Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Death of a Pet

dancetrip

• Members

Tomorrow is one year since Feebes was taken. I am already getting nervous. I can't make myself think too much about the attack or I hyper ventalate. but I am going to make it... I have my Landry now, but I feel bad, I just don't love him Like I love my Feebee. anyway, everyone take care and throw a prayer in for me please. kari

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hope you are doing Ok today. Try not to remember her death but her life. The last two days I have had a cry about my Casey. It is now three and a half months but I still miss him. I think I always will. Sometimes I wonder if we ever do completely get over their deaths whether tragic or quiet passing. They plave a paw print on our hearts that will stay forever. Kari - I'll send a prayer for you and all others who have lost their pets. Maybe Casey and Feebee are playing with each other at the Rainbow Bridge. Terri

• Members

You made me feel better, thank you. Feebee is playing i promise. and the thought of casey and feebees playing together made me feel really good. I did cry today, but I did try not to think about the details. Thank you so much, I am so glad there is some one out there that understands my pain. And for you, 3 and 1/2 months is short. I am so sorry, how did Casey go? I think I read about it but sometimes I'm grougy. love ya, kari

• Members

On December 31, 2005 at 505am Casey threw up and then gave out a very loud yelp. I jumped out of bed and went to him. He was lying in his bed and when I picked him up to see what was wrong has was dead. I yelled at my husband "Casey's dead. Casey's dead". He jumped up and turned on the bedroom light. I showed him Casey's limp body. But then I refused to let him go. I told him he could not leave me this way, we did not say goodbye. I began to rub his chest and smack his back. I blew into his nose. I lied him on carpet of our bedroom and rubbed his body back and forth really fast. My husabnd then said "I think he's breathing. He blinked!" I lied on the floor beside him and said Casey and his eyes moved and looked at me. I started to cry. We went to the vet when it opened and the vet said he had a heart attack. It was a good thing we were home to save him. We took him home and I gave him a bath, and we took a nap together. I carried him around with me and before I got into the shower I gave him a kiss and told him I always loved him thru good times and bad. I then patted his head and gave him one last kiss. He died about 10 minutes later. He was sitting on the couch with my husband when he had another attack. We could not save him this time. We both tried but then I told him to stop. To let Casey go. How many times are we to let him go thru an attack, which was obviously painful? When does us trying to save him become selfish that we don't want him to leave? He was 12 years old and he was extremely fiesty! He also had medical issues. His little heart was always going a mile a minute, running, jumping you name it. I miss my little man, but I am greatfull that I did get to say good bye, and that I kissed him one more time while he was alive. He did not live long between the attacks but at least I had another twelve hours with him. I will always love him. Terri

• Members

Terry, you are lucky. I wish I could have held Feebee. I did after the fact. I laid my head on her and cried and cried. I was hysterical. When the cops came I could bearly fill out paper work because I was shaking so bad. I can't think about it right now... i'll get back. love, kari

• Members
findingmyselfagain

Hi everyone. I've never posted on here, but I've read some and wanted to share my loss that isn't really a death, but a loss all the same. I lost my husband in February to suicide. He dialed 911 right before he shot the gun. When the police responded to the 911 call, they found him in our bedroom. At the time, we had two pets, a golden lab and a big fat happy cat. Belle and Jasper, respectively. The police found Belle laying beside my husband and Jasper laying on his chest. They were unable to locate me (so they say), so they called animal control to come get the animals.

They held them in the shelter for two days while I was trying to figure out what to do. I was torn. I knew that if I brought them back to the house, they would immediately look for him. They knew something wasn't right. I knew that they had been traumatized and felt horrible bringing them back into the house where they would spend endless hours searching for their "dad".

I finally decided that rather than subject my poor sweet dog to any further trauma, I would reluctantly relinquish her to the humane society. Jasper has Feline Aids, so he wouldn't have been put up for adoption. He would've been put down if I relinquished him. So I decided that I would go ahead and bring Jasper home and try to give him all the love and reassurance that I could. On my way to the humane society to pick up Jasper, apparently a friend of Scott's had called them and said that he would take Jasper if I was unable to keep him. They told me this when I walked in to pick him up. I decided to go ahead and let Scott's friend take Jasper. I felt horrible, but knew that I was protecting them from such a horrific event. I found out that Belle was adopted by a family who lives in a rural neighborhood. She has a huge yard, children to play with, and lots of love and affection. Jasper is doing very well. Fat and happy, just the way he wants to be!

