Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Take heart ,it can get better.

Tommy's mum

• Members
Tommy's mum

5d5f41086776b27e6b443362f962d990.jpgI am 18 months on from losing my son Tommy as some of you know, I have turned a massive corner in recovering very recently, and see hope where there was none before. For newer members it may seem impossible to believe that this will EVER happen, I know I felt the exact same way. Sometimes I just read posts and did not answer because my feelings were too raw, my emotions overwhelming and I could hardly see my way to the next hour let alone the next day. i could not EVER picture life being ok without my eldest son being in it, because he was an integral part of our family and he was gone. And it was so sudden and so unfair and so traumatic. It was too enormous to comprehend, too appallingly tragic, and I longed for it to be just a nightmare. I did not find this forum until last sept and there was a reason for this. I was NOT ready. Over time (and therapy!!) I saw wisdom in members words, saw beauty and truth in their quotes, agreed internally with some comments and not others and realised I was actually interacting with people who understood my bitterness, my anger, my longing to have my child back, my grieving ,and I began to feel a part of something that was honest and real. I recognised myself in others. I  took time away when it was too much for me to handle and came back again because i was drawn to wanting some advice, some validation of my feelings, some reassurance that i was normal and not completely crazy. Suffering with a mental illness is not being crazy it is just an undiagnosed and/or unmedicated disorder that affects your body and spirit too.Bereaved parents are many more times more likely to suffer depression or anxiety for obvious reasons but there is no reason why we cannot be made better. Take heart take hope, we will help each other to get there. It is not a quick fix, but I believe we will all be stronger, wiser, more empathetic humans who can offer that hand of friendship to others who feel they are drowning.

• Members

I lost my daughter emma at 8 1/2 months delivered. And said goodbye this was 2 weeks after I got the news that my fiance passed away over seas. Reading thos forum has helped me significantly! Thank you 

• Members
Tommy's mum

You are welcome. So sorry that you had two massive losses  for two of the most important people in your life and so close together. You must  have felt desperately lost for a long time. I hope you have found some healing and peace in your life going forward and if you feel able, please share your story with us. We  learn from each others experiences and recognize common bonds among us. Some parents come forward after a long time because they are still struggling, and their views and needs are just as real and valid as if it had happened very recently. Everyone is welcome here.

Archived