Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Overcame an obstacle

cp9042

• Members

On Thursday I overcame an obstacle that was plaguing me since my husband died in February.  I needed to get some of my husband's records from his oncologist for life insurance purposes, and had put it off because I just couldn't go in there.  I finally did on Thursday, after getting a major panic attack.  I talked myself through it, and went in.  They were very nice, and helped me with everything I needed.

I think when we put obstacles in our way, or imagine them to be there, it is our way of dealing with, or not dealing with our grief.  What do you think?

• Moderators

Some things are such a trigger it's hard to face it, but sometimes we have to push through, trigger or no.  This was one of those things, you needed the records because to not have them hinders what you need to get taken care of.  Other triggers we can take our time with facing because they are less essential.  Like one I had was going to the grocery store, but I could get someone else to go for me...still I needed to face it eventually and I did.  Now I can do it without a problem, but in the beginning, it was awful.

• Members
2 hours ago, cp9042 said:

On Thursday I overcame an obstacle that was plaguing me since my husband died in February.  I needed to get some of my husband's records from his oncologist for life insurance purposes, and had put it off because I just couldn't go in there.  I finally did on Thursday, after getting a major panic attack.  I talked myself through it, and went in.  They were very nice, and helped me with everything I needed.

I think when we put obstacles in our way, or imagine them to be there, it is our way of dealing with, or not dealing with our grief.  What do you think?

Good for you - be proud of yourself.  I think if we believe in ourselves and all that we are, there is something inside us that is greater than an obstacle. The greater the obstacle, the more glory we experience in overcoming it. 

• Members

cp9042, Proud of you for overcoming what you didn't want to do. Depending on the obstacle or trigger, going in for your husband's records had an end goal. You needed them to complete something for your husband. In my beginning couple of months, I only took care of priorities. I didn't want to, but I went with the strong feelings that I was still able to do things for my husband.

Archived