Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Grief seems to be getting worse, not better

Crystal1984

• Members

I lost my mom a little over 5 months ago.  She had just turned 90.  She was my mom, best friend, really my life.  She lived with me the last 9 years, and we were so close.  My mom was the best.  She was so kind and gracious and appreciated everything anyone did for her.  I cannot remember a time I didn't worry about losing my mom.  Not sure if this was due to her being 37 when I was born or not.  My mom was a strong Christian so I am confident she is in Heaven, but I can't seem to begin to move on.  People tell me to think of how old she was, and how long I had.  I do and am grateful for every day we had together, but that is not a lot of comfort now.  If anything the past couple of weeks have been harder than earlier in my grieving, not that there has been an easy time since she passed.  I pray and try to go on with life, but I feel just like I am going through the motions.

• Members

Dear Crystal,

My deepest sympathies and condolences. I am very sorry for your loss. Please know your feelings are normal. You are still very early in your grief and because you lived with your mom for the last 9 years and saw her every day, it does make it harder. The website Aging Care has many women and men that are in their 50s, 60s and 70s that are caring for elderly parents and understand the loss.

Be kind and gentle with yourself. The first 18 months of grief can be very raw. I found myself feeling a little better at the 2 year mark but even at 3 years there are days when I am feeling down about the loss.

If you want to consider grief counselling or joining a support group at church or in the community.

Please you know you are not alone and we are with you.

Archived