After giving up our pets, my house felt so empty. There was no life in it anymore. On the 6 week anniversary of my husbands death, I got 2 kittens, brothers named Scovas and Angel. Names relevant to Scott. They've never been around other cats or dogs. So I had a friend of mine over for a few days who has a 5 year old non-neutered pitbull. Who loves to eat cats. At first, the kittens didn't want anything to do with the dog and the dog just wanted a snack. Scovas, being the brave little guy that he is, decided that he was going to make friends whether this dog wanted to or not. He strolled right up to him and began to purr and rub all over him. The dog was shocked!!! But Scovas just kept right on until the dog loved him right back. Over the course of a few days, they became buddies. Scovas was even on his belly this morning, letting the dog nuzzle all over him, just purring away. It was so sweet to watch my little tiny kitten purr at getting his little head licked by this massive pitbull tongue.

Angel didn't come around so quickly. He just this morning let the dog sniff him and just yesterday sniffed noses.

When I let my pets go, I didn't think I'd ever love another animal. I was ridden with guilt as well as overwhelmed by grief at the loss of my husband and pets. My "family". Today, I have two of the sweetest kittens on earth. And just like their "dad", are willing to accept anyone regardless of who or what they are. I love these two little goofballs! They really have brought me joy. I hope my story has brought some hope to all of you.

I am truly sorry for your losses.

Erin

• Guests
Guest Guest

I had to put my beloved Shepard/husky mix "Dusky" down yesterday. She had been very ill for a month and the vet's (bless her) efforts to help her did not work. I buried her in the back yard. My kids were were a little freaked out because they had never seen daddy cry. They are a little young to understand what happened. The pain of her loss is unbearable right now. I'm 43 and have never felt such pain. Dusky has a wonderful dog and there is a huge hole in my life without her. She was my first dog. God bless you and thank you for being a part of my life. Her pain is gone. Rest in peace my beautiful dog.

• Members
merribeth

Guest Iam sorry for the lose of your pet, may I suggest you go to the web sight Rainbow Bridge, it is a wonderful place, for those who have lost their beloved pet. Merribeth

• Members

I am very sorry for the loss of Dusky. I know the pain is real, sharp and numbing at points. Allow yourself to grieve. Your pet was more than a pet, she was family. Try not to think of her death but remember her life. Your life has been enriched because she was in it. What I found helped was writing Casey a letter. I sat down and before I knew it I had written eight pages. I poured my heart out in those pages and when I finished I actually had a bit of a calming feeling. I am also making a collage of pictures of Casey and the people who cared about him and vice versa. From puppy to an old dog, he was always my little love. It has been over four months and I miss him. It is true that time does help you heal and you need lots of time (I still cry from time to time but not daily anymore). You will never forget Dusky but know that life does keep going. You will make it through this terrible, awful time. When Casey passed away two peoples comments stuck with me. One said \'love deeply, grieve deeply\'. The other said \'your grief is an indication of you love\'. You need to grieve, you need to cry. You loved her and she loved you. Remember that you will see her again at the Rainbow Bridge. Take care and let us know how you are doing, Terri

• Members
loveyoudusky

Thank you for your help. It's very hard to put her death, even though peaceful, out of my mind. I treasure my last day with her. She used to walk with me daily but she could only keep up for a short time the last week. She would wait until I did my next lap by the house, come out to greet me for a bit, then wait for my next lap around. She would watch me the whole time she could not be with me. My vet sent a rose for us and a nice card with the Rainbow Bridge story with it. Everything seems so strange, there are reminders of her everywhere around the house. I will write the letter as soon as I can get the strength to do it right. I need to find all my Dusky photos. I'm sorry for your loss of Casey. I didn't realize how attached I was to Dusky until she passed.

