they owe you at least an apology. I know it may come across as rude but it will be honest and honesty can be very liberating and satisfying.
If it was me, I would tell her to f*k right off, she doesn’t know anything about you and has no right to stereotype you. The only downside in a situation like this would be the bad vibes around your pure and innocent child and no better person than you to decide what’s right for him. You are a smart, loving, honest person and he is very lucky to have you as his father. Be kind to yourself. (((Hugs)))

Sent from my iPad using Grieving.com

• Like 4

• Moderators
10 hours ago, widower2 said:

Then when you get home you can fantasize about slamming them into a wall or pushing them off a cliff. :)  

II love this, you are so funny!  You say the things the rest of us think but don't say.  ;)

I developed a backbone when George died and learned to stand up for myself since he's no longer here to do it.  So if a stranger were oogling my baby and saying such things, I'd go for the abrupt mode and just come out and SAY:  His mommy is dead.  Then I'd pick up and hold my crying baby and walk away.  Very annoying, I'm sure!  People do say a lot of inappropriate things out of ignorance.  But people need to learn not to approach/interact with little ones they don't know!  MANY people do not like this, whether the mom is deceased or not!  This is a "stranger danger" world.

10 hours ago, widower2 said:

just to point out that as hard as it may be to appreciate given your intense pain, believe it or not, it could be worse.

I disagree with this statement as nothing feels "worse" to him right now than his current experience/situation.  To each of us, our loss/grief is the worst.  Comparisons do not help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Beau said:

I just don't like the thought of people approaching my son. 

And that's okay.  Go ahead, be protective, dad!  That's your job and you're doing a good job of it.:wub:

6 hours ago, tnd said:

Would it be so wrong to just tell people "his mother passed away" and then put a finger up to your mouth and make the motion as if you are saying "Shhsh" ? I mean, why not just tell them and shame them at the same time?

Yes!

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Beau said:

well, I don't think it would be wrong, but they're not owed that information and I don't care enough about a stranger for me to want to shame them or to have their empathy. Leaving people alone costs nothing, and if that was a choice, that would be my pick. 

We all find what works best for us, our OWN way! ;)

4 hours ago, Beau said:

The anger came later, because why do people need to talk just because they have mouths.

I love this! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Maria_PI said:

I am so sorry you have to deal with strangers like that woman approaching your months old baby and asking him questions?! To me this is as fake and pretentious as it gets. And no “she meant well” can make this approach right.

I feel the same way and I see your approach and mine would be similar!

• Like 2

• Moderators

On 6/12/2021 at 2:48 AM, tnd said:

Would it be so wrong to just tell people "his mother passed away" and then put a finger up to your mouth and make the motion as if you are saying "Shhsh" ? I mean, why not just tell them and shame them at the same time?

Because it's mean and pointless? Yeah, IMO it WOULD be so wrong, tempting as it is. 

On 6/12/2021 at 4:37 AM, Beau said:

why do people need to talk just because they have mouths.

It's not just because they have mouths. It's because human beings are social creatures and are esp drawn to babies. 

On 6/12/2021 at 5:18 AM, Maria_PI said:

Beau, my heart hurts for you and the situation life put you in! Extremely unfair! Statistically very rare too. I am so sorry you have to deal with strangers like that woman approaching your months old baby and asking him questions?! To me this is as fake and pretentious as it gets. And no “she meant well” can make this approach right. The hight of stereotyping and disrespect towards you! I can’t pretend I can even imagine how you feel but I would be angry too. You don’t have to be kind to these people, you have full right to tell them how they make you feel. You don’t owe them anything, in fact they owe you at least an apology. I know it may come across as rude but it will be honest and honesty can be very liberating and satisfying.
If it was me, I would tell her to f*k right off, 

How obnoxious and ill advised. I disagree with everything you've said. The woman was not "fake" or "pretentious" at all; that doesn't even make sense. And yes, "she meant well" I think matters. I'm not excusing her if she made Beau feel bad at all, but obviously that was not her intent. It also is not "stereotyping" or "disrespectful" (though I get the annoying part!). Showing an interest in a baby is disrespectful? ?? You are right that Beau doesn't owe her anything, but she meant nothing other than a passing interest in a baby, and most parents whether they admit it or not normally like it when someone gushes a bit over their baby. How the hell is she or anyone else supposed to know he's a widower? As you pointed out, that's a rare situation for someone with a baby. And yes, ripping her a new one, as totally understandable as it is from Beau's point of view, IMO would have been quite rude, even though I get how it would be tempting. It might be "satisfying" at the moment, but I doubt looking back on it later in reflection, something anyone would be proud of. I won't even comment further on the potty mouth suggestion. Seriously? 

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, widower2 said:

Showing an interest in a baby is disrespectful? ??

In this day and age, in the culture we are in, it can be inappropriate with strangers.  Stranger danger!  It's a sad sign of our times, but there it is, very real.

I get what Maria is saying, different people have different ways of dealing with things.  After George died, I developed moxie and learned to stand up for myself as the one who had my back was no longer here, it was up to me now.  And people can say such stupid things to us when we're grieving!  Right after George died, I was at church at my pastor asked me how I was doing, he had a caring look in his eyes and I crumbled...I started crying and right away a lady (who had not lost HER husband!) piped up and said, "You can't love Jesus more than George!"  It seemed such an inappropriate and off-the-wall remark and I instantly responded, "Jesus is here, George isn't!"  to which my pastor affirmed.  Sometimes people need their inappropriateness called to their attention.

