Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Dreams of my dad.....

Gail SB.

• Members

This month (Sept) will be nine months since my father passed away. I have had several dreams about him since he passed away. The majority of my dreams I am having a conversation with him about how he died. I would tell him that his arteries were clogged, and because of that his heart stopped. I remember in my dreams I would say "Dad, you had a heart attack and that is how you died." I'm curious to know does anyone else have similar dreams where you tell your parent(s) how they passed away? My dad was on life support for about five days before we had to let him go. He was unconscious, so I never got to tell him how much I loved him. Everyone would say that he knows and that he can hear me saying goodbye, but I still wanted him to at least be awake one last time. Perhaps, that is why I have these reoccurring dreams. Thanks for reading my post! 

• Members

Dear Gail,

I think our dreams are trying to help us work through our grief.

My dreams were more about me trying to save my dad. I had terrible guilt about his care and in my dreams, I finally convince him to take his pills and he survives. That has been my recurring dream.

When I visit my dad at the cemetery, I keep telling him how sorry I am and how much I wish he was still with us.

Sorry for all your pain and sorrow. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

• Members

I dream about my dad too...very strange dreams. 

One is my dad came to my dream as a teen ager, and was study/ reading book on a desk. I call him out but he did not hear me or he ignored me.

Another dream...At my dad's final days, he was quite weak and couldn't move up while laying on be, he kept slipping downward., and I kept trying to hold him up and move him up.  But he was heavy.  I was frustrated. The scene came to my dream, and I felt my deep frustration again, and adding deep sadness.

Another dream, a small group of people all wearing black standing around a coffin.  They wanted me to conduct a memorial service for them, but I was traveling overseas at the time, I told them I am not in the U.S., so they buried the coffin without a memorial service.

My dad was conscious during his final day.  We had a proper farewell, and we exchanged last words.

• Members

Hi Kevin,

I also had a dream of my Dad as a teenager. He was walking with two of his friends and as they were walking I remember I was standing near them. As they were walking away my Dad looked me straight in the eye and smiled. Pure silence, but he looked happy. You're lucky that you were able to say goodbye, a lot of us on this site didn't get that chance. :(

Archived