Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Heartbroken

Lauren2412

• Members

It's been 9 days since my cat Charlie was ripped away from me, and I still can't figure out how to get past it.

He was 2 and a half years old and was a ginger long hair. I got him in 2012 and never knew it was possible to feel so much love towards an animal. I've had cats before that have died of old age, but nothing compares to this.

On 13th July at 8:15pm we let him out for his usual toilet trip, it was raining at the time and we were always cautious about letting him out the front door rather than the back.

I looked out the window and noticed he was no longer on the wall so I got up to let him in, what I saw when I opened the door will stay with me forever. He was laying in the middle of the road, with blood pouring out of his nose, dead.

I began screaming and scooped him up, somebody literally ran him over and then drove off, leaving him in the pouring rain, it must have happened around a minute before I went out, as I'd only checked out the window 3 minutes prior.

We drove him to the vets and paid the fee for him to be cremated, it felt disgusting leaving him in the vets, although I knew he was gone I didn't like the idea of him being in a cold dark room by himself all night.

I have great memories with him, he had a huge personality and was very loving, but at the moment none of that is erasing the image of his bloodied little face out of my mind.

At first I felt numb asif nothing had happened, the realisation came in waves, asif I was living a real life nightmare, but now a week later, although I have accepted what happened, I feel greatly depressed asif life from now onwards is completely pointless.

Any advice or words in general from people who have been through a similar event would be appreciated.

• Members

I am so very sorry. I have lost several fur babies over the years, and it never gets easy. I had a beloved new kitten (Skit) who I was going to take to the vet to get fixed. When I was opening the door to go outside, he slipped out and we couldn't find him; we joked about how he ran off because he didn't want to go to the vet. We didn't think anything of it. A little while later, the kids and I were out looking for him, when my neighbor across the way stopped me in the street and said, "Are you looking for a cat? A tabby cat?" I said, "Yes." She then coldly and rudely in front of my kids said, "Well, it's over there dead in my yard. Can you come get it out of my way?" 

My kids were horrified and tried to run over there, but my husband, who was in the garage, blocked them and grabbed a towel sitting in the garage. I was so very mad at that woman. She could have been kinder and more respectful, and she could have been discreet because of the kids. For years, I thought she ran over him! 

You will find new meaning in life eventually. For now, just cry and mourn. In time, things will get better; it's just going to take while. 

We will be here for you,

ModKonnie

• Members

Modkonnie, that is absolutely disgusting, what a horrible woman! I have found that some people have no sympathy whatsoever when it comes to cats simply because they aren't cat people. I think I would have murdered my neighbour if they'd have said that to me. So sorry for your loss, and your poor children. Thankyou for your story and kind word, it's nice to know I'm not alone.

• Members

I think you are right about that! If it had been a dog, she probably would have had more sympathy, but for some reason, lots of people look down on cats as "less than" other pets. 

Believe me, we had tremendous problems over the years with that one nieghbor--including her complaining about the dandelions in my yard! She finally retired and moved back to wherever the witch came from. :)

I realize it's just simply way too soon to even contemplate another fur baby, but I do want to say that after the death of my first cat, I never thought I'd ever be able to love another one like her. I was totally wrong. In fact, I have loved over the years several wonderful fur babies. I have a 12-year-old cat now that is aging rapidly, and I fear she will not make another winter. We just lost her brother two years ago (and that was a terribly hard loss). 

I find rescuing kittens from the humane society is emotionally healing. I feel as though when I lose a pet but rescue another, the lost pet is cheering me on. (I know that sounds crazy, but, well, that's how I feel) :)

ModKonnie

• Members

Haha the dandelions bit made me laugh!! What a mentalist, she's probably the same evil woman who ran Charlie over! See I'm in a bit of a pickle with my living situation at the moment. Charlie was brought home at 8 weeks old in 2012, a year later me and my partner moved to a different city due to work, I had grown incredibly attached to him and was absolutely gutted when I had to move away,leaving him in my parents house. He loved it there right up until last week, he made friends with all the cats in the street and knew the area like the back of his paw! I was home most weekends regardless so he still felt like my baby regardless. If I could have taken him to my new home I would have, but we live in a high rise apartment that doesn't allow pets, hence why I'm unable to get another cat at the moment. When I buy a house within the next 2 years I will definitely get another one but for now all I'm left with is the fact that Charlie is gone :-(

• Members

Awww. I completely get how awful that must feel. I can only say it will get better. The poor little thing at least had a great life with your parents wandering around free and easy. 

Got any pictures? 

• Members

I do but it won't let me upload them on my phone, I will put some up from the laptop this evening :)

• Members

I'm sorry your kitty passed like that. About 12 years ago the sweetest tabby kitten showed up at my door and in the end, adopted us. One morning, 6ish months after we got her, a woman came to the door and asked if we had a tabby, I said yes, and she said she was sorry, but it was in the road. I screamed for my mom and ran out and found her dead in a pool of blood. That image has stayed with me forever. Now she's buried in my back yard. I don't really have any words of wisdom or advice, but sometimes it's nice to know that you're not alone in your pain.

• Members

Hi CalliCat45, thankyou for your response. It does definitely ease the pain a little hearing about other situations, like I said in the post, I've lost cats through euthanisation but never to such an extreme and unexpected event like this. Sorry to hear about your tabby :-( I have the same problem forgetting Charlie laying in blood. He was such a sweet innocent thing, I never thought I'd have to see him in that way.

Archived