• Members

I know the reminders are very hard. Their water bowl, little sweater, dog cookies etc. Not a day goes by that I do not think of Casey. His urn is in our bedroom and somedays I'll give it a kiss and say love you little man and somedays I stand in front of it and cry. Twelve years was just not long enough. (I wrote about Casey's passing on April 16). Just hold in your heart that someday you will look into those beautiful eyes again and never to be parted. I know Casey is waiting for me. My Grandpa's companion of over 30 years passed away about a month ago and she sent me such a nice letter about Casey's passing saying 'he is in good hands, he is safe'. I think he was there to greet her and they are together now. Keeping eachother company til the rest of us join them. Keep in touch. The road you are on now is a hard and painful one but I promise you it will get better. You need time. I found I needed three months to start feeling normal again. Terri

• Members
loveyoudusky

Terri,

Thanks again for your kind words and advice. I put a large stone next to her and a solar light. My boys and I launched a helium balloon with notes to Dusky on it. I found a bunch of Dusky pictures, those really help. She's happy and healthy. Hope everything is getting better for you. Thank you again!

• Administrators

Hello,

We have had requests on the suggestion board for something that people can wear to show they are grieivng. We created a pin and a braclet to let people know that we are remembering the ones we have loved. You can see them at http://www.redjetmedia.com/pins/special.htm. In the future we can make a pin that might say remember my pet or honor my pet. This is the first in the series to see if these items appeal to people in helping them honor the memories of their loved ones.

Kelly

• Members

Does anyone out there experienced natural death of your beloved pet? I am asking this question because we could not agree to euphemize our beloved cat, Kris. She\'s been with me last 10 years(with my husband for 6 years), she is a beautiful longhaired mainecoon. She started showing her illness 4 weeks ago. We took her to a conventional vet several times for all sorts of tests. Her beautiful wrists were shaved for needles numerous times. After all the test, she didn’t\'t get better, she was more depressed, and vet suggested to put her to sleep on the site last Thursday. He said that her lung is being filled with fluid, and she was not goign to last. How can we euphemize her at her most hateful place? We brought her back home with the hope of her passing in short period of time. We cried, apologized, thanked her...we are still crying last 3 days. While we've been almost force feeding her the first 4 weeks, she stopped last 3 days. she can not swallow. The smell of food makes her nauseous. She sometimes drinks a few sip of tuna juice when we bring it to her. She rarely moves, but still use the cat box, and makes a great effort to jump up on our bed once a day when we are sleeping, but she didn't stay there that long (she used to sleep with us all the time before). We accepted she was dying, but it is so painful to see her deteriorates. We have been praying for her peaceful passing every day and night. She is not suffering but her eyes are so sad...(to us). All the sites I check are about euthenizing dying pets. we decided not to do that, besides, she is still alive with dignity and love. We made this decision for her. She doesn't even know about euthenisation. We promised her that she never need to endure any more needles nor car ride to vet's. It is really hard for us emotionally. Our eyes are swollen from crying. I pray that this will end soon. Does anyone experience this type of waiting? I have a desperate need to be connected with someone who understands what I am talking about. Thank you for reading this.Meg

• Members

Dear megchat,

It is always a terribly difficult decision to euthanize a pet. I have had to make that decision with my last six pets, over the last 15 years or so. I know that there are many vets who will actually come to your home and do it for you if you request. If it is too difficult to watch your pet suffering, maybe this is something you want to consider. If you decide it\'s time to have her put down and doing it at home is not an option, I\'m betting that your vet can give you a prescription medication like Valium that will calm her down to the point that she will not even realize that she is at the vet\'s office. When I had to have my cat put down a couple of years ago he was quite anxious and in pain when we arrived at the vet and as soon as it was clear what was going to have to be done, the vet game him a mild sedative that calmed him very quickly. I was then able to spend time alone, holding him and talking to him until I was ready to have the vet give him the final injection. He was snuggled in my arms, completely unafraid.

Although it is an agonizing decision and one I hope I never have to make again, it is often the kindest thing we can do for our pets. Three years ago I had to have my dear friend and companion of 13 years put down. Hannah was a huge lab/retriever mix and was the sweetest animal I have ever had. Someone once told me that we all have that "once in a lifetime dog." That was Hannah and it broke my heart to have to put her down. She developed cancer in her leg that grew very quickly and the morning she could no longer get up I knew it was time. I have held, stroked and talked to every pet I have ever had euthanized and although it is so hard, I felt it is the only way I would ever do it. The last thing they see is your face and the last touch they remember is from the person who has loved them and stroked them and hugged them for many years. It is also a peaceful, pain-free death, which in the end is what I wanted for my dear pets.

Again, I would suggest that you contact your vet to see if they will come to your home. If they will not do it, make a few more calls. I have a number of friends who have had their pet put down at home.

