Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

What I Learned in Afterlife Seminar

Jeff In Denver

• Members
Jeff In Denver

I recently returned from a retreat in which the keynote speaker was Piero-Calvi Parisetti, MD.  He's a terrific guy; he's scientific and evidence-based  in his approach, a great speaker, a protege of Raymond Moody, and has studied the works of Kenneth Ring and David Fontana, among others.  He is a scholar and not a researcher.  Importantly, he has never experienced a major loss.  

Some of what I will write here is common knowledge among those of us familiar with this approach.  Even though I hear certain things about this a million times I like to hear them again.

1. The brain is not the mind.  It's only part of the mind.  It's more like a "receiver" or "transmitter" of our thoughts.
  2. Significant aspects of the human personality survive physical death.
  3. Our loved ones don't miss us because they are with us much of the time.
  4. There is an unfortunate and cruel paradox:  The more we want contact with someone who has crossed over, the harder it is for that to happen.
  5. Our loved ones have NOT vanished.
  6. When you have a thought about someone who has crossed over, that thought might actually be coming from them to you.
  7. There is a lot of evidence to support the notion that there is no "afterlife."  It's just life, and our time here is only a short detour.  Our real life is not what we experience here.  It's much more than that.
  8. We will be reunited with those we love.
  9. Those who experience (or even read about) NDEs don't fear dying.
  10. Those who believe that their loved ones are still with us do better, in general, with grief.

The University of Virginia School of Medicine has a Division of Perceptual Studies that is dedicated to this subject.  I think that lends some air of legitimacy to this subject.  

There is so much information out there.  I would suggest looking into Swedenborg's YouTube channel, as well as Dr. Parisetti's website and his YouTube videos.  If you have any comments I would love to hear from you.

If you are in this forum it's because you're interested in this subject.  The prospect that they are NOT gone is a very reassuring one.

• Like 4

• Members

Yes Jeff in Denver. I am very interested. I would like to ask you if your beliefs before and after the retreat are the same? How did it change you and your beliefs?

Since my husband died, I have researched, read, investigated the afterlife/NDEs etc for almost two years. It is essential to me to not just hope but to believe. I believe that I have had messages from Terry in the form of dreams, feathers, electrical issues but when it cuts to the quick is it wishful thinking on our part? No one could want to believe more than me. I can assure you of that but I am also a realist and don't want to be clasping at straws that are not there. Oh, how I wish that I could just "have the faith".

• Members
Jeff In Denver

Tlc.  I am sorry - I just saw this.  I am always a skeptic.  I wish I knew.  II think the seminar pushed me in that direction just a little more.   wish I had some kind of proof.  I really want to believe.  I know what you mean and we are on the same page.

I am posting an interesting video from a university that has a program for research into this area.  Please check above.

I am very sorry to hear about Terry.  I hope you receive more signs and that they are unmistakable and comforting.

• Members

I am interested in what you mean in your #4 point above: "There is an unfortunate and cruel paradox:  The more we want contact with someone who has crossed over, the harder it is for that to happen"...

can you explain why its is more difficult ? 

thank you for your insight, the retreat sounds amazing.

• Members

Thank you for sharing Jeff in Denver.

I have a hard time with my dad's passing and I'm still looking for answers. I struggle to believe my dad is still with us in some way.

I too wish there was more concrete evidence.

• Members

I too wish there were more evidence.  I have had signs and a lot of 'coincidences' but I am always wanting more.  I have lost both my parents this year and my grandmother.  I would love to know if my parents are together as they should be....it would really ease my pain. 

• Members

I very much believe this things are real. I lost both of my first love and my parents in the 80’s, a husband, a mother-in-law, two of my siblings and most recently my best friend/significant other. I have had things from all of these people happen to me. Dreams, rainbows, cardinals, items of theirs showing up in places that they weren’t before. You could say it’s a coincidence, or you can believe they are showing you they are with you. My loss is very fresh, but he has already reached out to me to let me know he loves me. And he has teamed up with my mother, who he never met. I have a musical clock that plays Christmas carols. It plays “Amazing Grace” at least 4 times a day since he has passed. It’s suppose to be a random thing. It was my mother’s favorite hymn. So those two are sending their love. So, yes I am a believer.

• Like 4

• Members
Jeff In Denver
On 12/23/2020 at 12:41 PM, Peony said:

I am interested in what you mean in your #4 point above: "There is an unfortunate and cruel paradox:  The more we want contact with someone who has crossed over, the harder it is for that to happen"...

can you explain why its is more difficult ? 

thank you for your insight, the retreat sounds amazing.

Peony, thanks for writing.  I appreciate what you said.  I don't recall exactly why they say that about the paradox, but I guess grief puts up a barrier of some kind.  It's cruel how that works.  

From what I understand, not only are your parents still together in a much better world, they are with you.

• Like 1

• Members

Thank you Jeff,  I watched the video...very interesting and made sense to me. I hadn't thought that our thoughts/feelings would be felt/experienced by our loved ones...it's a new perspective.  I have said to my younger brother that our parents wouldn't want us to be in tears all the time ... maybe that's the same thing.  So many helpful points in that video...the process of grieving "physically" as we are "broken and have lost part of us"...powerful and so true.   Grief is sometimes really overwhelming and can sweep me away with no warning some days.  Thanks again...I am going to look into buying the book mentioned 'hello from heaven'.

• Like 1

• Members

I watched a documentary and they suggested you ask your loved one for a specific sign.  That way you would know that they are with you.  Well I asked my husband to send me a sign of an Alfa Romeo convertible (not a red or black one but an unusual colour).  The very next day whilst watching TV a yellow Alfa Romeo convertible showed up!!  This is all the proof I need to know my husband is with me and all the previous signs I received were from him. 

• Like 2

• Members
Jeff In Denver

That sounds like a very good sign.  I forgot about asking for something specific.  Thanks for mentioning that - I will do that tonight.

• Like 1

• Members

I have absolutely no doubts at all that our loved ones remain close to us, guiding and protecting and still loving us, but from the other side.  I can hear them, I feel their presence and get their messages.  They so love it when we talk to them.... they hear us, they help us, give them as much info as possible when you are dealing with a challenge... trust that a marvelous outcome will happen, and they will help you and things will work out!  I know to many this sounds crazy and impossible, but it is true!  And yes, tell them specifically what sign you want, they try to get our attention, by flickering lights, turning on radios, sending a bird or butterfly, and if you are specific, like the person did with the alfa romeo car above, they will show you that they are with you.  Do not doubt, it is real!  They are not gone, their spirits are alive and well.  Have you watched Surviving Death on Netflix...it's a good series, explains a lot of this.

• Like 1