Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Funny(?) video to share

backyarder1

• Members

LOL--- I like the one where the guy smiled and said " So your single"--------------------------  But honestly, what does someone say to a person that lost their wife/ husband? I haven't  heard anyone say anything that was mean or hateful, maybe things that  bring back the memory of the pain, but it is not what they were trying to do, and if someone don't  say anything to you, it like they really don't care. But in fact they don't want to say anything wrong,that would hurt you. It is one of those things where you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

My cousin died about 15yrs ago, he was about 10 yrs older then I and lived in another state, so I don't remember ever seeing him more than once or twice. I went with my father to my uncle's house and he came to meet us, and he had tears in his eyes, he reached out and grab my hands and tears came to my eyes, I looked at him and said " I don't know what to say". He looked at me and smiled and said, "There is nothing to say, you being here say it all".

• Members

Traveler, sometimes I think that is the best thing to say. Just "I don't know what to say". Someone called me yesterday and told me that someone had passed away and I found myself stumbling over my words, even though I expect everyone else to know exactly what to say to me.

so you are right. There really never is any right thing to say.

• Members

Thanks backyarder for posting this. I am not a widow but i lost my boyfriend and feel so heartbroken and watching this video made me feel that i am not alone listening to some nonsense people say.

I know they mean well but I can't handle it that much.

Archived