Best Wishes,

DianeS

• Members
nicolebrooke

Yes! The 'once in a lifetime' pet. My dog was my best friend and protector. Stokely. I mean he really was special. I put him down March 12. And the vet came to my house also. The poor thing had been to the vet sooooo many times. It was a relief and very peaceful. He had his loved ones around him and was in his room on his bed. He had been sick for 2 yrs and had to have his very own space to rest everyday.

We put his ashes in a potted plant and put a beware of dog sign on it.

Oh I cried for weeks everyday. I thought about him 24/7. But now when I think of him I only tear up and smile. I already had another dog and he has made it easier. When I pet him I am petting Stokely too.

• Members
loveyoudusky

I put my beloved Dusky (shepard husky mix) down last month. It was an agonizing decision. The last night she was miserable. I couldn't stand her obvious discomfort and misery. She was brave and was peaceful at the end. The vet ws wonderful and she passed very peacefully. I still cry my eyes out thinking of her and when I visit her grace. She was my "once in a lifetime" dog. Life has been hard this month but it's getting easier to remember her in health and happiness rather than sick and unhappy. See you on the other side Big D. I'll never forget you.

• Members

It will be six months soon that my Casey passed away. Although the pain is not as intense I still think of him with a tear in my eye. Somehow, when you have a pet you loved so dearly and they pass on, I don't think 'that hole' in your life ever leaves you. You have been enriched by having them in your lives but the void they have left will never be filled. I still look at the spot where his bed used to be and then I'll give his urn a kiss. Miss you boy, I love you.

Til I see you again 'manny'

Terri

• Members
nicolebrooke

Hi Terri

I think you are right about that void never being filled. I put my Stokely down March 12. It is even hard to write his name. What a wonderful dog, a gift.

He definately enriched my life. He was a Pitbull, I got him for protection after a violent home invasion. He was just 10 wks old. And he really sensed my needs and was there for me. A sweet gentle loving animal - the stereotype is not true!

What kind of dog was Casey? and why did he pass? Stokely had a type of cancer and he just wasted away, he was on meds for 2 yrs before I decided I wouldn't put him through it any more. I stopped all the treatments and then about 6 wks later put him down. The vet didn't want me to, he said he would take him and continue trying. But I knew my baby and it was time.

• Members

I am very sorry to hear about Stokely. They are truly a treasure. Casey was a purebred Yorkshire Terrier. A 7 lb. ball of fiesty fur. Oh, how I loved him! Casey passed away on New Years Eve, he was 12 yrs. (If you are interested I wrote the story of his passing on April 16th. He had a heart attack, I gave him CPR and he lived for another 12 hrs. until another attack took him). What an absolutely devastating day. I am grateful though that our daughters did not see it. They were three at the time and it would have been very confusing and upsetting for them. I don't think either way, sudden death or them down, is any easier. Anyway you look at it it is good bye. Only a true pet lover knows our pain.

Keep in touch,

Terri

• Members

I have been posting on Miss Him for the past 2 yers almost. Today I had to come

here to post because my husbands dog, chance, is dying. We noticed a lump on

his back a couple of weeks ago, but chance has a bad heart and the doctor

didnt think he could undergo surgery to do a biopsy.

Chance is 14 years old, a mix of lab and alfa alpsa. He is about 50lbs, but I

remember when we got him, he fit in the palm of my hand. He went to flea

markets with me and my husband used to take him to McDonalds for lunch.

Chance got to know the sign and would get excited whenever he rode by.

Chance also got to know our bank, for they would give him a biscuit whenever

he was with us.

My husband will have been gone 2 years on the 27th of this month. I watched

him die and now I am watching Chance. Chance isnt in pain, but he just

lays around and hasnt eaten in 2 days, today will be the third day.

I am going to call the vet this morning, I cant watch chance like this

and I dont want him in pain. He has been a good watchdog, companion for

all of us for 14 years and I wont have him suffer.

This is going to be a really hard day for me, my son is leaving for

Massachuesettes this morning and he wont be able to go with me. So I will

be alone when I have chance put to sleep.

Well, I got to go take my anxiety meds before I call the vet and make

arrangements for Chance. I am going to miss Chance so much, he was my

protector. I have been asking Bob to meet Chance and to let me know that

he met him and they are both fine.

Thanks for listening.

