Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I’m so numb I can’t take it

Ainslie

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Ainslie said:

Me the over thinker and Andrew was the one who was the fly by the seat of your pants.

This was us too, we balanced each other.  I so miss his spontaneity.  

• Like 1

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ainslie

• KayC

• tnd

• BridgetMcSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Dear Annabelloola, I am so sorry for your loss. The pain is unbearable and it’s so horrible that there is nothing to do but cry. You and your brother are/ were so young. Me and my Andrew are 38. It’s not fair, we were suppose to grow old together. Life will never be the same. It makes me angry that I have no one to talk to about him, it’s like no one around me cares what I’m going through. I am here and I know everyone’s grief is different but at least we have each other to lean on. Sending you the biggest hug.

• Hugs 4

• Members

Thank you so much Annabellos, you are so wise for your years. I can’t believe you’re only 18. What you just wrote I will forever cherish. I see a letter A in the clouds all the time. A bird, a butterfly anything I believe is him trying to say hi. The pain is so raw and unbearable I truly want to die. I’m so sorry for what you are going threw. I know there is nothing I can say to make you feel better but I want you to know I understand your pain and I will be praying and thinking of you. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Ainslie said:

Not one single person in my family has reached out to me or even cares what I’m going through.

This is unreal!  It's hard for me to conceive how a family can be so uncaring!  I am so sorry.  I hope your friends are better.

• Moderators

@Annabelloola  I am so sorry for your loss as well.  Only 15, so young to go through this.  (((hugs)))  No fairness about it.

• Like 1

• Moderators

As someone who had a mom that always responded inappropriately, I continued trying, always hoping for what she could not give to me...motherly love/response.  It's very hard to not be able to count on that from your mom.  For whatever reason your mom seems to be this way too, I am so sorry.  :wub:  I hope you have other friends/family that could more appropriately respond to you with support...it sounds like she just is not it.  II empathize more than you know, been there.  And for some crazy reason, I miss her...or perhaps the hope of her ever being there for me, if she were back she would likely still give the same inappropriate disappointing responses.  Sigh...nobody said life doled things out fairly.  :(  Sending you virtual (((hugs)))

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

KayC thank you so much for all your support. I honestly have felt more from the people on here than I ever have from her. She demands me to do everything for her because I am her child but gives nothing in return. You would think in my time of need she would show some type of heart, I refuse to believe she doesn’t have one she just choose not to use it. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I never knew the"why" of my mom's inappropriateness, I do know the filter she looked at life through was colored with severe paranoia and thus her responses were also distorted.  My aunt said she'd always been that way.  The most difficult person I ever met to deal with!  And I got her as a mom.  Yay.  But the converse could have been I not be born at all, so I guess I'll take it, what choice did I have anyway!  BTW, she once blamed me for being born when I was (two months early) "as people were already counting on their fingers!"  She had an affair with her BIL, left her husband and married my dad three months 27 days later.  Somehow this is MY fault?!  Just an example to show how inappropriate she was.  I was a child when she told me this.

Who knows if your mom is capable or not.  I have hopes that when I get to heaven she will be made right, the way God intended her to be, not the way she lived here.

• Hugs 1

• Members

KayC I question why people like my mom even become parents. I’m so sorry for what you had to go through as well. If I have learned anything from her it would be not being anything like her. And I see how caring and nice you are to all of us, that you’re nothing like your mother either. I guess we can take comfort in knowing that we are better people.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Ainslie, 

I am so sorry that your mom did not comfort and support you.  It is hard to understand why people are the way they are.  But such a completely inappropriate response is truly a reflection of her impaired/deficient mental state.   Little consolation when you need that hug and word of comfort.

My mom and dad died many years ago, so there was really no one I could run to for support.  When a wave of despair knocks you down again, keep telling yourself "this will pass"  "I just need to keep breathing for the next few hours and this pain will let up."  Focusing on just breathing right now, can get you through some pretty rough times even if you don't have a person who can give you that loving embrace. 

I am sorry that you are in such pain.  One thought that sustained me when I was crumbling under the crushing pain of grief was that it is not possible that all the widows and widowers who truly loved their spouses could be in this much pain for the rest of their lives.  They had to have gotten better.  If they got better, I will get better too. 

Your grief will evolve too. It will not always be waves of seemingly unbearable loss.  It will become a memory you carry with you of a cherished part of your life that you wish had lasted longer. 

