Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

lost my younger sister to leukemia in Sept and I cannot get past the sadness

mbwilliams62

• Members

My younger sister died on Sept 17, 2014 as a result of leukemia, we were best friends, always talked on a daily basis, did everything together, she is like a mother to my kids and I am like a mother to hers also. I am so sad and depressed I don't know how to go on. some days I can't even get out of bed to go to work. I miss her so much and I don't know how to deal with these feelings. She was sick for almost 3 years, once had a bone marrow transplant that was successful but then this past March the leukemia came back and no treatments would help her. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do? She left behind a very caring husband and 3 children ages 21, 18 and 14.

• Members

MBWilliams62,

I am so very sorry for your loss of your beloved sister. It sounds as though you have a wonderful friendship and relationship. You get through just a little each day. Don't think about long term; just get through day by day. The very best way to heal is to talk about your feelings. Talk about your sister, your relationship and how you feel. Do you have a supportive family? Is there anyone who you can talk with? If not, then consider joining a depression or emotional support group; many people who are grieving join these or grief support groups. Even a professional counselor may be someone you can talk to.

Another thing many people find healing is to write a letter to their lost loved one. Tell your sister everything you'd like to tell her. It will help. Some people write more than one letter--it's all about how you feel.

I will be thinking of you,

ModKonnie

Archived