God Bless

JOyce

• Members
nicolebrooke

Hi Joyce,

It is so hard to put a pet down and I can only imagine how hard it must be to put down a pet that was someones who has passed.

Just remember that you know that dog better than anyone and if you think that it is time then it is. And you are doing a good thing for the animal. It takes alot of strength and love to do it too.

I hope it was as painless and peaceful as possible.

• Members

juliekingsley,

Please re-read the posts. I believe you meant to reply to someone else. I did not post anything about my husband having died. In fact, I did not post anything about a husband, period. You might want to take another look at the posts. I'm not sure who you meant your reply for, but it surely was not me. In fact, I just scanned previous posts and I really don't even see what the heck you're talking about. Your post was pretty harsh and I wanted to make it clear that you've replied to the wrong person.

Here's what I wrote:

Dear megchat, It is always a terribly difficult decision to euthanize a pet. I have had to make that decision with my last six pets, over the last 15 years or so. I know that there are many vets who will actually come to your home and do it for you if you request. If it is too difficult to watch your pet suffering, maybe this is something you want to consider. If you decide it\'s time to have her put down and doing it at home is not an option, I\'m betting that your vet can give you a prescription medication like Valium that will calm her down to the point that she will not even realize that she is at the vet\'s office. When I had to have my cat put down a couple of years ago he was quite anxious and in pain when we arrived at the vet and as soon as it was clear what was going to have to be done, the vet game him a mild sedative that calmed him very quickly. I was then able to spend time alone, holding him and talking to him until I was ready to have the vet give him the final injection. He was snuggled in my arms, completely unafraid. Although it is an agonizing decision and one I hope I never have to make again, it is often the kindest thing we can do for our pets. Three years ago I had to have my dear friend and companion of 13 years put down. Hannah was a huge lab/retriever mix and was the sweetest animal I have ever had. Someone once told me that we all have that "once in a lifetime dog." That was Hannah and it broke my heart to have to put her down. She developed cancer in her leg that grew very quickly and the morning she could no longer get up I knew it was time. I have held, stroked and talked to every pet I have ever had euthanized and although it is so hard, I felt it is the only way I would ever do it. The last thing they see is your face and the last touch they remember is from the person who has loved them and stroked them and hugged them for many years. It is also a peaceful, pain-free death, which in the end is what I wanted for my dear pets. Again, I would suggest that you contact your vet to see if they will come to your home. If they will not do it, make a few more calls. I have a number of friends who have had their pet put down at home. Best Wishes, DianeS

• Members
nicolebrooke

Hey DianeS, The message you received on this board from a member on 6/22 was deleted because it contained a personal attack.

Please everyone - post only encouraging, supportive and understanding messages!

Thanks

• Members

It is now over six months since Casey passed away. I have been working on a colage of his life and it will be finished soon. On Sunday we went to our friends' cabin and we would usually leave Casey with my mom and dad, I was always afraid he would get lost. He was a seven pound Yorkie and basically a house dog, not very outside savy. Sometimes I think he loved my mom and dad's better than our place. He, he. As I was making sure we had everything (the cooler, swim stuff for the kids etc) I was overcome with tears. This was the first time since his death that I did not worry where he was or was going. It felt very strange. Before we left I went to his urn and gave it a kiss. I love you little man. Sometimes I wonder if the pain and loss will ever completely go away.

Terri

• Members

Surviving a Heart Attack (just read)

This one is definitely worth your minute: I suffered a heart attack recently and I did one thing that brought almost immediate relief.

With all my strength I tried to stretch my body and overcome the bending position one is forced to when suffering a heart attack.

I put myself in supine position, put my STRETCHED ARMS TO THE SIDES at slightly greater tha right angle and stopped tossing and turning and moving my fingers, which I thought was the best way to REDUCE ADRENALINE – the main culprit of a HA. I felt almost immediate improvement in the depth of my breath, the pain the muscle cramp started receding. After 15 minutes I was able to stand up.

Putting arms to the sides looks to make the chest and muscles inside it expand and that streches the cramped heart muscle (like soccer players stretch their cramped calf by bending the foot to the maximum, just raise your arms above the head level and you can see it does make the chest expand). Staying totally motionless seems to induce a state of maximum relaxation of the body (which reduces adrenaline.) and muscles (including the heart muscle).

Please try using this technique when facing death. It can really help you and your relatives survive a heart attack.

