New Members - Check Your Spam/Junk Folder for Confirmation Email ×

Really struggling today

• Members

My moms sister and my grandmothers last child drank herself to death. All of my family on her side has died tragically and today that burden to carry is a lot. Sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Grieving.com

• Members
Valerie Lockhart

Dear Fon,

I'm sorry for your loss. Although I've never experienced the loss of a loved one due to drug or alcohol addiction, I worry about my brother passing away. He's been addicted to crack cocaine for over 30 years. However, you can break the cycle by remaining free of alcohol. A key to avoiding the dangers of alcohol abuse is knowing where to draw the line, not between overindulgence and drunkenness, but between moderation and overindulgence.  Any amount of alcohol that unduly impairs your judgment and dulls your thinking ability is too much for you personally. Decide what is an immoderate amount of alcohol for you, and set appropriate limits. Resolve not to exceed them; exercise self-control. Don't turn to alcohol to face any problems. Face the problem squarely. You may want to organize a family meeting to discuss the problem. Perhaps, others have not noticed that it is an ongoing family issue. If you have a problem with discussing the issue openly with family members, write a letter and pour out your heart, making them aware of your concerns. And, remember to pray to God for help to endure this problem. God will not allow you to undergo more than you can bear.  We are assured at 1 Corinthians 10:13: “No temptation has taken you except what is common to men. But God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear, but along with the temptation he will also make the way out in order for you to be able to endure it.” Remember, to stay strong. You've seen the effects of alcoholism firsthand, so this should deter you from drinking. And, don't forget to pray.