Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I miss my daddy.

Brii

• Members

On March 30, 2011, my daddy died. I was 15 when it happened, and I'm 16 now. He never got to see me at 16....we were so close. I was daddy's little girl. I mean me and my daddy were literally inseparable. Then 2 years ago he got sick, and ever since he'd been dependent on me and my brother to completely take care of him. i got really fed up and i started being really snobby and short with him. Our relationship was fading. He would still call me things like "sweetheart" and "darling", and he was always so kind to me, no matter how i acted towards him. Then 5 days before he died we got in a huge fight. The last thing i ever said to him was "sure" in a mean tone. I miss him so, so much, and the guilt is eating me alive. I don't know what to do.

• Members

On March 30, 2011, my daddy died. I was 15 when it happened, and I'm 16 now. He never got to see me at 16....we were so close. I was daddy's little girl. I mean me and my daddy were literally inseparable. Then 2 years ago he got sick, and ever since he'd been dependent on me and my brother to completely take care of him. i got really fed up and i started being really snobby and short with him. Our relationship was fading. He would still call me things like "sweetheart" and "darling", and he was always so kind to me, no matter how i acted towards him. Then 5 days before he died we got in a huge fight. The last thing i ever said to him was "sure" in a mean tone. I miss him so, so much, and the guilt is eating me alive. I don't know what to do.

Brii,

Feeling guilty, getting angry when stress overwhelms us, and having problems in a relationship are perfectly normal. Your dad understood what you were going through. He loved you; when my kids says mean things to me, I shrug them off. I know they love me.

You are very young to have to deal with this, particularly taking care of a very ill person. You did the best you could, and you should be proud of yourself for helping. Try to stop thinking about those last words; he probably realized you would calm down and things would be okay. Dads love their daughters unconditionally. They know their daughters, particularly when they are young, are emotional and often say things in mean tones.

Do you have other family? Do you have a counselor at your school? Can you talk to anyone about this? If not, we will be here to help you. Come back and often as you'd like.

ModKonnie

• Members
EulogyAdvisor

Oh, sweetie, it's okay. It may not feel like that this minute, but it is. Sometimes we are at our angriest when we are most afraid. I'm willing to bet that your Daddy loved you and knew you so well that he understood how afraid you were, how tired of the situation you were, and how emotionally exhausted you were. Sometimes people who are dying develop unusual personal strength (my daughter did). They are able to see things that we who are taking care of them can't or aren't able to see.

Your Daddy loved you until his last minute on earth, and beyond. I'll be honest. I don't know what "beyond" means, but the fact that we have a word for it means that it exists somehow.

I agree with ModKonnie. If you have someone to talk to, you should. If not, come back whenever you can.

Once loved, always loved ...

Fran

Archived