Greetings

Peter

• Guests
Guest Guest

It's been 3 months now since I lost my beautiful doggy Monkey. A staffy x, tan and white - we called her 'triple stripe' sometimes because she would get three little wrinkles on the each side of her mouth when she was smiling and happy. After 11 wonderful years of loving her (probably more than anything or anyone in my life), she came down with a quickly degenerating spinal problem. We took her to the vet in the hope that she might come good after some treatment and rest. This wasn't the case and, one afternoon, when the pain was too much for her, she severely bit my husband on the hand. We rang the vet straight away to organise her euthanasia and went into shock. She was put to sleep the following evening at my house. Two days later, I had to take hubby to hospital to get treatment for his hand which became severly infected, resulting in a week stay and further trauma. I've sort of been in shock ever since and don't seem to be able to move on from these incredibly distressing images of her last days. I am also riddled with guilt that I didn't act sooner, particularly as her pain was so severe and it caused her to bite, whcih she would NEVER do. I don't discuss her passing with hubby as he is still angry with her for what she did to his hand. I know what I should be doing in terms of remembering her beautiful times with us but I have to struggle and fight to stop the sadness and memories of her death taking over. So here I am, crying over my computer and wondering if you or your readers can help me...

• Members
nicolebrooke

Hi Guest

I put down my pitbull Stokely in March. He looked alot like a staffy. He degenerated quickly as well and I think he suffered a few days more because I put off putting him down. He didn't bite anyone but he bled all over the house for days, ruined several things and I could tell my live-in boyfriend was getting really disgusted and just wanted him gone. I hope your husband isn't angry for long.

I re-lived his last days for months also, mostly feeling guilty about not doing more. But now automatically the good times come to mind first.

• Guests
Guest Guest

I just wanted to write today because I had to put down my cat, Kitty Bear, this morning. I feel so sad but she was ill and losing weight rapidly and had what is called the Wasting Syndrome that accompanies end-stage FIV. She had a tumor in her mouth and then developed edema in her hind leg that caused her to limp. She was such a wonderful little cat. She adopted me off the streets just a year ago, she was old and sick when I found her and she became such a sweet little companion. She would come to the door when I came home at night and loved to snuggle when I watched television. Everytime she heard the clock radio go off in the morning she would come into my bedroom and jump on the bed and knead my hair so that I would get up and feed her. I feel guilty that I put her down but it seemed like she just kept losing weight and accumulating more and more problems and she couldn\'t jump or clean herself because of her back leg. I didn\'t want to give her any more treatments and I didn't want her to be in pain or to suffer. I'm a doctor and work with people who are dying a lot, but this is one of my first personal losses. I will miss her -- even though she was only with me for a year -- she brought a lot to my life.

• Members
nicolebrooke

Hi Guest,

I know how you feel. I am sure you did the right thing, putting her down. After all, you knew her best and loved her. I imagine she thanks you for everything you did for her. She really seems like a sweet heart.

Glad you found this site,

Nicole

• Guests
Guest Guest

My 16 year old cat, Victoria, died today at 10:30 am. She was a beautiful Maine Coon with a heart to match-always by my side. Her death hasn't totally affected me yet - it will when I get home tonight and bury her. I miss my girl.

• Guests
Guest Guest
My 16 year old cat, Victoria, died today at 10:30 am. She was a beautiful Maine Coon with a heart to match-always by my side. Her death hasn't totally affected me yet - it will when I get home tonight and bury her. I miss my girl.

• Members

DEAR GUEST ..IT HAS BEEN A MONTH SINCE YOU HAD TO PUT YOUR CAT DOWN.............YOUR CAT IS FINE..YOU DID WHAT NEEDED TO BE DONE..DONT FEEL GUILTY......YOUR CAT WAS SUFFERING SO MUCH AND I AM SURE SHE IS DOING FINE ON THE OTHER..SIDE............WE HAD TO PUT DONW ONE OF OURS AFTER MANY YEARS..SHE HAD CANCER OF THE MOUTH AND I HAD TO FORCE FEED HER..SHE BLED AND ROOF OF HER MOUTH WAS GONE........FROM CANCER..WE FELT BAD..BUT WE ........KNOW...SHE IS OK...IT IS A HARD DECISION TO MAKE..BUT I THINK IF OUR ANIMALS ARE SUFFERING LIKE THAT ..WE ARE DOING THEM JUSTICE BY PUTTING THEM TO SLEEP.......AND NOT LET THEIR PAIN AND SUFFERING LINGER ON JUST BECAUSE WE DONT WANT TO LET GO..IT IS THE ULTIMATE ACT OF LOVE TO LET GO OF SOMETHING OR SOMEONE..........INSTEAD OF HANGING ON TO THEM ..BECAUSE WE CANT LET GO..REST ASSURED...YOU DID THE RIGHT THING..AND SOMEDAY.........WHEN YOU LEAVE THIS EARTH...SHE WILL RUN UP TO YOU..PURRING AND LET YOU KNOW SHE WAS GRATEFUL YOU DID WHAT YOU DID.

