Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Father Died of AML (Acute Myeloid Leukemia)

Shwahba Ranks

• Members
Shwahba Ranks

My father died of AML on December 2nd 2016. It has only been two days since he passed. I am trying to continue on with my life as a college student and am trying not to think about it too much. I loved my dad very much but I cant let go and grieve for him because I feel like I will lose control. I haven't told many people about his passing because the last thing I want is pity. I don't know if my mind has fully comprehended what has happened yet because I don't feel grief most of the time but I have been having crazy mood swings where I'm perfectly fine at one moment, but then out of no where anger and extreme sadness arise and I have to go somewhere alone and talk myself down. I'm fighting these intense emotions the best that I can but I'm concerned that one of these times I wont be able keep myself under control and I might just break down. His funeral is next Saturday and I don't know how to get mentally and emotionally prepared for it. I need advice.        

• Members

Dear Shwahba,

My deepest sympathies and condolences on the passing of your beloved father. Everyone grieves differently. Do not be so hard on yourself. Please let your family and friends help you. Everyone around will want to support you the best they can. The service will be very hard. Since you are a college student, maybe Student Services will be able to offer some supports like free counselling. Take care of your self.

Archived