Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

This hurts too much

alwaysG

• Members

I lost my best friend in the whole world less than 48 hours ago.  He was 14 years old and had been dealing with bad arthritis, but he never lost his spirit.  He collapsed late Saturday night from a stroke.  He couldn't sit up anymore so we had to help him the only way we could.  The vet came around midnight and we said goodbye to him.

I've lost pets before, and while those tore me apart, this feels like a new level of pain.  He was my soulmate and saw me through some of the most difficult times in my life.  So how do I get through this without him?  Everything I do and see reminds me of him.  I keep looking in the places he would lay, staring at his food bowl, and thinking about our daily routine.  I bought him a new bag of treats just hours before he left.  My life revolved around him for the last 14 years and now that's just gone.   It keeps hitting me over and over again and I cry, but it never relieves this heavy aching feeling in my chest.  My heart is broken not only for me but my surviving dog as well.  They did everything together and loved one another so much.  The vet gave her a chance to say goodbye before she took him.   I've been trying to give her as much love as I can, but I know she's missing him badly.  She licks the wall and carpet where he would lay and she tries to lay in his bed, but gets up and goes back to hers after a few minutes.  I don't know what to do.  My heart keeps breaking over and over for her and I both.                                                                                                            

• Members

First let me say I'm so sorry!  I too feel your pain. Your story reminds me of my own.  My cat left me just over 48 hours ago.  I've had him since 6 weeks old, right from his mother.  He just turned 13 on March 22.  Back in February we noticed him scratching at his ear quite a lot.  He had a spot of what we all thought was irritation from his scratching at that area.  It turned out it was a growth that grew quite large in a matter of 2 weeks. He already had surgery scheduled. Surgery was March 2. Tumor came back cancer. I couldn't afford chemo and there were no guarantees even if I could.  I was left with basically just waiting for the next shoe to drop.....could be 2-4 weeks.....2-4 months.  Well Saturday April 8 early in the evening was that time.   My poor cat started having labored breathing so I took him to the emergency vet hospital where I had to make the worst decision   I knew it was the only right thing to do for him. I made sure there were no other options.   Needless to say, my heart is broken!  I'm very down in the dumps.  This cat was my baby!!  I don't even feel right being at my house because his presence is so missed here.  His unique personality made it known to anyone entering my home that he was the king.  I really miss him and I'm having a very hard time dealing with this. I felt like I was the only one going through this to this degree.  We are feeling the same.  Hopefully we can help each other through this. 

• Members

I'm sorry for your loss as well, and I'm glad you know you aren't alone.  I know it helps me to know that...even just a little.

It's so hard at night because we always had a routine.  I would give him his pain pill and vitamin with cheese and get him settled in his bed. I'm also afraid to sleep because it hurts to wake up only to be smacked with reality again. I keep trying to imagine him still being here and talking to him.

• Members

I lost my baby boy cat yesturday he was 3 an not like any cat IV ever had he followed me everywrere he was very vocal an it's so quiet here this morning he was run over an the car drove off , I'm full of guilt why didn't i keep him in i cant stop crying my daughter are in a terrible state also , i know how your both feeling so sad 

• Members

Don't ever blame yourself.  If you gave your cat a good loving home then you did everything right.   I find I have a more difficult time when I'm at home.  No longer anyone to greet me when I come in or when I get up in the morning.  I was so used to that and so used to always talking to him.   I really miss him a lot!  This is definitely more difficult than I thought it would be.  

• Moderators

Always, I am so sorry for your loss of your cat.  I will say a prayer for you and your dog as she is missing him.  It's so hard. 

Zacharra, I'm sorry you are going through it too.  I posted a video of the Rainbow Bridge in another thread but want to put one here too for all of you with your fresh losses...

• Members

Joanne, I'm sorry for your loss. What happened was not your fault - you couldn't have known what would happen. But I do understand the guilt. I keep thinking that maybe if I had just held him and took care of him through the night then maybe he would have recovered.  The vet assured us that we made the best decision for him, but I still can't help thinking about the "what if's".

Kay, thank you so much. I find some relief knowing everyone here loves their pets just as much as I do mine.

Archived