MAY PEACE FILL YOUR HEART TONITE

MESSENGER

• Members

Luckily, I didn't have to put her down (Victoria, my Maine Coon). She simply went to sleep. As long as she wasn't suffering, I didn't want to have to euthanize. I know she's at peace, thus the healing process continues for me. I had her cremated so her remains can accompany me when it's my turn....no regrets. I ran across a short story about 'Rainbow Bridge' that was helpful.

Thanks for your support.

• Guests

I just lost my dog Cocoa. She was a pug mix. She was with us for 11 years and having to put her down has torn me apart. I having such a hard time. I dont do anything anymore, but sit and think of her and cry. I cant stand not having her around anymore. She now is on the fireplace and I talk to her and kiss her good morning and good night everyday. Even when I leave the house. I feel like my heart has been split in two and never will be whole again. She was the best friend that I ever had. She listened and I swear the way she looked at me she knew what to say back. I hope she dont hate me for having to put her down. But she had sugar and it came on fast and just started to effect her. I just wish I could of saved her. I hate to come home knowning she is not waiting to greet me. I miss so much. That is all for now, as I cant see once again through the tears. It has only been a few weeks, but I just can't seem to stop crying. People tell me to get another pet, but I ask, if you lost a child would you replace that child with another one?

she is forever in my heart.

Angela

• Members

Angela,I have a beautiful Scottie that has helped hold me together since my husband's death in July. I have loved and lost dogs before but Niki is special and I understand what you are feeling as you grieve for Cocoa. Try to find a copy of the children's book "Dog Heaven" by Cynthia Rylant. I own it because it so speaks to those of us who love our doggies. It will bring you comfort.... Cocoa will definitely be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge! MJ

• Members

Mj,

Thank I will check out that book. I am sorry for your loss. I don't even want to think about that when it is so hard to lose a pet. I am truly sorry for your loss. And I do believe Cocoa will be waiting for me when it is my turn.

Angela

• Members

Well, sunday the 24 will be one month that I lost Cocoa. I miss her so much. I keep her toy on my bed and sleep with it by my head every night. I try not to be home to much because being alone just kills me. I sit and just cry. Tonight on the way home. I lost it in the car, just thing how I will get through sunday. It hurts so much to not have her around. People ask me if I will get another dog. No way! I just want her back. I hope she is looking down at me knowing how much I love her. She was such a great dog. Bless you Cocoa Mommy loves you.............

• Members

I am so sorry about you missing Cocoa so badly. I think eventually another dog or puppy will bring comfort but I know it will take awhile before you can face that. I have a friend who lost her golden the end of June. She swore never again but there's a new puppy at her house as of last week. She says it has really been a good decidion. When you're ready, think about it. Until then do some research about the Rainbow Bridge and know Cocoa is up there running with the others but will turn her head as soon as you come into view and you'll be together again.

• Members

Rodless,

Thanks so much for your kind words. Yesterday was hard but I did try to keep busy, but Cocoa was always still on my mind. I sure do hope to some day see her again. As for another dog. Nope, promise I made to my husband when we got her that she would be the last. He is not an animal lover, but Cocoa also touched his life. I think she was the 1st dog he loved. But I also promised her the day I had to put her down NEVER TO REPLACE HER. And I wont. I turely dont think I could ever be fair to another pet and that is a main reason for noth getting another one. I am glad others can open their hearts and take on another pet. Good luck to your friend and her NEW BEST FRIEND.

