Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Is life worth living?

Cas

• Members

A month ago, I was told that my dad is suspected of cancer. A week ago, the doctor said my dad has 2 years or so to live. Yesterday, I was told that my dad has 6 months or less. I tried so hard to not to cry but I did anyway, in front of the doctor and his medical team. I asked him if there is a way that my dad can go home to his home country so he can spend his last days in a place familiar to him, and he said "Even in the best of circumstances, unfortunately, he can't". I felt awful. I haven't seen my dad for years. I petitioned him to be with me and my family. He came to the US three months ago. I was very excited and I couldn't ask for more. I've been used to hardship since I was a kid. I had to work hard for everything. And this year, I felt like everything is going great. So when my dad was approved to immigrate, I couldn't ask for more. But I felt like, my life is too good to be true. I was right. The happiness was just temporary. After few months of feeling happy and contented, I was told this news and I am devastated. I asked my husband, do you think life is worth living? Are the simple joys that we feel every now and then worth it? Does the joy of living surpassed the grief and sadness and hurt that we have to go through? I mean, why are we living? What's the point? I am very mad and just don't understand. My dad is only 56. And it just so hard to let go. I am afraid of that one morning when I wake up and he is gone. I have very few loved ones. And he is the first to go. I am already scared of the next one. How do I live with my life when I fear death every day? Will I be able to feel joy again? If life is so painful, is it worth it?

• Members
Lottie_Lulu

I think that when we have to face death right in the face like that it does make us question ourselves, and the point of existing. There isn't an answer to it, some people will believe it's God's work to keep going, others will have different spiritual reasons. But we'll never get a proper scientific answer as to why we are actually here. But since we are here we can either enjoy the time we have, or spend the rest of the time in turmoil. There will be lots of contrasts between the good and the bad stuff, but that's what makes life what it is. The fear of death will go away. The stress of your dad will make you think about things differently, but that's all OK. Of course it's hard to let go, he is very young, and it's a horrible position to be in. I can't say anything to make that better. But there is support out there, on this forum and within your family, and you can let people take some of the stress and grief for you. 

x

Archived