Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Unexpected Death of Cat

RyanR

• Members

My beautiful cat just died unexpectedly. The day before it happened she was playing with me, happy and i brought her to bed like i do every day.                                                                                The next morning there was blood everywhere and she was lying still on the ground. I rushed her to the vet where she was given into intensive care.

1 hour later i got a call she died from a collapsed lung.

She was only 9 years old and a happy cat. She kept me from suicide and always was a constant in my life, giving me joy and a reason for living.                                                                                   The worst part is that we had plans for her, we prepare so much for her christmas present. Now all those dreams got shattered in 6 hours.

Now that she is dead i only feel empty and a constant pain where my heart is. I tried sleeping it over but then i got a nightmare that she was still alive in her grave and i just want to dig it up and hold her in my hands again even though i know that she is long gone and dead. Im still in denial that she is dead since she really was the only thing keeping me alive and happy. Now i just feel empty.

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss @RyanR, it must have been terrible for you the way it happened so suddenly and when you had no clue as to her (what’s her name, please?) condition and when you found out about it, there was very little that could be done for her. Cats are known for being very resilient and for holding on, it is indeed difficult to identify symptoms. We read them as being all right until they are (suddenly) not. I used to say that my cats saved my life every day. I understand what you mean by your beloved cat giving you joy and an excellent reason for living. Actually, cats are teachers and once your devastating pain subsides a bit (it will) you will realise what a good student you were because her teachings will remain with you. You cannot unlearn them. We go on loving them much the same, you will soon see. I know the despair, the denial and the excruciating pain. There is no other way but going through it. You may feel empty now, but you are not. Nobody who has known such love is.

• Moderators

I am so sorry!  It's so hard to lose them, they're our family members, our companions, and when they're gone it's the emptiest feeling in the world.  Nine does seem young to lose her so suddenly.  You don't know what happened, why the blood, did something attack her?  It's hard when you have no answers.

Beatriz is right, we learn from them and take that with us.  I know grief all too well and have come to realize it's part of the cycle of life, but it sure doesn't get any easier when it hits.

• Members

I am so sorry to read this about your sweet kitty. I lost my cat very suddenly as well - it's terribly hard when you know the end is near, but this is just shocking. I hope you are doing okay - I know how incredibly sad you must be and my heart goes out to you. 

• Members

I am so sorry,i know how hard it is....i lost my beloved cat in a similar way and he was also young,6 years old..we couldn't tell he was ill until he stopped eating...i know you tell your self Why?and you can't find a rational reason why and it's driving you crazy...these events where we can't find any logical explanation are the ones that mess our mind and our heart the most,cause they are also unfair.The one thing that will relief your pain is thinking that you gave love to your cat,who was meant to die unexpectedly for reasons we don't know...she was lucky to have you to love her.

• Members

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I have just experienced the shock and excruciating pain of an unexplainable, unexpected loss of my dear cat. I completely understand the comfort and happiness she brought. When I've been at my lowest points of grief over my own precious little girl, I imagine how she would have responded to that sadness had she been alive. She would have protected me from it and done her best to comfort me and make me feel better. I'm sure your little one would have done the same. She never would have wanted to see you so sad. <3

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss. When I lost my girl I experienced the same feelings of emptiness, she had also been there with me through some very difficult times. I know it doesn't seem like it now, but it does gradually get easier. You will still miss her terribly and have some bad days (I still do), but you will start to focus more on the happier times you had with her. I really hope you are doing okay and that posting here helps you through this time.

• Moderators

It's true, in the beginning all memories bring pain and tears, but then eventually they bring a smile.  It takes time to process our grief before we can get there.

Archived