Hugs

Gail

• Like 2

• Members

Hi Gail. thank you so much for your words of encouragement and support. I swear the feeling of loneliness, grief and sadness is so unbearable. I just want one person to care. One person to hug me. I know in time it does ease up but for now it’s so raw. I don’t have friends, I tried to reach out to “family” my mom and sister and I got such a cold shoulder from both that it seems that the one person I had is gone so what’s the point of being here. He was all I needed because my family has been like this and it never bothered me because I had him to lean on and now he’s gone. I truly am alone.I tried to find a in person grief support group around me and there is no group. I found one that is 150 miles away and it only meets once a month. It seems every where I I try to find support is a dead end. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 6/26/2021 at 6:09 AM, KayC said:

Who knows if your mom is capable or not.  I have hopes that when I get to heaven she will be made right, the way God intended her to be, not the way she lived here.

I mean this sincerely not as a platitude: That is one of the most Christian/human responses I can imagine.  To hope that those who hurt or harm us are made right when their time comes is truly charitable, IMO.

You really are a treasure, Kay.  ((hugs))

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

KayC and foreverhis:  My husband's faith was very strong. He said that (somewhere in the Bible) that when we go to Heaven, we are put there at our best, whenever "our best" was. He said God decides. That could be when we were infants, children, young adults or in our older age, whatever age or how we were that God decides. He added that we will have no memory of past pain or sorrow. Now, I used to have a dream that would repeat itself. Three friends of mine who were murdered would come to me in a dream and ask me to join them. They were smiling and all dressed up and looked real happy. They kept telling me that I needed to "see this place" and that I would really like it. Well, in the dream I would take a couple of steps towards them but then stop. I'd tell them I couldn't go, that I had some things to take care of but that maybe I'd catch up with them later. And then one of my friends would write a number down on a small piece of paper and hand it to me. He'd say, "just call and we will send someone for you". I don't know this place they spoke of but they were very happy about being there. I'd like to think they were in Heaven. 

Well, I always thought this dream was about them coming back and wanting me to join them in Heaven. But my husband said that no, once we go to Heaven we stay. Unless for some reason my husband said he hadn't heard of, God decides to let you "visit" and see your earthly loved ones. My husband went on to say that these dreams of my friends may be imposters wanting me to follow them and not to Heaven, if you get what I mean. That the devil works against us like this. Well, that kind of dampened any comfort I got from this dream but I'd still like to think they are in Heaven, in a good place and the happiest they've ever been. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

I want to thank each and every one of you who take time out of your day and your grieving to be there for me in my time of need. Today has been one of the worst days. I keep trying to fight the crazy thoughts in my head to harm myself. I just want to be with my husband again. I don’t see the point of being here anymore by myself wasting space. I feel like I don’t exist without him. I just want god to take me. The pain is so unbearable. It’s been 33 days and It’s finally becoming real if that makes sense. I feel like I have been in a daze and confused and now I’m starting to realize he isn’t coming home ever. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
15 hours ago, Ainslie said:

I literally fight my feelings to harm myself on a daily basis. It makes it hard when I’m all alone with no family or friends and don’t see the point of existing. Coming to this forum and seeing all of your kind words gets me through another day.

Ainslie:  I had a similar day today where I questioned my own existence. Wondered if perhaps I just shouldn't be here. I've been literally alone for many months while my husband was hospitalized. And then he passed. Being alone is really really hard. But I signed on and started reading everybody's suggestions, thoughts and supportive comments not just to me but, to each other. And it made me lift my chin up a little. I'm here. You're here. We DO have friends here. Maybe not at home but they are here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

Tnd,  thank you so much for sharing what you go through as well. I know everyone’s situation is different but it’s crazy how grief feels the same. I just can’t get over how empty I feel. I just don’t want to exist anymore 

• Like 1

• Members
3 minutes ago, Ainslie said:

I just can’t get over how empty I feel. I just don’t want to exist anymore 

I know what you mean. Felt the same way today. It's torture. The sadness and pain and having to think of things that have to be taken care of is torture. Make me feel ill. But then I had this weird moment...

