Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loving memories

MODArtemis2019

• Members
MODArtemis2019

I have a very hard time thinking of my husband and not feeling primarily sad, for everything he endured and we endured together. And for things I feel I could have done better. 

But I'm starting this post for the purpose of sharing happy memories that we have of our loved ones. This is a hard time of year for many of us. I tried to avoid holiday sadness by not participating but it didn't work. So I'm making the effort to recall good things we shared. 

Here's a small thing that meant a lot to me: We would email or text each other during work days. Yesterday I went back and read our emails from last year at this time. We talked about little things, like my plans for baking cookies and how he felt better after listening to humorous "The Santaland Diaries." We expressed love for each other in our shorthand ways. Reading this reminds me that we loved and cared for each other. He was a good husband and I was a good wife. 

I hope others will share their loving memories too. 

• Moderators

It's hard to put into words what we had...the way we could look at each other and know each other's thoughts.  The way we held hands and always sat together.  We loved spending time together and always made that priority.  I was married before, for 23 years, and it was never that way...being with George was different, he was the love of my life, I had something special with him that few ever experience.  We enjoyed music and drives and walks and cuddling on the couch to watch a movie together.  I loved cooking for him because he was easy to please and appreciated everything.  He loved working around the place to get things done with the hopes it'd give us more time to spend together.  We loved snuggling up together at night, it was the best place in the world to be.

• Members

When I started dating Randy, Christmas (well, everything really) for me changed.  Christmas Eve became my favorite day.  My kids and his, spent Christmas Eve with their other parents so it was just us.  We would wake up and do the few last minute little shopping things we had to do.  We would have lunch out, go to Christmas Service, drive through town and really look at all the lights and then sit cuddled on the couch watching a Christmas Story.  Simple but we spent it together, and that's what mattered most.   

• Members

I loved the way we could read each other's thoughts and if I thought something he would say it out loud.  The connection we had was incredible.  The universe couldn't keep us apart - our love story was like the movie "The adjustment bureau" - all these obstacles were put in our way so we wouldn't/couldn't be together but we were meant to be together.  I loved the way we didn't have to be doing anything but as long as we were in the same room together we were happy.  I loved the way he would make me laugh - he did that so well.  Even during stressful situations in the hospital he still could say something so witty that it dispelled the stress.  I will always love him and miss him.  In the Hindu religion when we get married, we walk around the fire 7 times.  This represents the souls will be joined for seven lifetimes.  I like the thought of that, it gives me hope and peace.

• Members
MODArtemis2019

"I loved the way we didn't have to be doing anything but as long as we were in the same room together we were happy."

I remember when I first noticed this. We'd be sitting at the kitchen table; maybe we had been talking, or reading the paper, or looking out the window at the birds. But now we were just sitting there. At peace, at ease, doing nothing together. And perfectly content. It was special to us both. Not something I've had before or since. 

• Members
On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:41 PM, Heart&Soul said:

I loved the way we could read each other's thoughts and if I thought something he would say it out loud

Sometimes I would just be looking at him and without my saying a word, he would say, "I love you too."  Yes, true love is not an explosion, it is a quiet contentment that cannot be explained.  Just being in the same room with that person gives you every single thing you need, without saying a word. 

• Members

We would play hooky from work sometimes and we would go to the beach, on a hike, or to the movies. I also miss taking naps on the recliner right beside his hospital bed at the hospital, waking up due to him covering me with my blanket, or him rubbing my back, or the time his nurse came in and he hushed her because I was sleeping. Also the endless episodes of Price is Right, Let’s make a Deal, Family Feud and Huell Howser that we would watch together at the hospital. I miss the anxious feeling I would get on my way to see him, after I’d been at work all day, wanting to see his face light up when I’d walk through our front door or thru his hospital room door. I could go on and on. I miss him all the time.

• Members
On 12/28/2019 at 10:51 PM, Jttalways said:

I miss the anxious feeling I would get on my way to see him, after I’d been at work all day, wanting to see his face light up when I’d walk through our front door or thru his hospital room door.

It's truly a blessing to have someone love you that much and for you to love them that much also.  I know people who have never experienced true unconditional love like this and I only pray that they find it one day too.

Archived