In this situation the lady would not have assumed the mother was dead, was trying to be caring/interested, and I would not respond rudely to her, but there are instances where people need an abrupt reply.  I would have just replied "His mother is dead."

My little sister, Julie, had a baby born without a brain (yes, it happens), Courtney had the stem which controls reflexes (breathing) but no cognitive ability.  She lived to almost two years.  We went to Disney on Ice with her and she was dressed up adorable and the loudmouthed lady sitting behind us rudely said to her neighbor, "I think it's horrible that people pierce their baby's ears!  They should let them make that decision when they grow up!"  My sister turned around and said, "She's not going to grow up, she can't make decisions, she doesn't have a brain!"  and she promptly turned around.  It left the lady with her mouth wide open, astonished!  Good.  Maybe next time she'll mind her own business and keep her trap shut.  BTW, Julie is normally sensitive/tactful/nice!

2 hours ago, Beau said:

Being left alone while standing on line for the bank is not an unreasonable expectation. Particularly if no eye contact is being made

Yes, we can take our cues from others to see if they're open to chat or not. ;)

• Like 2

• Members
Diane R. E.
4 hours ago, KayC said:

Yes, we can take our cues from others to see if they're open to chat or not.

I think this statement is right on - thanks Kay!

• Like 1

• Members
LoveNeverDies

On 6/11/2021 at 8:35 PM, Beau said:

But then this lady had so ask "are you and your daddy giving mommy a break?" and that is how that encounter ended.

I don’t think these people meant any harm, if they knew what you are going through I’m sure they would have had a better choice of words . 

On 6/12/2021 at 5:18 AM, Maria_PI said:

If it was me, I would tell her to f*k right off, she doesn’t know anything about you and has no right to stereotype you. The only downside in a situation like this would be the bad vibes around your pure and innocent child and no better person than you to decide what’s right for him.

I disagree completely with you, this woman wasn’t being mean at all and how do you know that SHE didn’t just lose someone close to her? Being a jerk doesn’t help anyone’s situation.

• Like 1

• Moderators

9 hours ago, Beau said:

I guess so.

However, I don't think there's something wrong with wanting to be left alone and for people to hold back on their most social impulses. Tons of people out there, for reasons that go from being neurodivergent to just bitter like me do not want to be approached. Just because one pattern of behavior is more celebrated and pallatable doesn't mean that being the other way isn't normal or that us a-social people need to accomodate to our chipper counterparts all the time.

Being left alone while standing on line for the bank is not an unreasonable expectation. Particularly if no eye contact is being made, social distance measures are put in place, and the baby she just absolutely had to address is in fact sleeping. Nothing about that reads "please ask me about my baby". Social creatures could learn to read some social cues. 

Absolutely, I agree with everything you said. And I hope what I said didn't come out wrong. My only point is - and I know this is WAY easier said than done - try to keep their intent in mind, not the bumbling way they go about it. (esp when they don't pick up on body language)

6 hours ago, KayC said:

In this day and age, in the culture we are in, it can be inappropriate with strangers.  Stranger danger!  It's a sad sign of our times, but there it is, very real.

I get what Maria is saying, different people have different ways of dealing with things.  After George died, I developed moxie and learned to stand up for myself as the one who had my back was no longer here, it was up to me now.  And people can say such stupid things to us when we're grieving!  Right after George died, I was at church at my pastor asked me how I was doing, he had a caring look in his eyes and I crumbled...I started crying and right away a lady (who had not lost HER husband!) piped up and said, "You can't love Jesus more than George!"  It seemed such an inappropriate and off-the-wall remark and I instantly responded, "Jesus is here, George isn't!"  to which my pastor affirmed.  Sometimes people need their inappropriateness called to their attention.

In this situation the lady would not have assumed the mother was dead, was trying to be caring/interested, and I would not respond rudely to her, but there are instances where people need an abrupt reply.  I would have just replied "His mother is dead."

My little sister, Julie, had a baby born without a brain (yes, it happens), Courtney had the stem which controls reflexes (breathing) but no cognitive ability.  She lived to almost two years.  We went to Disney on Ice with her and she was dressed up adorable and the loudmouthed lady sitting behind us rudely said to her neighbor, "I think it's horrible that people pierce their baby's ears!  They should let them make that decision when they grow up!"  My sister turned around and said, "She's not going to grow up, she can't make decisions, she doesn't have a brain!"  and she promptly turned around.  It left the lady with her mouth wide open, astonished!  Good.  Maybe next time she'll mind her own business and keep her trap shut.  BTW, Julie is normally sensitive/tactful/nice!

Agree totally with you here too Kay. IMO this is somewhat different...esp that second example. That person was just being an obnoxious idiot who should mind her own business. 

• Like 3

• Members

I am sorry if I have offended anyone here with my "potty mouth", but I think we are all adults here. Of course, I wouldn't have said this exact phrase to the stranger approaching my baby and speaking to him referring to me, but I would certainly have told her that it was none of her business and to go away. I wouldn't have said the "potty phrase" ONLY because of the baby's presence. I think approaching a stranger's baby, however sweet and attractive it can seem, is creepy. Even in a close-knit society the individual's personal space needs to be respected. I would never do that to a stranger. To a friend maybe, but then I would have known my friend's situation and preference, and that's a big difference.

• Like 3

• Members

KimK, 

I am so very sorry for your loss, and I am appalled at the insensitivity of your parents. 

I know you need the help, but oh my, I am so sorry you have to endure their thoughtless? comments.

Hugs,

Gail

• Like 2