My eye glasses have been broken for several months. Haven't been able to take them to be fixed but they are so old that I need a new lens prescription. That means paying for an eye exam and new pair of glasses and I just haven't been able to do that yet. Meantime, not even Superglue or Gorilla glue has worked on my broken frames. But a stupid piece of rubber tubing has. That's right! Rubber tubing! I have been so down today but looking at my glasses and that rubber tubing made me laugh. Go figure! Guess I'm okay for today. I want you to be okay too. And if you ever see someone with eyeglasses put together with rubber tubing, that might be me! Keep your chin up. We're here. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

Tnd, thank you so much for that. You managed to put a little smile on my face with your story. I know the feeling of having to do everything but can’t. My husband use to do everything, mow the bills you name it. He was the sole provider and now that income is gone. All the bills are starting to pile up, the grass needs to be done but I have no energy nor the will to do it. I have lost the joy and reason to live. People keep saying there is a reason why God wants you here but honestly I don’t see one.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, Ainslie said:

I have lost the joy and reason to live. People keep saying there is a reason why God wants you here but honestly I don’t see one.

Ainslie, I feel like I've lost my purpose too. Making my husband happy was my reason to get up in the morning. Now what? I will be moving in with my brother and his family and he said maybe my purpose now is just to be an aunt to my 2 teenaged nephews. Okay, I can look forward to that and be grateful that I won't be on the streets but this wasn't how this was suppose to go. So I am really questioning my faith in God right now too. My husband's faith was always stronger than mine and he believed God has a plan for each of us, whether we get to know what that plan is or not. I'd really like to know. But even so, it won't bring back my husband. I know I  need to cope and then move forward but it is already proving to be hard. That's why laughing over my broken eyeglasses and that stupid rubber tubing felt so weird. Hadn't laughed in a long time. It was very brief but was something. Even after I get new glasses I think I will keep these broken old ones. Just in case I need a laugh. I hope you muster up the strength to mow your yard. Maybe one section at a time. Just don't do it in the middle of the nite when you can't sleep. Neighbors probably get all over you for that. Same thing applies to early weekend mornings...good luck, girl. 

• Like 3

• Members
Annabelloola
On 6/26/2021 at 3:18 PM, Ainslie said:

KayC I question why people like my mom even become parents. I’m so sorry for what you had to go through as well. If I have learned anything from her it would be not being anything like her. And I see how caring and nice you are to all of us, that you’re nothing like your mother either. I guess we can take comfort in knowing that we are better people.

My mother was awful. At times she could be the best thing since sliced bread but I think she has some form of mental illness that’s undiagnosed, since she refuses to get help. My therapist thinks she has bipolar disorder, and gone unmedicated that can be quite dangerous. She drove while drunk once and crashed her car. It was at night, I have no clue what she was doing or why she was out there but I think she might’ve just got in the car for a drive when we were asleep. When we noticed the car was gone she said she’d finally decided to throw it out since it had all sorts of problems anyway. She kept it from us that she’d crashed. She spent that year ‘looking for a new car’ but she said she couldn’t find a good enough one. I now know that her licence had been suspended for a year. She kept lots from us, and didn’t like us seeing our dad even though he wanted and tried to see us. I think she does have bipolar. It’s instability, high highs followed by low lows emotionally, and sudden impulses. Sometimes she could be amazing, the best mother ever, then in a second she could switch back and she’d be shouting at us and blaming her problems on us. She called me all sorts of things like dirty cow and bitch, and said I turned out this way because she allowed me to see my dad eventually. I think this got to my brother, he started the arguments and everything and was put in care and I think because of his ADHD and autism he couldn’t work out which side of our mother was her genuine side, since she seemed low more than she was high. She already had clinical depression she was taking medicine for, but it didn’t seem to work. A lot happened to my brother and I think she set it off, but I don’t hold it against her. Even though she’d deny it or block it out that’s the truth. But I don’t hold it against her. She had a very rough childhood, too. She told me loads of stories. Her mother was a nurse and her father was a piano tuner. She was born in 1962 with a non identical twin sister. Her father’s mother had had red hair but she ran off with the milkman, and my mum thinks that since she had red hair, (it’s gone pale/ white now) she reminded him of her. Any road, her parents didn’t seem to like her too much in her stories. Her mother had had a still birth before the twins, she’d named the baby Clare. My mother was named after her. Her twin sister Allison was the favoured child and every argument was blamed on my mum, and at school she was asked why she couldn’t be more like her sister, so she rebelled. She was beaten by her parents sometimes and always bullied by her sister and by her cousin. So that must have been traumatic for her. And I don’t hold anything against her. I’m just still not ready to talk to her yet since she thinks everything was a minor understanding and I’m coming back but I’m not. I moved to my dads and I’m staying here.

