Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My boyfriend caused my babies death

Sam_pistole

• Members

My dogs name was Winter and she was 6 years old Dachshund . I got her when she was 3 months and we’ve been attached to the hip ever since. I left her at my boyfriends house 2 nights ago for the first time and in less then 24 hours he took her away from me. She mad a terrible mistake and pooped on his bed. He put her on a window seal as punishment inside the house which I’ve seen him do before and I told him not to because she would jump. This time I wasn’t there to save her and she jumped and cracked her head on the marble floor. I wanted to leave her for a night to form the same bond I had with her but that wasn’t the case. I don’t know how I can forgive myself for leaving her there with him. I should of simply took her back with me. I feel terrible and haven’t been able to stop crying. I just want my baby back.

81D7B32C-3231-4FBA-B776-F3ECD8CA5976.jpeg

• Members

Oh my gosh I am so so sorry. I can only imagine the shock and pain you are in as this should not have happened. You found the right place to let out your thoughts and emotions as I am not sure how much you are able to deal with your boyfriend at the moment. I hope you are doing okay. 

• Members

How absolutely awful and sorry but that was unforgiveable of your boyfriend when you had already told him she might jump.  I know your pain and guilt as I have felt the same when my little dog died but the guilt should be all his.  I am sure he didn't realise this would happen though and  that by watching you suffer he is too.  Accidents do happen that are out if our control unfortunately.  What a sweet little dog, she looks gorgeous and I cried when I read this. Poor poor baby.  This is going to be a tough ride but you will get through.  My Kelly died on 19 June and the pain is not so raw but I have a cloud of sadness with me as I still miss her so much. You will get through this and do what you have to do to get through the pain. Cry, scream let it out.  I hope you have read other stories on this forum so you know your not alone in this. God bless you and I will be thinking of you.

• Members
6 hours ago, AJWCat said:

Oh my gosh I am so so sorry. I can only imagine the shock and pain you are in as this should not have happened. You found the right place to let out your thoughts and emotions as I am not sure how much you are able to deal with your boyfriend at the moment. I hope you are doing okay. 

Thank you... I can’t talk to my boyfriend it was a preventable situation that shouldn’t have happened.. I feel so much guilt because I know she hated for me to leave her.. today I got her cremated. I see people walking there dogs everywhere I look and everywhere I lay to sleep she’s supposed to be here... she had so much more life to live... ands it’s hard living without her

785E3CFB-EA4B-44D3-B741-BD5354EE1DD1.jpeg

• Moderators

I am so sorry.  What he did was abuse and a HUGE RED FLAG!  What would he do to children for punishment?!  

You are going through so much, grief, feelings guilt, your feelings towards him, so much loss.  It will take time to get through this, meanwhile I hope you continue to come here and post, we want to be here for you.  Your little girl is so beautiful, I can imagine your loss.  

Winter is safe and at peace now, she knows you love her, you will be with her again someday when it is your time.  I hope this brings you some consolation for your broken heart.  :(

I hope you'll read these articles, they put into words what I know to be true:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf
http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml

• Members
On 9/20/2018 at 12:11 PM, Sam_pistole said:

She

There were signs and I should of known... I left her in the environment

• Members

Sam_pistole there may have been warning signs but you must remember this is not your fault.  I can almost hear you thinking if only I didn't put her with him. If only this or that.  It won't change anything to put yourself through that.  I had warning signs when my little dog Kelly was injured with the dog minder, but we want to believe the best of people. This is going to be a painful time for you so please read other stories on this forum and know your not alone.  You are not to blame, the guilt belongs to your boyfriend.  Thinking of you.

• Members

I am sorry for your loss. It is heartbreaking. Even though there may have been warning signs, this wasn't your fault. I agree with what Jack Russell said, the guilt belongs to your boyfriend, not to you. I really hope you're doing okay.

• Moderators

They are right, you couldn't have known he would do what he did.  Try not to be so hard on yourself, this is on him, not you!  Did you read the articles I gave you the links to?  Read them again!

• Moderators

I know, it's so hard.  It's going to take much time for the pain to subside and even then you'll continue to miss her.  Sending you hugs and a wish for peace.

Archived