Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Losing my mom at 19- feeling lost

Katieperry01

• Members

My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 triple negative breast surgery in April after finding a lump in her breast. Did chemotherapy and had a double mastectomy and a preventative hysterectomy because she has the BRCA1 gene (I also have it which scares me even more) then we found out the cancer spread to her brain and they can’t do anything else for her. It’s terminal at this point and she lives in a wheelchair after losing control of her legs. She cries often and it’s so awful to watch her go through. My mom is my best friend and I feel so lost watching her waste away this way. She is only 49. I’m 19 and I’m getting married in June of 2019 and it breaks my heart to know she won’t be apart of my wedding and watch my kids grow up..my fiancé is deployed in Kuwait right now and he isn’t here to help me go through this and I’m just depressed.. any kind words will help. Nobody ever thinks this will happen to them..

• Members

Dear Katie,

Sending you love and hugs. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. I know its an extremely painful time and you are doing your best to support your mom. No one wants to see their parents suffer. Its really hard.  Please know we are all here to listen and support you in anyway we can. I hope friends and family members are doing their best to help you and your mom.

Thinking of you and your mom. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

• Members

Dear Katieperry01,

I am so sorry you have this devastating news that changes your life.  It is life changing.  What you're going through now is devastating watching your mother suffer and what you will go through after will be more devastation.  I wish I could offer you something meaningful that will help you but having watch my own mother suffer illness and then die, I know what its like and the pain.  All I can say is we are here and reading your words and care.  I'm so sorry for you and I very much hope you have a close friend you can lean on.  

• Members

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through at such a tender young age. I'm in my 30s and losing my mom and feel like I'm way too young to be dealing with this. This is not the way life is supposed to be and I feel a little jealous when I talk to people with healthy parents and normal family life. I don't have any advice but I know what you're going through and hope this forum can give us both some support. 

Archived