Would anyone like a playlist of songs about losing someone? Nice and comforting ones are really hard to find when you search songs about loss, but I know some really nice ones, so if anyone wants, I could share them. They’re good for a cry and help you feel less alone. So again, if anyone wants, I can share :)

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Annabelloola
1 hour ago, Annabelloola said:

My mother was awful. At times she could be the best thing since sliced bread but I think she has some form of mental illness that’s undiagnosed, since she refuses to get help. My therapist thinks she has bipolar disorder, and gone unmedicated that can be quite dangerous. She drove while drunk once and crashed her car. It was at night, I have no clue what she was doing or why she was out there but I think she might’ve just got in the car for a drive when we were asleep. When we noticed the car was gone she said she’d finally decided to throw it out since it had all sorts of problems anyway. She kept it from us that she’d crashed. She spent that year ‘looking for a new car’ but she said she couldn’t find a good enough one. I now know that her licence had been suspended for a year. She kept lots from us, and didn’t like us seeing our dad even though he wanted and tried to see us. I think she does have bipolar. It’s instability, high highs followed by low lows emotionally, and sudden impulses. Sometimes she could be amazing, the best mother ever, then in a second she could switch back and she’d be shouting at us and blaming her problems on us. She called me all sorts of things like dirty cow and bitch, and said I turned out this way because she allowed me to see my dad eventually. I think this got to my brother, he started the arguments and everything and was put in care and I think because of his ADHD and autism he couldn’t work out which side of our mother was her genuine side, since she seemed low more than she was high. She already had clinical depression she was taking medicine for, but it didn’t seem to work. A lot happened to my brother and I think she set it off, but I don’t hold it against her. Even though she’d deny it or block it out that’s the truth. But I don’t hold it against her. She had a very rough childhood, too. She told me loads of stories. Her mother was a nurse and her father was a piano tuner. She was born in 1962 with a non identical twin sister. Her father’s mother had had red hair but she ran off with the milkman, and my mum thinks that since she had red hair, (it’s gone pale/ white now) she reminded him of her. Any road, her parents didn’t seem to like her too much in her stories. Her mother had had a still birth before the twins, she’d named the baby Clare. My mother was named after her. Her twin sister Allison was the favoured child and every argument was blamed on my mum, and at school she was asked why she couldn’t be more like her sister, so she rebelled. She was beaten by her parents sometimes and always bullied by her sister and by her cousin. So that must have been traumatic for her. And I don’t hold anything against her. I’m just still not ready to talk to her yet since she thinks everything was a minor understanding and I’m coming back but I’m not. I moved to my dads and I’m staying here.

Would anyone like a playlist of songs about losing someone? Nice and comforting ones are really hard to find when you search songs about loss, but I know some really nice ones, so if anyone wants, I could share them. They’re good for a cry and help you feel less alone. So again, if anyone wants, I can share :)

Hi! So um... I made a playlist of songs for everyone. They’re not going to be to everyone’s tastes, but they’re mostly slow and melancholy, but comforting. It can be hard to find songs to listen and relate to that aren’t about breakups. All I want to listen to these days are sad songs because they share my mood, but I don’t want to listen to something about some random person in love with someone new, because that’s not what most of us here are looking for. There aren’t many songs about listing a sibling, but there are some that could be about any type of loss. I included these songs the most. I also included songs for the loss of a partner, friend, parent/ grandparent, so no matter who you’ve lost, this playlist should be as helpful as possible. I know it helps me to listen to music that reminds me of my brother, since sometimes I find it hard to cry, when I know I need to or it’ll build up. I use this music for grieving sessions to try as much as possible to keep my grief under control so I’m not crying at everything during the day. I hope these can help some of you, too. x 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Members
8 hours ago, tnd said:

Ainslie, I feel like I've lost my purpose too. Making my husband happy was my reason to get up in the morning. Now what? I will be moving in with my brother and his family and he said maybe my purpose now is just to be an aunt to my 2 teenaged nephews. Okay, I can look forward to that and be grateful that I won't be on the streets but this wasn't how this was suppose to go. So I am really questioning my faith in God right now too. My husband's faith was always stronger than mine and he believed God has a plan for each of us, whether we get to know what that plan is or not. I'd really like to know. But even so, it won't bring back my husband. I know I  need to cope and then move forward but it is already proving to be hard. That's why laughing over my broken eyeglasses and that stupid rubber tubing felt so weird. Hadn't laughed in a long time. It was very brief but was something. Even after I get new glasses I think I will keep these broken old ones. Just in case I need a laugh. I hope you muster up the strength to mow your yard. Maybe one section at a time. Just don't do it in the middle of the nite when you can't sleep. Neighbors probably get all over you for that. Same thing applies to early weekend mornings...good luck, girl. 

