Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

A modern grief observed

thefemaleparadox

• Members
thefemaleparadox

Hiya everyone,

Am a 24 year old uni student... lost my mum 1.5 years ago to neuroendocrine cancer. She was diagnosed in Jan. 2009 while I was studying in Dublin, Ireland (I flew back home for 2 weeks after her surgery). I then returned to Dublin to complete my first undergraduate year until Summer 2009 when I returned to my home country of Malaysia for an indefinite period of time. She died in March 2010, thirteen and a half months after the initial diagnosis. This event has had a significant impact on my life as my mother was my Family (yes, with a capital F as I feel I've lost my Family as a result.. she was the thread that binded us all together), and I was close to her growing up. We had an estranged relationship with my father, so it was my mother who raised me and my 2 older brothers.

It was a terrible thing to lose her and, until today, I still find myself 'reorientating' to a new world; one without my mother. It feels so much colder, emptier. She was the person I loved most in the world and one who loved me immensely in return, and it was a terribly painful reality to have to accept, having been the bearer of Hope throughout her sickness. I've started a blog to record my thoughts on grieving and bereavement, esp. in today's modern world where grieving is a terribly lonely process. Please support it at;

http://amoderngriefo...ed.blogspot.com

Am happy to hear others thoughts' on topics written about - Always good to know that there's an element of universalism to grieving, though it is, on it own, unique to each individual.

Hope you're all keeping ok.

• Guests
Guest DarkHeart

Hiya everyone,

Am a 24 year old uni student... lost my mum 1.5 years ago to neuroendocrine cancer. She was diagnosed in Jan. 2009 while I was studying in Dublin, Ireland (I flew back home for 2 weeks after her surgery). I then returned to Dublin to complete my first undergraduate year until Summer 2009 when I returned to my home country of Malaysia for an indefinite period of time. She died in March 2010, thirteen and a half months after the initial diagnosis. This event has had a significant impact on my life as my mother was my Family (yes, with a capital F as I feel I've lost my Family as a result.. she was the thread that binded us all together), and I was close to her growing up. We had an estranged relationship with my father, so it was my mother who raised me and my 2 older brothers.

It was a terrible thing to lose her and, until today, I still find myself 'reorientating' to a new world; one without my mother. It feels so much colder, emptier. She was the person I loved most in the world and one who loved me immensely in return, and it was a terribly painful reality to have to accept, having been the bearer of Hope throughout her sickness. I've started a blog to record my thoughts on grieving and bereavement, esp. in today's modern world where grieving is a terribly lonely process. Please support it at;

Am happy to hear others thoughts' on topics written about - Always good to know that there's an element of universalism to grieving, though it is, on it own, unique to each individual.

Hi there, I wanted to say that I agree with you in the opinion that modern grieving is a terribly lonely process indeed. I suppose the advent of the Internet has lessened this void to an extent, so that's a good thing. Even moreso, it allows for individuals to learn of other people's cultural and spiritual journeys through the grieving process, and that has to be a good thing ~ even if it simply helps each one of us to feel that we aren't alone. I hope you are doing well. Take care ~

• Members

I know exactly what your going through. i lost my mom 3 weeks ago to complications of pneumonia. She was wonderful and gave me everything. She loved me so much and life certainly does seem emptier and colder just like you said. I feel like i have lost my purpose.

I am doing a masters online and had come back from calif to nj to be with her. She died in a nursing home and they did not take very good care of her. I should have kept her home. I hope i can get through the holidays without her.

She was so warm and loving from scotland. We were going to go to florida. Now i don't know what to do with myself. I cry a couple of times a day.

Lord have mercy.

Debbie

Hiya everyone,

Archived