Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

organ donor

lovedones

• Members

Come May it will be 12 yrs that my husband is gone.  I can't believe it is that long already.  I was talking to my sons about it the other day.  They asked me how I keep myself together like I did.  They were 12 & 16 when their dad died. 

I told them because I had them and they needed me.  I had to keep going and comfort them, let them know that we would get through it together.  They wanted to know if I ever wondered if anything good would come out of dad dying.  I had to think for alittle.  Then I told them about 2 things I know that came good out of it.  About 4 months after he passed away I received a letter from someone telling me that thanks to our gift of organ donor,  2 children were given help. 

My husband passed awy due to a massive heart attack.  Drs couldn't use his organs.  But they could use his soft muscle and skin for graphing.  I recieved a card from a family stating that they had a bad house fire and thanks to the donation their young sons were able to have the burn injuries treated.  There was no names in the card.  I know due to the laws it is done like this.  But the parents needed to send us a card thanking us and hoping some how this would give us some comfort.

I thought this was so nice.  It did give me comfort and now also gives comfort to my sons.  I really wish more people would be organ donors.  

• Members

That was a very brave thing you did. My boyfriend was in an accident on jan 30th and passed away at the hospital a few hours later and when the doctors asked i just said no. even though Justin and i are both doner's in the moment i thought there was still hope. i didnt want to believe that he was passing and just wanted him to have everything. now looking back on it 31 days later i wish i did help someone out.

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss.  It is a hard thing to think about when something like this happens.  When a love one passes away suddenly your world is in turmoil.  Your mind sometimes hear what people are asking you know what you always wanted but due to the loss sometimes we just can't do it.  That is understandable.  It wasn't  easy when the drs asked me about my husband being a donor.  But I wanted something good to come out of his death.  I wanted my sons and my self to remember that their fathers wish was granted. 

My husband always donated his time for anything to do with helping children.  So my sons and I are comforted by the fact that at the end he still helped 2 more children.  I won't tell you that in time things will get better.  What happens is over time we learn how to cope with our loss. 

Archived