Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The widowhood effect: What it’s like to lose a spouse in your 30s

KC81

• Members

This is a poignant description of a young widow's experience with grief.   She lost her husband 3 years ago..  

This was just published in a major Canadian newspaper few days ago.  It's a long article, and at times can be moderately heavy to read. 

We all have our unique stories and personalities, and we grieve in our own ways, but I do identify with many parts of her story~

MEMOIR

SPECIAL TO THE GLOBE AND MAILLAST UPDATED: SUNDAY, DEC. 18, 2016

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/relationships/the-widowhood-effect/article33344335/?click=sf_globe

"When her husband died at 36, Christina Frangou was a statistical outlier: a young widow. She soon discovered that there was a name for the phenomenon surrounding her devastating grief and the toll it takes on those left behind"

my comment:

"Dear Christina, Thank you for sharing your beautiful journey with Spencer, in such heart-felt and moving words.
I'm 35, my wife was 32. I lost her less than 2 months ago due to Post-Partum Depression, when our son was 2 months old.
I am going through very similar practical and emotional circumstances, with the funeral being just 2 weeks ago. It is so difficult losing my other half, my best friend, my biggest support... right after the happiest time of our lives. I still vividly remember her smile when she lay at the operating table, looking at me & our very first baby. I recorded everything on camera, and it breaks my heart every time looking at it, or any of our tens of thousands of photos and videos together, from our travels around the world, to our inseparable daily life.
I started to write (on a Facebook page dedicated to her), I want more people to know about her story, our story.
I hope one day I'll be calm enough to be able to write a publishable memoir like you did.
Thank you."

Archived