Tnd, I’m glad you have your brother and the kids. Hopefully once you move in they will give you support and comfort you need. My husband was a religious man as well. As  for me, my faith is being tested on so many levels. People say God only gives you what you can handle but seriously I can’t handle this much pain. I feel like I’m being tortured every day. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
56 minutes ago, Annabelloola said:

Hi! So um... I made a playlist of songs for everyone. They’re not going to be to everyone’s tastes, but they’re mostly slow and melancholy, but comforting. It can be hard to find songs to listen and relate to that aren’t about breakups. All I want to listen to these days are sad songs because they share my mood, but I don’t want to listen to something about some random person in love with someone new, because that’s not what most of us here are looking for. There aren’t many songs about listing a sibling, but there are some that could be about any type of loss. I included these songs the most. I also included songs for the loss of a partner, friend, parent/ grandparent, so no matter who you’ve lost, this playlist should be as helpful as possible. I know it helps me to listen to music that reminds me of my brother, since sometimes I find it hard to cry, when I know I need to or it’ll build up. I use this music for grieving sessions to try as much as possible to keep my grief under control so I’m not crying at everything during the day. I hope these can help some of you, too. x 

Annabelloola, I’m truly sorry for everything that you’re going through. Not having the love and support of a mother is hard in any situation but in times of grieving is truly hard. I’m glad you have your father for support. Thank you so much for the music playlist. I think I will give it a try today. 

• Like 2
  • Angel Wings 1

• Members

Allabelloola, 

Thanks for the playlist.  That is a lot of songs!  Haven't made it all the way through yet, but there have been quite a lot that I really like.  Most of them are new to me, as I am a lot older than you. But I really have enjoyed them. 

Thanks

Gail

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Annabelloola
22 minutes ago, Gail 8588 said:

Allabelloola, 

Thanks for the playlist.  That is a lot of songs!  Haven't made it all the way through yet, but there have been quite a lot that I really like.  Most of them are new to me, as I am a lot older than you. But I really have enjoyed them. 

Thanks

Gail

I’m happy you’re liking them. I hope they help.

Lots of hugs and support, 

Annabelle

• Moderators
14 hours ago, tnd said:

Making my husband happy was my reason to get up in the morning. Now what?

Exactly.  It took me years to see my "purpose" is to be here for each of you.  No it's not the same, nothing is.  I gave up comparing anything in life to what was.  I look for whatever good I can find.  Nothing is too small to count.  Last night it was my neighbors having me over for dinner & a movie in their A/C as it was 96 inside my house...we're having the hottest temperatures on record here (OR is not normally triple digits, let alone for so long)!  It's been insanely miserable but I lived through it.

Somehow we get through things when we can't see how and dread it.  

6 hours ago, Annabelloola said:

I use this music for grieving sessions to try as much as possible to keep my grief under control so I’m not crying at everything during the day. I hope these can help some of you, too. x 

I don't know how you did this, but thank you!  You're much more tech savvy than I am!  I've bookmarked and saved this!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
10 hours ago, Ainslie said:

People say God only gives you what you can handle but seriously I can’t handle this much pain. I feel like I’m being tortured every day. 

Ainslee:  That's what I've been told too. Over the years I've had some pretty major stuff happen and kept telling God that it was enough, I couldn't handle any more. Well, He seems to have piled it on ever since and has kept going by calling my husband home to Heaven, taking him from me. This is by far the worst. So I am still asking, no, BEGGING that He help me get through this pain until my own time has come. Have to admit, kind of hard praying for help from the one who decided it was my husband's time. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
20 hours ago, tnd said:

People say God only gives you what you can handle but seriously I can’t handle this much pain.

That is one of the scriptures most taken out of context...it actually says with God's help, in other words, He wants to go through it with us.  But I agree with you, if people could handle it why is there suicide?  I do know I couldn't have survived without God in my life, but that first year I couldn't feel Him when I prayed, I later learned it was because nothing could get through my filter of immense grief!  I know not to go by feelings (with my head) but sometimes we DO need to feel Him there, I've learned to go by faith but never has it been so tested as this!

