Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Don't make any big decisions - even a cat

backyarder1

• Members

I know everyone tells you not to make any big decisions while you are grieving. But I went out and got a cat yesterday and it was NOT a good decision. I am still really in the middle of my grieving process, plus I have a million heart-breaking things to do around the house. And I thought a cat might help. But instead, she is just making me sadder. Mainly because I already feel like I need to get rid of her.

She was knocking things down and breaking things in the middle of the night and just meows all the time. I really feel like I need this quiet time to be alone with my husband's spirit and my thoughts about him and about God and the cat is disturbing all of that.

SOOOOO, listen to what everyone says. Don't make any hasty decisions while you are grieving.

• Members

Kitten or cat? Please give the animal some time to adjust. I have a feeling everything will be okay in a few days.

• Members
MissingDaniel

I did the same thing. I went out and got a cat from the shelter the month after I lost my husband thinking that it would be comforting. I do have children at home, so it wasn't just me there, but at first she wanted more attention than I could seem to manage to give. She would meow a lot, and I felt like I wasn't giving her the love that I should because I was too distracted. But it has gotten better. There are times now when the kids are off doing other things that I will sit with her and pet her, and it's calming. But it took some time to get there. So maybe with time you can work it out. But if not, just find her the best home you can and don't beat yourself up.

Archived