Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

New Year

Alone

• Members

I was reminded by someone that 01/01/2014 is just another box on the calendar. There is nothing magical about that date and the world will not be suddenly better because I've hung a new calendar on the wall. Nor will the world be suddenly worse because it is a new year. It is another day filled with challenges and blessings. However it is another date filled with memories and traditions so please remember to be kind to yourselves.

I pray that we can all find more blessings than challenges today, tomorrow, and each day after.

• Members

This is not a good time for me and I am really feeling it creeping in on me. 1/2/13 is the last time I spoke to my husband. Actually, the last time I saw him. 1/4/13 is the time of death on his certificate but I know he passed 1/3/13 before he ever got to the hospital. There is no way this new year can be better, no way. Not without my husband by my side. Crap, it is hitting me all over again like it just happened.

• Members

HeyJude - I wish there was something I could do to ease your pain. I fear January also as I am reliving events of January 2013. Last year at this time we were scheduling more chemo and a stem cell transplant (SCT) - our last chance to save my Tom's life. The horror of the SCT process is only surpassed by the horror of my Tom's passing in July.

My original post on this discussion was because an insensitive ass told me that the new year is coming and all will be better. Like you, I know that turning the page on the calendar will not magically remove my pain.

• Members

Yeah, how in the hell can these people say that it will be a better year?? How in the hell can it be better? I am just about completely out of funds and will begin living week to week. I took a 1/2 cut financially when my husband died as I'm sure most of you did. We have to face another year of holidays etc without them. That overwhelming, gut wrenching feeling of being so scared of having to do all this by myself is always just at the point of boiling over. To me It is just another year to try and get through.

• Members

The new year will just plain suck... I pretty much skipped Xmas and New Year all together this year. Everyone is out partying and having a good time. I spent my time on FB playing simple minded games to pass the time not having to think about what had just happened... Xmas was a bad time. The tree was up, HIS presents were underneath that tree. On Christmas eve I just unwrapped them all and put them in a box... I unwrapped my own and put them up just as well.. I luckily had showed him all his presents before he died, not sure why but I couldn't keep it a secret. He grinned. so sweet, he helped me wrap the presents. He tried at least, trying to get the tape cut off the tape holder and handing me the pieces. It took 3 hours longer but I felt I needed to include him in as much as I could to make him feel worthy... He couldn't do much anymore, his hands wouldn't work... He almost gave up with the tape but I told him he was doing good and it's helping me a lot. He knew i was telling him that just cuz... but he just smiled at me... He nodded his head when I was cutting the paper all crocked.... if he would of been able to talk he'd tell me to be more neat... sigh... and than not 1 day later, it's all over...

Archived