Angela

• Guests

My Basset Hound Edgar died three months ago on June 26th from bloat. I witnessed his last minutes on Earth and am haunted by that vision. It was a preventable death. Ten years ago I lost my Basset Hound Albert Eienstein to a tragic preventable death, too. With Edgar's death, Albert's comes and hits me in the face as is every loss I have experienced in my lifetime. I cannot sleep, I am overeating, I am suffering from extreme PTSD and cannot find help, though I am seeing a therapist and mentioned all of this but he does not reccommend anyone who has PTSD therapy as their primary cousre of care. I am terrified of taking medication as I fear if my othr pets need me, I might be too sleepy or sleeping to help them. I do not have emotional support from my husband or family. My other pets are so depressed because I am. MY heart breaks for them as they try to comfort me and still look for Edgar in the backyard. I rarely leave my house now and I am afraid all of the time. I desperately need sleep. Things are not getting better.

• Members

I lost my brother August 5, 2006, and took in his dog Pooch (doberman/boxer) after my brother's death. It was the very comforting to be able to help in this way, to be there for Pooch to transition, etc. Unfortunately, after having him with our family only two short weeks, he was diagnosed with bone cancer, with no treatment options available. We lost him Sept. 28. I was ripped apart with grief, both for my brother and his dog, whom I felt was mine now. There is no sense to be made of this. I can only go on living, trying to honor their memories in some way.

• Members

Guest,

I do understand where you are coming from. I am afraid that I a too am over eating over the lost of my dog. When I home alone all I do is cry. I still have her bowl sitting there waiting for her and her glass of water in the bathroom (she did not want to go downstairs at night to drink and had to have bathroom water). I have her sitting above the fireplace and kiss the box she is in and her picture. The other day my husband and I were on the couch and I found a cherrio in the couch and it just killed me (those were one of her treats to help her lose weight). I just know when Cocoa left me there is a huge whole in my heart and it will never ever heal. I went and got me a second to help take up the time so that I am not sitting and crying. I try to go to sleep when I am home as hope of helping me to not cry as much. I lost Cocoa 2 months ago and it was sudden. We had one week to make a desicion that kills me evertime I think about it. I will never forget that day and how bad it was to put her down. I will never have another pet as I can never go through this again. Plus that was a promise I made her right before they gave her the medicine. She was a part of our family for 11 years. She was not a pet but another member. I hope you can some how find comfort in your other pets, not to replace your loss but to help you get through it. I feel like your pets still looking for Cocoa............ People told me to go read rainbow bridges. ( i hope that is right just read down and you will find what I am talking about). I cant say it will help, but it brings me hope that some day she will be waiting to see me again..... god bless you

• Members

Toddssister,

I am sorry for your loss both in your brother and his/your new pet. Even though your brothers dog was with you a short time. I know you knew this dog when it lived with your brother. I hope you can take comfort in knowing they are together. No one should go through a double loss like that. I am a lost of words for you.

• Members

I am so sorry for everyone who ahs lost a pet for whatever reason they suffered the loss. I am so thankful to Cocoasmom for writing and comforting me. And for toddssister, I can imagine the grief you are feeling now having lost your brother and now his dog, what little time the pup had left, they did not spend it alone.

I want to write more but today is a bad day and I tend to be wordy, graphic and out of control from my guilt and grief so I will say only, I pray God comfort you with His love today and that the healing process we all need is already beginning.

• Members
I am so sorry for everyone who ahs lost a pet for whatever reason they suffered the loss. I am so thankful to Cocoasmom for writing and comforting me. And for toddssister, I can imagine the grief you are feeling now having lost your brother and now his dog, what little time the pup had left, they did not spend it alone.

I want to write more but today is a bad day and I tend to be wordy, graphic and out of control from my guilt and grief so I will say only, I pray God comfort you with His love today and that the healing process we all need is already beginning.

BTW, I am Guest.

• Members

I do not want to keep going on like this, I am so haunted and my husband blew me off again last night saying "We talked about this the night Edgar died." I told him grief does not have a timetable or a deadline and that things will come up again and again and I can't help my tears and screaming, anger, etc. He says he doesn't blame me but I know him too well. I asked him if he felt guilty he said no. If he missed Edgar and he got mad at me. Please pray for me I am going out of my mind putting on a happy face and my Mommy Chihuahua Bitsy is unable to keep weight on as my grief and depression is felt so completely by her.

Susan

• Members

Thanks for the support. I cannot question this, must only accept it or I'd go insane. Connecting with others who have suffered losses does help. Peace.

Archived