15 hours ago, tnd said:
  15 hours ago, Ainslie said:

Everyone has something to say. “It will get easier “ but I really don’t see how when the love of my life no longer is here next to me.

And of course you can't see it right now.  Easier is a relative term, there's nothing easy about this!  But the pain will eventually lessen in intensity.  Our bodies are most amazing what they can survive, as I've learned.  I could not see it either and it took more time than I can say.  I look back and have no idea how I survived, that early times especially.

• Like 4

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Ainslie said:

there are a lot of strong people on this forum but one of them I am not.

NONE of us feel strong in this!

• Like 1

• Members
5 hours ago, KayC said:

Our bodies are most amazing what they can survive, as I've learned.  I could not see it either and it took more time than I can say.  I look back and have no idea how I survived, that early times especially.

KayC:  Your journey is one of endurance, faith and hope. We are fortunate to have you on here to share your experience and knowledge. It helps, even on days when I think nothing can. I want to cry and break down, I am so tired. Having a chronic illness doesn't help. But I come on here and through the tears I see some light. It's very very difficult so thank you for being here. Really! You are like a lifesaver!  

• Like 3

• Members

Ainslie... I'm sorry to hear you are struggling. My boyfriend essentially committed suicide by switching from alcohol to huffing dust off. They found 65 cans in his room. He too said he loved me, he wouldn't put me through another relapse, wanted to make me happy, and then this happened. He died last Thursday.

We talked of getting married and had our whole lives ahead of us. 

I've been going through so many emotions. Shouting at him one moment, pretending I can go into the past the next. I feel it took me a lifetime to find him... I'm 41... and like that he was ripped away. 

I only find solace in the realization that whether in a day or in 50 years, I'll die eventually. I always felt that way because for much of my life I didn't want to be here. He was the light in my life and I really don't know what my purpose is anymore. I don't have children. I too, am just a zombie. I fear death even less than I did before. After this, what is there to fear, really? Everything has already been taken away. What can you take away from someone who has essentially, lost everything?

I try to feel he's with me, and I talk to him. And, I believe he's waiting for me, along with his dog, my father, and my Grandma. And at some point my mother will join them. That's the only way I can cope. 

But you're not alone. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
15 hours ago, tnd said:

I want to cry and break down, I am so tired.

And it's okay to, I did plenty of that!  And you're right, having chronic illness only adds to it.

8 hours ago, Magda said:

After this, what is there to fear, really?

For sure!  Huffing is very dangerous, I'm surprised he lived through huffing so much as long as he did.  It doesn't sound like he committed suicide intentionally but his actions put him there regardless.  SO HARD for those who love him and are left behind.  I have a sister who commits what I call "passive suicide" by inaction, her not doing what she needs to do to LIVE.  It's very hard to watch.  I've talked to her about it, I understand where she's at, she lost her husband nine months ago, but she's been this way for many years.

9 hours ago, Magda said:

I try to feel he's with me, and I talk to him. And, I believe he's waiting for me, along with his dog, my father, and my Grandma. And at some point my mother will join them. That's the only way I can cope. 

Me too.  And I've always said, "If you know something different, don't tell me."  I need my faith and hope to survive.  It's one thing we humans need.:wub:

• Like 1

• Members
6 hours ago, KayC said:

I have a sister who commits what I call "passive suicide" by inaction, her not doing what she needs to do to LIVE. 

KayC:  If you don't mind me asking, is this the same sister with dementia that you've been helping? You have a very full plate...or overflowing. I think my husband was a little like your sister when his first wife passed. I didn't come into the picture until 3 years later. The first time he let me see his house I walked in and immediately knew "this man is grieving and grieving hard!" He had his late wife's young adult son living with him and yet, between the 2 of them they had not cleaned the place in 3 years. Three years!! It was so unhealthy and so heartbreaking. Do you suppose that was a form of passive suicide? I'm sure my husband probably felt like how I am feeling right now when he lost his first wife. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yes, same sister.  I drove 120 mile round trip to go get her and bring her home yesterday, had to wait two hours for them to get her oxygen, then when she got home the "oxygen guy" came and brought her more, held her up from having the dinner I'd made  her for two hours!  Then a neighbor came and held her up another two hours and the phone rang off the hook.  She didn't eat dinner until 10.  I wouldn't have answered the phone.

When I'm done here I'm taking Kodie (puppy) down to see her while I pay her bills and get her pills ready for the week, and take her a pot of homemade soup she can eat.

I imagine your husband did feel the same.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1